No announcement yet.

Sports Sunday (KWCH) Shocker report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any problem with them discussing Shaq.

I do have a problem with
    -making light of a players injury/health situation
    -does he have the talent? "Yeah, kinda." It's one thing to question his focus, maturity, etc but to question his talent shows you're an idiot, which obviously these two are.
    -Enough with the Valley trash talk. They think they're so funny. They're not. It's not original, not insightful, not funny. Shaq is a potential problem for every team we'll face this year. Humans that large aren't typically as light on their feet and skilled as Shaq. When locked in he's so much better than any big man their beloved Jayhacks have its not even funny.

Comment

Ironic the likenesses.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
        Kunkle is a beaker. It's sad.
        He gave us a courtesy comment by starting out the show saying "now we start with the hottest ticket in town The Shockers" then followed up like they know the Shockers so well which they don't. They both cherry pick some comments from Coach and acted like they know for certain about this team when they don't know anymore than us. This team has talent but will grow. We will know more by Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Ironic the likenesses.

Beavis and Kunkle; remarkable similarities.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Interesting tactic on picking out a guy who scored 24 on 9-11 from the floor as being a problem.

And here is my question about their claims of Shaq not being an every game kind of player.... When has he not been an every game player due to effort or attitude? The only issue I see with Shaq is his ability to stay on the court due to foul trouble, not a mental issue on effort or attitude. Since HCGM told Shaq to just stay home for the Drake road game, I can't remember any other time since then that he's been ridiculed or benched due to effort.

While they're at it, why not bring up Fred's hamstring as an issue for this year's team.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

All I've heard was that Coach decided the Starting 5 on who gave the biggest effort in practice which says something about other players too.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                Has Shaq ever demonstrated he is an "everyday" player?

If Shaq is our guy we have reasons to be worried. He has had the physical tools since he arrived but has never played more than 21 minutes a game, he has had multiple run-ins with HCGM, and is the first player I can recall being left home for a major game. Hell, Fred called him out on public forums a number of times.

I still hold out hope that the maturity will occur, but on Saturday he had a great game that included two critical turnovers on plays that should have been lay-ups which were a big part of the Augusta run.

Bottom line - these guys were talking about something as honestly as HCGM does and it would be something I would bring up after Saturday's game / post game comments by HCGM. If HCGM doesn't want that to be the talk after a game he should not go on the rif.....
                This. I am trying hard to understand how anything in the quotes above can be even a little bit controversial. The empirical evidence to date fully supports it. It's not the media's job to be cheerleaders. it is Shaq's job to prove all observed behavior to this point is something he can overcome. Objective people aren't going to assume otherwise until he does so.

Comment

Calling the KWCH sports dingleberry's objective is not credible.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                    When I was flipping past their show, Kunkel said that MM was not a great shooter.

Parsons tried to correct him, but Kunkel seems to have a shtick.

I don't know what I ended up watching, but it's pretty bad that a KWCH broadcast about the Shocks can't hold my attention.
                    Again where is the evidence that MM is a great shooter? We all hope he can be one, but 31.5% from three doesn't establish that. I see a good basketball player who will likely be a streaky shooter for the time being. His consistency of form and variance on misses haven't looked like a guy who is going to shoot 40% to me. I'd take 35% with length and athleticism for this season today if offered.

Furthermore, I am very concerned that MM will have a challenging soph season if he's playing the 3. I haven't seen enough diverse offensive playmaking ability to think he can do it on a regular basis playing against wings without FVV & RB taking a good amount of the focus away. That said, I think he could be very dynamic this year if we can get him matched up with 4s.

Comment

They don't know anything about WSU and merely pretend to.. To give you an idea of Kunkle's attitude towards wsu, a few months ago I was in Oldtown with some friends. 3 of us were wearing shocker gear. We were sitting in front of the entrance when suddenly Kunkel and a couple other KWCH people stumbled in. Kunkel looked right at the 3 of us wearing wsu gear and made a bee line for the opposite side of the bar. It was very obvious he didn't want to catch any flack from us. We got a laugh out of it.

Comment

*Moves Kunkel up two spots to the No. 1 person I'd love to slap the **** out of in real life rankings. That guy is such a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                          *Moves Kunkel up two spots to the No. 1 person I'd love to slap the **** out of in real life rankings. That guy is such a clown.
                          Who else is on said list?
                          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                            This. I am trying hard to understand how anything in the quotes above can be even a little bit controversial. The empirical evidence to date fully supports it. It's not the media's job to be cheerleaders. it is Shaq's job to prove all observed behavior to this point is something he can overcome. Objective people aren't going to assume otherwise until he does so.
                            I disagree. Shaq's a junior now, it looks like he's grown a little (and probably lifted a few weights over the summer) and that is a sign to me at least that he is taking things more seriously (and maybe maturing). Is he a leader? Probably not. Do I fully believe that he had some issues and is maturing in front of us? I do. People mature at different rates. Maybe it took until his Junior season to get the kid out of him. I seriously doubt many on this board can brag about their exemplary behavior they exhibited when they were between 18 and 20.

If he filled out a little (IIRC he has went from 260 to 285), that means he was dedicated over the summer, trying to work in the weight room and improve, not munching on cheeseburgers and fries and sitting on his backside. Just my opinion, but I think his dedication and work over the summer should allow people to cut him some slack.

His family is supportive. They have gotten on his case a couple of times when he was almost ready to get kicked off the team. I'm sure they have been encouraging him.

In my opinion, Shaq was the best player out there on Saturday. If the rest of the team had played as well as he did, I wouldn't be sitting here wondering if they're going to lay an egg at Atlantis.

Either way, we did not look like a defending Valley champion on Saturday. I hope both coach and the team get it figured out before conference play begins. No way you let a school like that get within 2 points at the end of the game on your home court. I don't care how good that guard was that was lighting us up. I don't think there's any way the team we had the last few years would have played like what I heard on Saturday.

By the way, and to reinforce my last point, what happened to our vaunted defense? We graduate a few great defensive guards (Cotton, Ron and Fred) and suddenly it looks like we can't stop the other team's guards. Looks to me like we are going to need some of our guards to grow up fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                              The timing is ridiculously off to be calling out Shaq. He played a lot, he scored a lot, he had a couple highlight reel dunks, and showed heart and emotion out there. And that is the time to start picking him apart? lol, what a bunch of amateur tools.

Stop watching that garbage and maybe someday soon the trash truck will be by to haul it off.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It's been mentioned often, but it really sucks that we have to tolerate sportsanchorsin town that have NO INTEREST in WSU... really don't even care much about the Chiefs, Royals, etc. Northwestern Grad, Syracuse Grad, Florida Grad, Texas guy, etc, etc... none of them has a clue about the history of hoops in Wichita and they really don't care to know... just waiting to move on to KC or whereever.

Comment

Working...
                                X