No announcement yet.

2016-17 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little love for Austin from his home state.

Wichita State
    Nothing screams Hoosiers and Jimmy Chitwood more than an appearance in the tournament by Austin Reaves, a freshman guard from Newark (pop. 1,176), which is located near Possum Grape and Oil Trough in northeast Arkansas.
    Reaves signed with Wichita State after he averaged 32.5 points per game, with a high of 73 against Forrest City, while leading Cedar Ridge to the Class 3A state championship last spring. Reaves' minutes are limited with a deep Wichita State team, but he would lead the Missouri Valley Conference in 3-point accuracy (27 of 53, .509 percent) with a few more made attempts.

Comment

• 5 Toughest decisions facing NCAA

Sometime before 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, the NCAA tournament selection committee will email a completed bracket to CBS to unveil on the selection show. In an interview on CBS on Saturday afternoon, NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt hinted at which teams were still under consideration to become No. 1 seeds. What that suggests is that Duke’s ACC title game victory against Notre Dame a few hours later clinched no worse than a No. 2 seed for the Blue Devils and could even vault them to a No. 1.
      Kick 'em square in the grapes! (that can be very painful)

Comment

• Originally posted by double dribble View Post
        Possible 6 seed?
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Possible 6 seed?
          That would be sweet.

Comment

• Who is the first team that the panel on SportsCenter talked about just now? Yes, the Shockers. Team that could cause the most havoc in the tournament this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by double dribble View Post
              One of the better discussions of our team I have seen. Nothing new or in depth, but a fair and well thought out piece. I would love a 6 or 7. I think we are a 7.
              Go Shocks!

Comment

• I guess everyone has pressing questions.

Seven pressing questions for the Selection*Committee

5. Where does Wichita State get seeded?: The Shockers are currently, as of this exact moment, ranked eighth on KenPom. Eighth. As in No. 8. In the country. KenPom is widely considered the most accurate metric for ranking teams in college hoops circles, which should tell you just how good this team is. But they haven’t actually done anything during the season to back those numbers up. They only have two top 65 wins on the season, and both of those came against Illinois State, who may not get to the NCAA tournament. How about this for a thought: If Wichita State ends up as a No. 10 seed, they could end up being favored in both the first round and second round game against the No. 2 seed. The current No. 2 seeds in our latest bracket are Kentucky, Arizona, Duke and Oregon. Kentucky is the only one rated above Wichita State on KenPom.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                  I guess everyone has pressing questions.

5. Where does Wichita State get seeded?: The Shockers are currently, as of this exact moment, ranked eighth on KenPom. Eighth. As in No. 8. In the country. KenPom is widely considered the most accurate metric for ranking teams in college hoops circles, which should tell you just how good this team is. But they haven’t actually done anything during the season to back those numbers up. They only have two top 65 wins on the season, and both of those came against Illinois State, who may not get to the NCAA tournament. How about this for a thought: If Wichita State ends up as a No. 10 seed, they could end up being favored in both the first round and second round game against the No. 2 seed. The current No. 2 seeds in our latest bracket are Kentucky, Arizona, Duke and Oregon. Kentucky is the only one rated above Wichita State on KenPom.
                  Ah, that top 65 metric the committee uses all the time...

Oh the intellectual dishonesty.
                  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                    I guess everyone has pressing questions.

I like the article but man NBC Sports seems to have a knack with drawing arbitrary lines when breaking down wins. Two Top 65 wins? Nice spin. You could also say WSU has two Top 35 wins, but the 65 sounds less attractive. Or you could say WSU has 3 Top 70 wins, but again that beefs WSU up too much.

I'm really starting to swing to the camp where breaking down these wins from 1-50 and 1-100 is dumb. They can be manipulated and twisted to beef teams up or knock teams down. Just look at everything as a whole. No breakdowns. I hope the committee peels back the layers better than these wanna be internet bracketologists do on a daily basis.

EDIT: Looks like Steele beat me to it.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                      Ah, that top 65 metric the committee uses all the time...

Oh the intellectual dishonesty.
                      Never. And not next year either.

Comment

• Syracuse is 0-3 vs. RPI Top 106-141.

#seehowstupidyousound

#actuallythatsprettytelling

#sidenotetheywereallhomegames
                        Last edited by Cdizzle; March 12, 2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          Syracuse is 0-3 vs. RPI Top 106-141.

#seehowstupidyousound

#actuallythatsprettytelling
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            I like the article but man NBC Sports seems to have a knack with drawing arbitrary lines when breaking down wins. Two Top 65 wins? Nice spin. You could also say WSU has two Top 35 wins, but the 65 sounds less attractive. Or you could say WSU has 3 Top 70 wins, but again that beefs WSU up too much.

I'm really starting to swing to the camp where breaking down these wins from 1-50 and 1-100 is dumb. They can be manipulated and twisted to beef teams up or knock teams down. Just look at everything as a whole. No breakdowns. I hope the committee peels back the layers better than these wanna be internet bracketologists do on a daily basis.

EDIT: Looks like Steele beat me to it.
                            It is so arbitrary when a team like Syracuse gets a ton of credit for its good wins when they wouldn't even count as a good win on a neutral court. They love to mention that we have just X wins against the TopArbitrary, but they'll never mention that beating a team like Syracuse wouldn't even raise that number.

Comment

• True dat.

Comment

• Not sure if this has been posted...

Comment

Working...
                                X