Generation Z, Millenials, The Free Market, and Our Basketball Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
    Really, down/rebuilding year and the Shockers with an 8-2 record versus last seasons record at this point in the season?
    It was "seen" as a down and rebuilding year. I've had countless people who would call themselves college basketball fans ask "how is Wichita State going to handle not having VanVleet or Baker around?"

The average fan obviously thought it was going to be a rebuilding year, no matter what we on shockernet thought.

Comment

Really, down/rebuilding year and the Shockers with an 8-2 record versus last seasons record at this point in the season?
      Yes, really. We're talking about perception, which as we all know, is reality. Whether it's real or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
        I wonder if they should consider some sort of local Cox 22 blackout for games that don't sell out. Or maybe only broadcast in standard definition. If the game experience is now better in someone's home then there is little incentive to go out.

Just trying to think outside the box.
        Standard definition doesn't exist anymore... base cable is HD or close enough

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          One aspect of cultural change I haven't seen mentioned is the effect of entertainment overload. I look at just the difference within my own family from when I grew up (80s) and now. There are so many more entertainment options and indulging in those options. Concerts, sporting events, video games, etc. Going to a basketball game - when you've been to so many, seen so many on TV and "played" so many while sitting on the sofa - just isn't an event at the same level as it once was. I don't think kids and young adults get as excited about these things anymore. Less excitement means less motivation to go consistently, or at all.

I also think the recent success is partly to blame. This was seen as a down/rebuilding year, so there was less hype and anticipation, resulting in some jumping off the bandwagon.
          This - when I was a kid of the 1980's going to a shocker game or Wings game was the most exciting thing that could possible happen... now my son is five and the game isn't very compelling to him (he misses all the options he currently has in life that didn't exist when I was a kid).

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            It was "seen" as a down and rebuilding year. I've had countless people who would call themselves college basketball fans ask "how is Wichita State going to handle not having VanVleet or Baker around?"

The average fan obviously thought it was going to be a rebuilding year, no matter what we on shockernet thought.
            I do not disagree the average fan thought Shocker success resided on the presence of FVV and RB; however, the reality is quite different. Those of us who believe and trust in HC3G viewed the Shockers differently with early metric data from Haslam supporting our trust and belief -

Haslam predicts at the present time the following double digit outcomes for future Shocker opponents -

WSU beats OU 85.41 to 69.71
            WSU beats OSU 94.66 to 85.92
            WSU beats SDS 88.23 to 58.21
            WSU beats Loyola 76.96 to 59.30
            WSU beats MSU 81.31 to 62.06
            WSU beats IllSt 77.24 to 62.24
            WSU beats EU 77.88 to 55.22
            WSU beats IndSt 77.03 to 61.59
            WSU bests SIU 85.52 to 61.58
            WSU beats UNI 66.67 to 51.85
            WSU beats BU 89.47 to 55.51
            WSU beats DU 84.40 to 50.36

Comment

Yes, really. We're talking about perception, which as we all know, is reality. Whether it's real or not.
              Your perception is quite different from my perception; thus, our realities are apparently quite different.

Comment

Your perception is quite different from my perception; thus, our realities are apparently quite different.
                I didn't say it was my perception.

Comment

I didn't say it was my perception.
                  Apologies, my misread!

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                    Standard definition doesn't exist anymore... base cable is HD or close enough
                    There's still plenty of content out there that is SD with regards to resolution (not aspect ratio at this point obviously). Basically every cable package has a few channels that only come in SD.

Comment

Of course, we are not talking about the perception of any individual Shockernetter. We are talking about a generalized, more broad-based perception among the public, the media and the pundits. Which, of course, makes it specualtion as to what the perception is. However, I don't think it is unreasonable to state that there was generally a perception coming into this year that the Shockers would take a noticeable step backward with the loss of Ron and Fred (and Evan and Anton). That does not appear to have happened to the degree some thought it might although one could argue that the ultimate judgement on that is still to be determined. The next two games will go a long way towards seeing exactly where we stand in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                        There's probably an agreement based on the fact that student fees actually continue to pay for those tickets. If the athletic department messes with that arrangement, you'll have the entitled group of SGA'ers make a mountain out of a mole hill.
                        There is in fact the agreement based on student fees helping pay for renovations to Koch. And I would agree with you that there would be sizable resistance to a change. However, the point I was trying to get at is that since the "unsold" student tickets transfer to GA and are made available to the public, is it really the fault of the students that the section is not filled? Does it matter if its all students or half students half public GA? *Caveat being students actually using the tickets they pick up and not holding them w/o attending.
                        -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Welp, Marshall loves getting his players a chip on their shoulders.

Now, he no longer has to prove the opposing teams, fans, and media wrong. Now he can add his own fanbase, students, and home crowd to the list.

Yahtzee
                          Last edited by ShockerFever; December 9, 2016, 01:11 PM.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Welp, Marshall loves getting his players with a chip on their shoulders.

Now, he no longer has to prove the opposing teams, fans, and media wrong. Now he can add his own fanbase, students, and home crowd to the list.

Yahtzee
                            But the schedule, fever. I can name five teams off the top of my head that I want to see the shockers play. If it's that easy for me then why aren't we playing the game already. Surely it's as easy as *thinks for two seconds* Xavier! Call Xavier and let's play them instead of SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              But the schedule, fever. I can name five teams off the top of my head that I want to see the shockers play. If it's that easy for me then why aren't we playing the game already. Surely it's as easy as *thinks for two seconds* Xavier! Call Xavier and let's play them instead of SDSU.
                              It's not "well are you the coach, young whippersnapper?" but it's close. Thanks for delivering regardless!

Is it going to be a long ride to OKC tomorrow in the back of the retirement home's short bus with the wheelchair lift? Or are you going to watch it in the activities room with a heated blanket?

Pull out your dentures first and give them a brush, though. Your breath is terrible.

Comment

Some interesting ideas here
                                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Working...
                                X