No announcement yet.

WSU Versus UNLV Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The buzz here in Vegas surrounding this year's version of the Rebels is palpable (tm Bruce Haertl).

Easily Rice's best team thus far. Much more organized and passionate than the previous incarnations. The fans love the press and run style.

I have heard some rumblings that Rice can't coach offense, which is surprising since he was on the same coaching staff at BYU that had Jimmer. They cannot shoot their way out of a zone. I hope we have a smart game plan that includes the use of a lot of zone.

The press is intense and I pray we have Frankamp back because we need another ball handler.

The result hinges on how we handle the press and how we handle Zimmerman down low.

Comment

Looking forward to the atmosphere at the game. Fred back, Conner's debut, first home game in a few weeks, solid opponent who may be ranked...all adds up to some serious excitement at CKA. I think we struggle to score and adjust to the press and athletes they have initially, but shoot the lights out from about halfway through the first half on. UNLV decides to help us out after this game and doesn't immediately tank the rest of their season. Man, I wish I could be there.

Shocks 78
      Rebs 70

Comment

Should be an awesome atmosphere. Too bad we won't have any commentators here to pass that on to the viewers. Combine that with the muted crowd noise and the viewers are sure to get a good feel for one of the best atmospheres in college basketball.

I might actually have to start hoping FS1 picks up in the ratings department.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          Should be an awesome atmosphere. Too bad we won't have any commentators here to pass that on to the viewers. Combine that with the muted crowd noise and the viewers are sure to get a good feel for one of the best atmospheres in college basketball.

I might actually have to start hoping FS1 picks up in the ratings department.
          KenPom has us as the 4th most Thrilling game. Below is a list of the top seven with video among some ESPN network. How many of those are being broadcast remotely? I do no know.
          1 90 Hofstra at 126 Siena Siena 81-79 (57%) 7:00 pm
          ESPN Full Court
          Albany, NY
          Times Union Center
          2 88 Yale at 89 Illinois Illinois 72-68 (65%) 8:00 pm
          ESPN 3
          Champaign, IL
          State Farm Center
          3 43 Dayton at 12 Vanderbilt Vanderbilt 75-65 (83%) 9:00 pm
          ESPNU
          Nashville, TN
          Memorial Gym
          4 72 UNLV at 40 Wichita St. Wichita St. 72-66 (75%) 9:00 pm
          ESPN2
          Wichita, KS
          Koch Arena
          5 132 Toledo at 172 Detroit Detroit 85-83 (57%) 7:30 pm
          ESPN Full Court
          Detroit, MI
          Calihan Hall
          6 105 Nebraska at 68 Creighton Creighton 78-71 (74%) 8:00 pm
          CBS Sports Network
          Omaha, NE
          CenturyLink Center Omaha
          7 31 Valparaiso at 166 Indiana St. Valparaiso 68-63 (73%) 7:00 pm
          ESPN 3
          Terre Haute, IN
          Hulman Center
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            KenPom has us as the 4th most Thrilling game. Below is a list of the top seven with video among some ESPN network. How many of those are being broadcast remotely? I do no know.
            1 90 Hofstra at 126 Siena Siena 81-79 (57%) 7:00 pm
            ESPN Full Court
            Albany, NY
            Times Union Center
            2 88 Yale at 89 Illinois Illinois 72-68 (65%) 8:00 pm
            ESPN 3
            Champaign, IL
            State Farm Center
            3 43 Dayton at 12 Vanderbilt Vanderbilt 75-65 (83%) 9:00 pm
            ESPNU
            Nashville, TN
            Memorial Gym
            4 72 UNLV at 40 Wichita St. Wichita St. 72-66 (75%) 9:00 pm
            ESPN2
            Wichita, KS
            Koch Arena
            5 132 Toledo at 172 Detroit Detroit 85-83 (57%) 7:30 pm
            ESPN Full Court
            Detroit, MI
            Calihan Hall
            6 105 Nebraska at 68 Creighton Creighton 78-71 (74%) 8:00 pm
            CBS Sports Network
            Omaha, NE
            CenturyLink Center Omaha
            7 31 Valparaiso at 166 Indiana St. Valparaiso 68-63 (73%) 7:00 pm
            ESPN 3
            Terre Haute, IN
            Hulman Center
            Speaking of KenPom. He has us at 40 but 335th out of 351 in the "luck" category. Don't know exactly what that means, only that Alabama is 2nd out of 351 in it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
              Speaking of KenPom. He has us at 40 but 335th out of 351 in the "luck" category. Don't know exactly what that means, only that Alabama is 2nd out of 351 in it.
              "Luck" has to do with unpredictable things like how you fare in close games. It probably takes injury into consideration.
              Livin the dream

Comment

83-81 as Conner buries his 7th 3-pointer at the buzzer.

Comment

Just hopefully no one expects too much out of Conner in his first game. I can't imagine how many emotions he will have. Nerves, excitement, juiced up by the crowd. I expect good things from him, but I am trying to temper those expectations for a few games. He hasn't been in front of a crowd in a true game atmosphere for quite a while. Who knows how it will affect him. Let alone the type of atmosphere and games this next week will have.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Here is a concern of mine playing UNLV and Utah this week. We had 27 rebounds and ST. Louis had 26. Our guards Baker and FVV usually get their fair share of rebounds. However, below is that stats from some key inside players from last night that we hope improves against the better competition we will be facing this week.

Morris grabbed 6 rebounds in 19 minutes which tied Baker for the lead. Kelly had 4 rebounds in 16 minutes, Nurger had 2 in 12 minutes, MM had 2 in 17 minutes, Brown had 1 in 28 minutes, Hamilton 1 in 3 minutes, Wessel 0 in 29 minutes, B-Wam 0 in 5 minutes, and Hamilton 1 in 3 minutes. Hopefully these stats will improve, especially from the players getting predominate minutes.

One last concern is throws. We were awesome at 10-11 but St. Louis was 16-23. With enforcement of the new rules resulting in more throws to follow, I'm, hoping we draw more fouls than we commit. The Shocks are shooting a nice % on throws this Season. Hopefully CF draws tons of fouls, especially at the end of the game because he is very capable of shooting around 90% on them and Baker and FVV will be solid too.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

WSU - 82
                      UNLV - 68
                      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

I'm not too sure how specific to be my prediction. First time on the prediction list. I will follow many others here and say now that FVV is back on, we can be lethal. Also going with the board, UNLV deserves votes and will be in top 20 come march. Watching these last set of games I am irritated by Ron Bakers shot selection. He is Ron Baker, and has the green light, so I imagine he will score 20, but not before I smash my soda can watching him shoot without squaring up. Shaq will overcome this board, score 16, and bank shot like he's Baby Face Nelson.

FVV makes sure all 5 Rebels are ball watching him as he scoops it in (11 points).

I think we sadly drop this one, 75-64 Running Rebels W.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistral View Post
                          I'm not too sure how specific to be my prediction. First time on the prediction list. I will follow many others here and say now that FVV is back on, we can be lethal. Also going with the board, UNLV deserves votes and will be in top 20 come march. Watching these last set of games I am irritated by Ron Bakers shot selection. He is Ron Baker, and has the green light, so I imagine he will score 20, but not before I smash my soda can watching him shoot without squaring up. Shaq will overcome this board, score 16, and bank shot like he's Baby Face Nelson.

FVV makes sure all 5 Rebels are ball watching him as he scoops it in (11 points).

I think we sadly drop this one, 75-64 Running Rebels W.
                          We're lethal with Fred huh? So Ron scores 20, Shaq drops 16, FVV scores 11, leaving all 5 UNLV players turning their heads only to lose by double-digits at home to end the nation's second longest home court winning streak.

Makes you wonder what miraculous outputs would have to happen for us to eek out a W.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
                            It measure of team win deviation (actual vs projected). It based on the team offensive and defensive efficiency of KenPom. You can think of it kind of measure of how well they have won (or lost) close game. It is saying that WSU has been unlucky and could have had a better record than what they had.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              We're lethal with Fred huh? So Ron scores 20, Shaq drops 16, FVV scores 11, leaving all 5 UNLV players turning their heads only to lose by double-digits at home to end the nation's second longest home court winning streak.

Makes you wonder what miraculous outputs would have to happen for us to eek out a W.
                              A man who doesn't vote yet ridicules the voter. Put your ballet down or in your mouth.

Comment

Shox - 69
                                Rebs - 66
                                Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X