Favorite Play of the Marshall Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    So you're saying we missed one of the 30 best players in the history of the program this year.......hmmm.........

I have a feeling we'll be revisiting this topic about 12 months from today.

Let me start....we really missed Fred's leadership and intangibles this year, and Ron's toughness and defense.
    You mean to tell me we're going to miss Fred and Ron? Wow, I never thought of that.

Comment

So you're saying we missed one of the 30 best players in the history of the program this year.......hmmm.........

I have a feeling we'll be revisiting this topic about 12 months from today.

Let me start....we really missed Fred's leadership and intangibles this year, and Ron's toughness and defense.

I'm going to go off the board just a bit for a play. Not saying it's my favorite, but it's so emblematic of the way his teams play.

End of the first half against Arizona. York tries to take Fred to cup. Fred strips him, steals the ball and in one motion zings a pinpoint pass to Ron near half court (Ron, who has busted tail to get to an outlet area, oh yeah, with only about 2 seconds on the clock). Baker catches it, but instead of shooting himself, finds a streaking RKelly and zips a pass and hits Rashard in full stride. Rashard takes one stride and actually gets up a decent shot that doesn't miss by much. I think McDuffie was also streaking down the sideline in case something happened or there was more time.

Great defense, sharing the ball, helping teammates, never giving up on the play and playing full out until the whistle. Maximum effort.

If that's not a Gregg Marshall program in a 5 second play, I don't know what is.

I know I've watched that play 100 times at least. Can't get enough of it.
      The passing was amazing on that play. From Baseline to a clean midcourt shot in just a couple of seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
        You mean to tell me we're going to miss Fred and Ron? Wow, I never thought of that.

My meter may be off, but it was tongue in cheek towards the crowd that thinks we'll be better next year with Reaves, Smith, Shamet and PA leading the charge. 4 guys that combined for about 40 minutes of experience at WSU.

Comment

My meter may be off, but it was tongue in cheek towards the crowd that thinks we'll be better next year with Reaves, Smith, Shamet and PA leading the charge. 4 guys that combined for about 40 minutes of experience at WSU.
          You are giving in to the fear of the unknown. Our last two major changes at the position came when Armstead took over for a single year, then Fred had a great three year run. I had friends that were concerned about Fred being up to the task as a sophomore. The difference is both the previous players had a year to learn the system before being the new starter. There are not as many pure point guard play that Fred provided. He was truly a wiser don the pick and roll offense attacking the helper. Here are some reasons I feel helpful.
          1. The staff has done an excellent job of recruiting good guards. (Took a risk on some 2's converting into 1's on occasion).
          2. We can get more athletic at the position.
          3. The people around the one can be much better this year. Experience and new blood.
          4. We have more than a few players that have tried to gain experience handling the ball in high school and prep.
          Last edited by homegrownshocker; April 19, 2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I don't think we will be better next year. If we are better then we will have a good shot at a national championship. I am hopeful and I believe that we will be better on offense even after losing the best PG in college basketball.

Comment

I don't think we will be better, but I don't think we will fall too far at all. I still think we will compete to win the MVC as usual. I think we will have a good shot at making the NCAA tournament. There will come a day when the rest of the MVC finally develops and puts together a solid year, and if that coincidentally happens next year, we may struggle some, but not because our team is going to be bad. We have the pieces in place to expect another good year. But yeah, there are more unknowns than usual this time around.

Comment

If you want to think optimistically, think about how good we may be in March and expect for some disappointments early. Growing pains will probably be a part of the season and we need to think with the end in mind. When we lose, I will most likely turn off Shockernet for a couple of days because I expect problems to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  I don't think we will be better next year. If we are better then we will have a good shot at a national championship. I am hopeful and I believe that we will be better on offense even after losing the best PG in college basketball.
                  One thing I keep reminding myself is that this core team should be together for 2 years straight. So if we are at all decent to good this year ... watch out in 2017-18.

Comment

I'm not concerned about if we are better or not. This team will be different. This team will be incredibly talented. This team will be fun to watch. This team will be good. This team will STILL be the Shockers, and I will cheer just as loudly for them as I ever have. I'm excited. Can we skip to the summer trip already?
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Better or not depends on how we are measuring it.

Better than 15-16 at its best (or at its best minus Landry): not very likely. This year's team could have made a serious run at Houston.
                      Better in terms of the resume over the course of the season and rpi in the 30s: maybe maybe not.

With the lack of back court experience I don't have super high expectations and I'll be quite happy with any season-long resume that qualifies for an at-large bid, hopefully not one of the last-four-in! Then again that is kind of how I felt going into the 12-13 season.
                      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Back to the thread topic.

I knew we had a special group Cle's junior year when on the road late in the season at Bradley. The Gargoyles were making a run late and TC, I believe, ripped down a board then hit Armstud at half court who quickly passed to Cle streaking opposite side who took one step and through it down. That sucked the air out of them and we cruised. That whole sequence happened without a dribble. It also happened with studs Baker and Hall on the sidelines injured.

Also. Same game TC had a dunk off an alley oop pass where he was literally behind the backboard when he jammed it. What a stud. What a team. What a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                          One that will be mildly forgotten by now is that play where Malcolm Armstead went coast to coast and put on a circus act with the ball getting there. I think he missed the shot, but it was the kind of play you watch and re-watch because of the ball skill display he put on. I'm pretty sure it was towards the end of the Final Four run...probably against Louisville.
                          I know exactly what play you're talking about! He crossed Peyton Siva, then span off another Cardinal, finally going behind some other players back then dribbled into the paint and passed it to Jake White of all players.

Comment

The one play that unfortunately didn't happen was at the end of the beat down of bubble u where Cotton was taking off (about to thrown down)...and "asleep at the wheel" decided to flagrant him. Sure would've liked to seen that finish. I feel that one would've been talked about even in heaven amongst the angels and saints.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Hey Guys,Ive been gone for almost 4 years and have watched my beloved shocks in a double
                              I like basketball,cuz if i wasnt for Basketball,i wouldnt be playin Basketball today

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                                The one play that unfortunately didn't happen was at the end of the beat down of bubble u where Cotton was taking off (about to thrown down)...and "asleep at the wheel" decided to flagrant him. Sure would've liked to seen that finish. I feel that one would've been talked about even in heaven amongst the angels and saints.
                                Yeah, Tekele was going for a DUNK ANGRY moment on that play. I too wish he would have thrown down the hammer on it.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X