WSU Versus Vanderbilt Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
    Practice, school, weight room, getting shots up, studies, watch basketball outside the film room, might be a little busy, even for 19 year old kids.
    A certain ku player could tell you not to sleep on teams...

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
      A certain ku player could tell you not to sleep on teams...
      Ha. So true.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• According to ESPN bpi Shockers have a 60.5% chance of beating Vandy

Comment

• @EnthusiAdams: To all Dayton based followers, I encourage you to adopt @ValleyHoops reg season Champions Wichita State Shockers. http://twitter.com/EnthusiAdams/stat...007425/photo/1
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• A lot of discussion and concern about our 3pt shooting and their bigs. Rightfully so I suppose, but here is the real key to this team: Forcing Turnovers.

On the year the Shockers are 1-3 when forcing less than 10 TOs and 23-5 when forcing 10 or more (3 losses in Orlando, and no losses since Seton Hall). In conference (including the tournament) the difference is even more clear, 1-3 for less than 10, 17-0 when forcing 10 or more. If we can get to 10 TOs we win, 15 it's comfortable, any more and we run them out of Dayton on a rail.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
              A lot of discussion and concern about our 3pt shooting and their bigs. Rightfully so I suppose, but here is the real key to this team: Forcing Turnovers.

On the year the Shockers are 1-3 when forcing less than 10 TOs and 23-5 when forcing 10 or more (3 losses in Orlando, and no losses since Seton Hall). In conference (including the tournament) the difference is even more clear, 1-3 for less than 10, 17-0 when forcing 10 or more. If we can get to 10 TOs we win, 15 it's comfortable, any more and we run them out of Dayton on a rail.
              ..as long as we don't go 2 for 24 from the arc. 3 for 10 or 8 for 24 is ok. 2 for 24 is not ok.

Comment

• For those curious, yes Vandy has 3 seven footers, and yes, they often play 2 of them at the same time. It appears they combine for about 60 minutes a game, so there will be one of them playing at all times, two of them on the court about 50% of the time. We've seen WSU shut down quality bigs in Utah and New Mexico St. It will be interesting to see how WSU defends when there isn't one, but two 7 footers at the same time.

This game screams for Ron, Fred, Zach, and Markis to pressure Vandy's guards and make them absolutely miserable the way WSU did to Utah's guards. Vandy's guards seem to protect the ball a little better than Utah's on the season, so I don't expect WSU to dominate the way they did vs Utah, but I think a 5-10 point win is still very possible.

Tennessee is a really small team and they just beat Vandy 5 days ago on a neutral site despite Vandy hitting a respectable 9/25 from 3. I think the Shox win this one as long as they can hit 30%+ on their 3's and keep Vandy playing an honest defense. If the Shox are cold outside, it is going to be awfully hard to score vs multiple 7 footers packing it in on defense.

Edit: Interesting. 2 other posters discussing the exact same thing and beat me to it by 2 minutes. I guess we are in agreement about the keys to the game.

Comment

• I had an amped up, "we can't lose and we're going to kick ass" mental state heading into the MVC tourney weekend. I left St. Louis a broken, dejected and depressed man.

So I'm hopeful the trepidation and worry I'm experiencing right now is a good sign. Hope Ron and Fred can "play loose" as exhorted by 3G. That would bode well for the good guys.

Comment

• If vandy plays two seven footers, then we better speed the game up and run and gun

Comment

• Gregg says he wants Fred and Ron to just go out and ball just like they did when they were precocious freshmen. I agree. The slow start this year put pressure on them to lead the team to victory every single game to build our resume. Don't have to worry about that any longer.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• If I understand right, their second 7 footer is the 4 man, but spends a lot of his offensive time out around the 3 point line. If that's the case, I think it plays into our favor. We should be able to defend him better out there, and offensively we should be able to pull him out of the paint.

Comment

• Paging Conner Frankamp. Conner Frankamp, please pick up the courtesy yellow phone labeled "more". Conner Frankamp, the yellow MORE phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                            If I understand right, their second 7 footer is the 4 man, but spends a lot of his offensive time out around the 3 point line. If that's the case, I think it plays into our favor. We should be able to defend him better out there, and offensively we should be able to pull him out of the paint.
                            I agree, if Grady can get his mid-range mojo going, it'll lead to good things. If we let them camp under the rim, not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                              Gregg says he wants Fred and Ron to just go out and ball just like they did when they were precocious freshmen. I agree. The slow start this year put pressure on them to lead the team to victory every single game to build our resume. Don't have to worry about that any longer.
                              Agreed. This is their last time to just have fun in a college uniform. There is no pressure. They are in, just play ball.

Comment

• Just win baby!!! I don' care how you do it, just do it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X