No announcement yet.

Generation Z, Millenials, The Free Market, and Our Basketball Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longtime season ticket holder here. Have noticed the decline in student section attendance as well, although there are many students who show up to every game and are quite involved, and they should be commended. One small item I notice is that the current players rarely, if ever, acknowledge the student section or interact with them even though there is ample opportunity from early pregame shootarounds. A simple hi-5 or any kind of acknowledgement may go a long ways. Afterall, the athletes are students also, so why not act more like students and acknowledge the ones that do come to support. Even if the athletes believe they are unpaid "entertainers", they need to acknowledge and encourage the crowd. Fist pumps, exuberance, hi-5's, coach pointing and clapping at the rowdy ones all help the fans feel closer to the team. Fan inclusion may be helpful. Hard to get good teams in Koch for non-con games due to crowd reputation. Another item not related to students: as prices rise each year for season tix, many die hard, rowdy fans simply get out-priced from the arena and replaced by fans with more feelings of entitlement. Just my observations as a fan who has watched games at the arena for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
      I wonder if they should consider some sort of local Cox 22 blackout for games that don't sell out. Or maybe only broadcast in standard definition. If the game experience is now better in someone's home then there is little incentive to go out.

Just trying to think outside the box.
      If it doesn't sell out Bruce, Bob, and Savage call the game on TV. That would get people back to the arena.

Comment

Maybe we don't have an entitled fan base, but an entitled program? Fill the schedule with turds and jam the breaks with crowd killing money grabs, but castigate the fans for not lining up for it? Eff that noise. We need to go on the road two more games to get some better home games. Season ticket holders would see less games for the same price, but maybe more compelling games.

See my post in the other thread on this topic, but good businesses don't blame their customers when their sales fall.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
          I wonder if they should consider some sort of local Cox 22 blackout for games that don't sell out. Or maybe only broadcast in standard definition. If the game experience is now better in someone's home then there is little incentive to go out.

Just trying to think outside the box.
          Seems like it would have positive impact on demand for tickets, but could adversely impact revenue the program gets from the TV contract with Cox. I'm not sure how much revenue they get from Cox.

I thought @ShockdaWorld: brought up a good point is the change in demand for tickets from the GA or students? My guess is both segments, but it does seem plausible that the consumption of student tickets is reasonably constant from last year, but the decrease is in GA sales.
          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I haven't been a student for a couple of years, but I can understand the lack of interest for going to games against poor competition. If I was still a student the only home game I would have been excited about so far is the Tulsa game because there is still a bit of a rivalry there and they beat us last year. I would still have gone to the other games because I enjoy basketball but I know many of my friends from school wouldn't have.

Remember that most students don't actually live on campus at WSU and many have jobs which sometimes prevent them from attending games. Another issue is that the shocker maniacs seem poorly run and may have alienated at some students, I have heard some rumblings about this earlier in the year but have no proof as I am no longer around campus much.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

If we could get Duke to come to Koch, they'd already be on the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                I don't think anybody really expects that. All i'm asking for is a few quality opponents in the non conference each year. If that requires playing a couple more road games to get the return visits, I'm all for it.

I also would not be opposed to adding a second game at IBA each year if that's what it takes to get some teams to come here.
                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

This is a straw man. There is a lot of real estate between Duke and Maryland Eastern Shore.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    I guess I'll just stay home. A Top 40 team is coming to IBA? Forget that! I don't want to walk or I won't pay for that game. This is a real SPECIAL SPOILED bunch of fans.
                    OSU is sold out. Not sure who isn't paying and walking.... proof that if you bring a decent game people will show up.
                    -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
                      OSU is sold out. Not sure who isn't paying and walking.... proof that if you bring a decent game people will show up.
                      it's only the same thing if there are 1,000 students there

Comment

Its really quite simple. For a little over the last decade WSU has been building...aspiring to reach the top, digging out of the abyss that was the 90s. As everyone here likes to point out routinely... WSU has arrived on the national scene. Now, you have a set of students who have known nothing but Fred & Ron and 30 win seasons. They don't have a feeling of 'Us Against the World'.... they have 'We are Wichita State, we own the MVC'. WSU is still a non-traditional school, filled with commuting students who have jobs and other responsibilities. Are they basketball spoiled? Hell yes they are! ALL OF US HAVE BEEN! I do agree that getting 800-1000 out of 15000 students to the game shouldn't be an issue, but a bunch of grown ups chastising kids for enjoying their college experience in the way they chose to enjoy it, come on. Tickets are available as GA. If students are picking them up and not using them, then the athletic department needs to find a remedy. If its because the public doesn't know they are available, athletic department needs to find a remedy. But just because today's students don't chose to enjoy college the way all of us chose to.... that's no reason to indict 15,000 students. If there is a public demand for the product, the athletic department will find a way to get butts in the empty seats. (I might be asking too much there though?)
                        -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

it's only the same thing if there are 1,000 students there
                          Why does it have to be 1000 students? Why cant it be 500 students and 500 John Q Public?

Basically is it that the students wont show up or that the athletic department hasn't figured out a way to get around the unused student tickets to get public butts in those seats?

GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
                            Why does it have to be 1000 students? Why cant it be 500 students and 500 John Q Public?

Basically is it that the students wont show up or that the athletic department hasn't figured out a way to get around the unused student tickets to get public butts in those seats?
                            There's probably an agreement based on the fact that student fees actually continue to pay for those tickets. If the athletic department messes with that arrangement, you'll have the entitled group of SGA'ers make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Comment

One aspect of cultural change I haven't seen mentioned is the effect of entertainment overload. I look at just the difference within my own family from when I grew up (80s) and now. There are so many more entertainment options and indulging in those options. Concerts, sporting events, video games, etc. Going to a basketball game - when you've been to so many, seen so many on TV and "played" so many while sitting on the sofa - just isn't an event at the same level as it once was. I don't think kids and young adults get as excited about these things anymore. Less excitement means less motivation to go consistently, or at all.

I also think the recent success is partly to blame. This was seen as a down/rebuilding year, so there was less hype and anticipation, resulting in some jumping off the bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                This was seen as a down/rebuilding year, so there was less hype and anticipation, resulting in some jumping off the bandwagon.
                                Really, down/rebuilding year and the Shockers with an 8-2 record versus last seasons record at this point in the season?

Comment

Working...
                                X