Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Baker was a Knick, and now is a Wizard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never been to New York, but my stereotype is trashy, dirt alleys and congestion. And panhandlers. I giggle when they make fun of all places not New York. Enjoy your view of your neighbors brick wall and the litter in the streets and the constant refrain of car horns, assholes yelling and noise. I guess if you grew up in it, then there may be a certain nostalgia to it, and I'm sure my stereotype is not completely accurate and there are things to love about NY. But for me, I can't handle that much humanity in so little space.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• A friend of mine grew up in and around NYC. Played football at Lindsborg. His first week in Kansas he gets homesick and calls home and tells his dad that things are all right but everyone here smiles and says "Hi" to him, his dad pauses and then offers this advice "Be careful they want something if they are that friendly."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
        I've never been to New York, but my stereotype is trashy, dirt alleys and congestion. And panhandlers. I giggle when they make fun of all places not New York. Enjoy your view of your neighbors brick wall and the litter in the streets and the constant refrain of car horns, assholes yelling and noise. I guess if you grew up in it, then there may be a certain nostalgia to it, and I'm sure my stereotype is not completely accurate and there are things to love about NY. But for me, I can't handle that much humanity in so little space.
        My stereotype is similar. I'm sure all the tourist areas would be neat to see and I hope to go someday. I wouldn't want to live there.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

I've never been to New York, but my stereotype is trashy, dirt alleys and congestion. And panhandlers. I giggle when they make fun of all places not New York. Enjoy your view of your neighbors brick wall and the litter in the streets and the constant refrain of car horns, assholes yelling and noise. I guess if you grew up in it, then there may be a certain nostalgia to it, and I'm sure my stereotype is not completely accurate and there are things to love about NY. But for me, I can't handle that much humanity in so little space.
          Your stereotype is not completely accurate. You left out the ever-present unpleasant odors and the general tendency to rudeness. I have also been to Scott City, and while you may occasionally get a whiff of livestock there, virtually everyone there is very friendly.

Comment

• Don't knock it unless you've tried it. You should probably take a visit once in your lifetime.

With that said, it's a great visit, not a great home.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
              My stereotype is similar. I'm sure all the tourist areas would be neat to see and I hope to go someday. I wouldn't want to live there.
              Some of the tourist areas you should never go to. Like Times Square.

NYC is a mass of humanity. And every few blocks it is different. Just walk like you belong, keep your head out of papers or maps, don't make eye contact (or smile and nod like you are in Kansas) because you will freak people out, be comfortable being way to packed into railroad cars like cattle (during the bad times on the subway).

If the subway car is empty during busy times, there is probably a damn good reason so don't get on it. At night stick with the crowd. Being being alone or in small groups isn't safe then.

It is always dripping something from above, so avoid those. The puddles on a sunny day are probably from someone's pet, so avoid those. And the poop. NYC has lots of pets and not a lot of places for the pets to follow nature's call. So it can smell like pee and poop on hot days.

If you need to get somewhere make sure to bring anything you may possibly need with you (get a man satchel). Because you are walking and taking public transit usually, so you can't "go back and get it" if you forget it. Best ways to get around: walk, rail, and Uber. Get a week's pass for the Metro.

Your smartphone is an absolute necessity. So bring an extra battery.

Comment

You should go. I think your ideas of NYC would change. One of the great cities of the world.
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• I haven't been to NYC, but I have been to other large cities like Chicago, LA, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and others. I can say for sure that I wouldn't want to live in any of them, just too many people crammed into a small area for me. My closest neighbor growing up was a quarter mile down the road so north Wichita is plenty crowded enough for me.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                    You should go. I think your ideas of NYC would change. One of the great cities of the world.
                    I would like to visit. 10 million people live there for a reason, i guess. I would just like to go to the non touristy places like the pizza joints.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Don't knock it unless you've tried it. You should probably take a visit once in your lifetime.

With that said, it's a great visit, not a great home.
                      I would have loved to live there in my early 20s for a couple of years. It truly is a different way of life. I don't think I'd want to live it more than a few years though. With that said, I've been twice for a week at a time and have barely scratched the surface of things to do even just in Manhattan. I barely made it out into the other Boroughs

Comment

10 million people live there for a reason...
                        Because the great majority of them don't know any better? I've been to NYC a number of times, and there's lots to see and do. But I wouldn't want to live there, and I'm always glad to get away. Of course, I've had that same thought about the time I've spent in Dallas and Houston, too, which are less populous but also too crowded and don't have extortionate bridge tolls -- one of my favorite parts is always escaping intact.

Still, if the fans love Baker, kudos to them. Give credit where it's due.

Comment

10 million people live there for a reason, i guess.
                          Its one of the worlds great natural harbors. Large cities tend to spring up in places like that.

Comment

• Sports Daily had a great interview with native and current Kansas Adam LaRoche yesterday. Well worth a listen if you have time. Adam basically walked away from at least one more years of MLB big money so that he could send more time with his family. I think he is from Ft. Scott. His dad, Dave and brother Andy were also major league ballers.

Couldn't wait to get out of small town Kansas as a kid. Couldn't wait to get back to it after experiencing the big league world of big city living.

Here is a very long, but interesting article on Adam and his unusual retirement decision.

Missions in Southeast Asia, 'Duck Dynasty' connections, a meat business -- the first baseman didn't retire just because of a kid in a clubhouse. For the first time, he tells his story.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                              Jeff Hornacek shakes up Knicks lineup, benches*Courtney Lee for Ron Baker*

"And then Ron just competes. He's in the right spot almost all the time. He's a very solid player."
                              From yesterday's highlights here is nice example ...

... Ron is in position to grab the loose ball and instead of just going down the court he targets Melo's defender. You can see Ron motion to Rose to pass to Melo as he sets a screen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                                Your stereotype is not completely accurate. You left out the ever-present unpleasant odors and the general tendency to rudeness. I have also been to Scott City, and while you may occasionally get a whiff of livestock there, virtually everyone there is very friendly.
                                I grew up in Kansas then moved to Chicago for school and work. Anyway, one of the 1st things that bothered me when I would go back and visit Kansas was people looking at me in my eyes. I know it sounds weird but in the city everyone has their head down, headphones in and in their own world. I remember how uncomfortable it was that Kansas was so friendly just after a few years in the big city.
                                I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                                If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X