No announcement yet.

Favorite Play of the Marshall Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having experienced the Tekele dunk against ISU in person, or Zach's steal and dunk first hand, or watching Cle's dunk live against in ATL....

All of Ron's 3s against Gonzaga were probably part of the best game I ever saw in person ....

Crap I cannot narrow it down to one.

It has been a great time to a Shocker fan!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
      Having experienced the Tekele dunk against ISU in person, or Zach's steal and dunk first hand, or watching Cle's dunk live against in ATL....

All of Ron's 3s against Gonzaga were probably part of the best game I ever saw in person ....

Crap I cannot narrow it down to one.

It has been a great time to a Shocker fan!!!
      oh yeah, Cle's dunk on Willie Cauley-Stein

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
        I remember loving those inbound plays, where Ron or Fred would heave it up, and Cotton would come flying in and slam it down. I will search for video, but I am seeing it in my mind's eye right now.
        Here's one!
        http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12120526[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^THIS x10^^^^^^

Comment

I am on board with all of the above plays, but I must mention Ev Wessel's entire game against KU. Everything was working for him that day. What an amazing effort.

Comment

Imagine if Evan was playing during the Final Four ....

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              ^^^Speaking of that game...

Here was another non-play that was one of my favorite moments from the 3G era...

http://deadspin.com/5884395/creightons-doug-mcdermott-learned-being-the-coachs-son-sometimes-means-being-humiliated-on-tv

I seem to remember a quote from Gregg...maybe his radio show...

"Not only did our guys have a dominating win, but they caused internal strife in the McDermott household."
              LOL. I forgot about that blowup. That was absolutely classic!

Daddy didn't like that little sonny boy was getting their asses handed to them. Ah, that was an epic pasting.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

man Tekele and carl hall I appreciate even more now watching back when they played!

Comment

The final four was the perfect blend of talent at every class... Stars like that are hard to align

Comment

Cotton...Cotton and Cotton! Tons of great plays that have been perfectly cited here in this thread...but damn that Cotton dude brought it with AUTHORITY!!!!!!
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                      Cotton...Cotton and Cotton! Tons of great plays that have been perfectly cited here in this thread...but damn that Cotton dude brought it with AUTHORITY!!!!!!
                      I have to agree totally. How many games did he single handily change the momentum on to win? Like against Tennessee, he went on like a 9 point run to change the game. Just little stuff like that.

Expert recap and game analysis of the Wichita State Shockers vs. Tennessee Volunteers NCAAM game from December 14, 2013 on ESPN.

" Midway through the second half Saturday, Tennessee was following dunks with dunks and holding No. 12 Wichita State without a field goal for nearly 6 minutes.
                      "I thought we were in good shape," Volunteers coach Cuonzo Martin said. Then Wichita State's Tekele Cotton took over. Cotton scored all 19 of his points in the second half, pushing Wichita State to a 70-61 victory."

Comment

A Cotton like player was the missing key to this years team, my opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                          A Cotton like player was the missing key to this years team, my opinion of course.
                          You share that opinion with alot of people. I feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                            I actually think we missed his offense more than we missed his defense. Gave us another guy who could hit 35% from 3 and a guy who could create shots for himself. Cotton wasn't our best offensive player, but no team's 3rd best perimeter defender could hold him regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                              I actually think we missed his offense more than we missed his defense. Gave us another guy who could hit 35% from 3 and a guy who could create shots for himself. Cotton wasn't our best offensive player, but no team's 3rd best perimeter defender could hold him regularly.
                              Yes, Cotton in the NCAA Tourney and during his Senior year, was not the same Cotton as earlier in his career when they could leave him open and know that he'd miss open shots. He became a nice 3 point scorer and a shot creator for himself and others. I doubt that a Frosh will be Cotton ready right away but his future is bright.

Comment

So you're saying we missed one of the 30 best players in the history of the program this year.......hmmm.........

I have a feeling we'll be revisiting this topic about 12 months from today.

Let me start....we really missed Fred's leadership and intangibles this year, and Ron's toughness and defense.

I'm going to go off the board just a bit for a play. Not saying it's my favorite, but it's so emblematic of the way his teams play.

End of the first half against Arizona. York tries to take Fred to cup. Fred strips him, steals the ball and in one motion zings a pinpoint pass to Ron near half court (Ron, who has busted tail to get to an outlet area, oh yeah, with only about 2 seconds on the clock). Baker catches it, but instead of shooting himself, finds a streaking RKelly and zips a pass and hits Rashard in full stride. Rashard takes one stride and actually gets up a decent shot that doesn't miss by much. I think McDuffie was also streaking down the sideline in case something happened or there was more time.

Great defense, sharing the ball, helping teammates, never giving up on the play and playing full out until the whistle. Maximum effort.

If that's not a Gregg Marshall program in a 5 second play, I don't know what is.

I know I've watched that play 100 times at least. Can't get enough of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X