No announcement yet.

At Large Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the correction, Jamar -- the 2011-12 team was indeed 27-5 on Selection Sunday. This team will have played 33 games (unless they go out on Friday in St. Louis, which would be one of the upsets of the year), not 32, after the MVC semifinals.

And, as I said before, I agree: not all seasons are created equal. Nevertheless, exactly seven losses this season (depending, obviously, on which seven they are) doesn't strike me as automatically NIT-level catastrophic. We've seen eight have that effect (2010-11), but those eight also included some definite gaffes. This team isn't showing a tendency to commit such gaffes against lesser foes, at least not so far; and they'll probably get better as the season progresses, not shakier.

Comment

I wonder if UCLA fans had this issue when they were destroying teams during all those national title seasons.
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

This.

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        I don't think too many people are blaming the schedule-makers for this year's schedule. As Fever mentions, a lot of these teams are traditionally solid games. I was very excited about this schedule when it was put together.

But you also can't deny that it's turned out to be a steady diet of sh!t sandwiches and we're paying steakhouse prices. Now, I freaking love every minute of it. And I don't understand the low attendance. But I do understand the low energy levels.
        It need not be either/or. It isn't Marshall's fault, but it also isn't a good schedule. It is also completely fair to say that destroying inferior competition is less exciting than competing against worthy opponents. If you want to blame someone, blame the NCAA for allowing a system where WSU get's stuck playing crappy teams and seemingly has no way out of this endless loop year after year. Don't blame Marshall, and don't blame fans who attend the games, but bring a little less energy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
          I wonder if UCLA fans had this issue when they were destroying teams during all those national title seasons.

no...........I'll bet they have it today, tho

Comment

No sweat. No more than four losses including MVC tournament.
            5-6 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
              Thanks for the correction, Jamar -- the 2011-12 team was indeed 27-5 on Selection Sunday. This team will have played 33 games (unless they go out on Friday in St. Louis, which would be one of the upsets of the year), not 32, after the MVC semifinals.

And, as I said before, I agree: not all seasons are created equal. Nevertheless, exactly seven losses this season (depending, obviously, on which seven they are) doesn't strike me as automatically NIT-level catastrophic. We've seen eight have that effect (2010-11), but those eight also included some definite gaffes. This team isn't showing a tendency to commit such gaffes against lesser foes, at least not so far; and they'll probably get better as the season progresses, not shakier.
              Although I appreciate this post to an extent, it does seem like you are still returning to the fallacy of "well, we have seen what x losses looks like". No, we've seen x losses given a specific SOS, amongst many other variables. Comparing x losses from one season to another, in a vacuum without the other context, is just asking for poor conclusions to be drawn.

Just one more example as evidence... this year's SOS appears to be substantially worse than that of 2010-2011. 8 losses in 2011 sent WSU to the NIT, and few of us were even holding our breath during the Selection Show that year. 7 losses this year, with a worse SOS, is almost assuredly a repeat path to the NIT.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                no...........I'll bet they have it today, tho
                They're probably nervous because the chickens are gainin' on 'em.
                Last edited by ShockingButTrue; December 7, 2016, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                  The fallacy of "well, we have seen what x losses looks like". No, we've seen x losses given a specific SOS, amongst many other variables, is just asking for poor conclusions to be drawn.
                  For once me and you agree. It's comparable to a b12/chicken fan saying a Valley/Shocker team could never beat 'em on the hardwood because "They aint played nobody!"

Yep, we've heard, or seen, that. That's the logic chicken fans use when they have the audacity to tell anyone who isn't listening that they're gaining on the Bruins. Un huh.

Comment

You owe me one, Jamar -- I got someone to say something nice about you.

Comment

..... it is the Holiday Season!!!

Comment

RPI now in the 60s with SOS jumping to 133ish. Much better!
                        78-65

Comment

On the pre-game show today they shared that the NCAA committee didn't want to put WSU in the tournament last year except for Schaust. He successfully argued to get WSU in. WSU better win STL.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            On the pre-game show today they shared that the NCAA committee didn't want to put WSU in the tournament last year except for Schaust. He successfully argued to get WSU in. WSU better win STL.
                            Jim Schaus. Still doing more for WSU than the previous administration had done from 800 miles away.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              Sean Miller's shirt is steaming mad about this.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Just keep winning

Comment

Working...
                                X