WSU Versus UNLV Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gator 82 View Post
    Ah, sorry about that, glad to see you guys are healthy. It makes for a better game between our 2 teams. Would love to get a return game back in Vegas with the Shockers. Not sure how it happens, but it seems like UNLV is always on the road for these MWC/MVC Challenge games. Oh well, gotta play games away from home and playing in this type of environment can only help later in the season.
    I'm just funin with you...welcome to SN. I have always been a passive fan of UNLV.

Comment

Rebel follower here, This game has me very nervous. It's our 1st true road game and gonna be an insane environment. I'm not sure if we'll be ranked come Monday morning, but I remember what happened last time we came to your house ranked 😭. I didn't get to see your game against St Louis yesterday, but saw you guys won. Did Vanfleet play and if so, how did he look? If we want to come out with a win, we're gonna have to play a near perfect game. Lookin forward to it.
      It's definitely a game that we are all looking forward to. We got Fred back against St Louis and will also add a highly regarded transfer guard for the game against UNLV. We aren't really even sure what our team is capable of yet because we've been down 3 or arguably 4 starters at times for the entire season to date. We lost our graduate transfer senior center to injury and we lost our best freshman to a broken foot. It's been a tough start to the year but now that Van Vleet is back, we have our general again and are hoping the trajectory is going in the right direction again. UNLV will catch a really hungry team in a super charged environment. It's gonna be a great game.

Comment

Ah, sorry about that, glad to see you guys are healthy. It makes for a better game between our 2 teams. Would love to get a return game back in Vegas with the Shockers. Not sure how it happens, but it seems like UNLV is always on the road for these MWC/MVC Challenge games. Oh well, gotta play games away from home and playing in this type of environment can only help later in the season.
        Welcome. Yes, this should be a great game. I'm looking forward to being there. You might want to tell your team to bring some earplugs, it's going to be loud. With that said, UNLV is extremely athletic and will be a huge test for WSU.

Also, I wouldn't say we are "healthy". We are still missing 2 key players (Shamet and Grady).

Comment

Would love to get a return game back in Vegas with the Shockers.
          Boom! You're on! You call your people and I will call my people -- let's get this done! Well if I had people. Maybe your people are big time enough I don't need people? Bottom line is this needs to happen.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            Welcome. Yes, this should be a great game. I'm looking forward to being there. You might want to tell your team to bring some earplugs, it's going to be loud. With that said, UNLV is extremely athletic and will be a huge test for WSU.

Also, I wouldn't say we are "healthy". We are still missing 2 key players (Shamet and Grady).
            And VanVleet is not 100% and is unlikely to be 100% for a while yet. However, VanVleet being able to play at any level is critical to the Shocks success as he showed last night against St. Louis.

Comment

I think just having him on the court is a huge morale booster for your team. Even at less than100%, he's still dangerous. We are pretty deep with about 10 guys in the rotation and have a good mix of young and veteran players. Our starting 5 will most likely be Sr PG Jerome Seagears who is a Rutgers transfer, Soph G Pat McCaw who is currently our leading scorer and MWC POY candidate, Sr G Ike Nwamu who is transfer from Mercer, Soph Dwayne Morgan and 7'-0" Fr Steven Zimmerman who was a McDonalds AA and top 10 recruit last year. We have a pretty deep bench with Oregon Jr transfer Ben Carter who is the heart and soul of this team, Soph G Jordan Cornish, Derrick Jones Jr who is a freak athlete and human highlight reel. If you haven't had a chance to see him, just google his name and watch some absolutely insane dunks. He's said to be the best dunker in CBB right now, Fr PG Jaylen Poyser who was the #1 rated receuit coming out of Canada last year and then Jr JC transfer Tyrone Green who shot 45% from the 3pt range at JC last year. We would have been about 11 deep if Goodluck Okonoboh had not transferred out a couple weeks ago, but nonetheless, this is one of Dave Rices deepest an most athletic teams since he's been HC at UNLV. We run a lot of press and are long, deep and athletic enough to keep it up for most of the game, but on the other side, we have had problems with teams that run a zone on us.
              Last edited by Gator 82; December 6, 2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I knew Pat McCaw sounded familiar

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                  Pat was a 3* recruit and a part of UNLV's top 10 recruiting class last year which included 5* Rashad Vaughn, 4* Goodluck Okonoboh, 4* Dwayne Morgan and 3* Jordan Cornish, but outside of Vaughn, Pat has turned to be the most successful of the bunch and is currently averaging around 19 PPG. He was definitely a steal for the Rebels and could possibly be headed to the NBA at the end of the year.

Comment

Pat was a 3* recruit and a part of UNLV's top 10 recruiting class last year which included 5* Rashad Vaughn, 4* Goodluck Okonoboh, 4* Dwayne Morgan and 3* Jordan Cornish, but outside of Vaughn, Pat has turned to be the most successful of the bunch and is currently averaging around 19 PPG. He was definitely a steal for the Rebels and could possibly be headed to the NBA at the end of the year.
                    It would have been nice if we could have landed him instead of Glass.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      It would have been nice if we could have landed him instead of Glass.
                      Definitely glad he chose UNLV over the Shockers. I would have hated for UNLV to have had to play against him on Wednesday night. He would have definitely presented matchup problems for us. How many guys do you usually play in your rotation? I'm obviously familiar with VanFleet and Baker, but not sure how deep you guys are. Our depth has definitely been an advantage for us so far.

Comment

Definitely glad he chose UNLV over the Shockers. I would have hated for UNLV to have had to play against him on Wednesday night. He would have definitely presented matchup problems for us. How many guys do you usually play in your rotation? I'm obviously familiar with VanFleet and Baker, but not sure how deep you guys are. Our depth has definitely been an advantage for us so far.
                        Our rotation is quite a bit shorter than it could be. We assure missing 2 "starter quality" people in Shamet and Grady. That said we will still probably rotate in 9 or 10 depending on if Frankamp is eligible as everyone is hoping.

Comment

Based on what we saw against St. Louis, you can expect to see walk-on PG John Robert Simon backup VanVleet a little bit, depending on how much Conner Frankamp plays and whether his minutes are at PG or SG. So Zach Brown and Sr Evan Wessel will see the majority of SF and PF minutes, respectively. It looks like So Shaq Morris has earned the starting spot at center.

Reserves, besides the guards I mentioned are forwards Fr Markis McDuffie, So Rashard Kelly, C/F So Rauno Nurger and Sr center Bush Wamukota.

Fr G Ty Taylor and Fr F Eric Hamilton could also see some spot minutes.

Comment

Our depth is difficult to ascertain. We were without 4 of our top 6/7 players for the Iowa game, including two starters and our #3 and 4 guards. We will still be down one starter and one guard against UNLV, but will bring in our top 40 transfer for his debut.

Against UNLV he will start VanVleet and Baker. Senior Evan Wessel will likely start and one of the forward positions as well. After that we will have the Frankamp debut at both guard position, Zach Brown and Markis McDuffie on the wings, Rashard Kelly at forward, and three posts will rotate at the 5 depending on match-ups. That will probably be the rotation with post senior Anton Grady and freshman guard Landry Shamet still side-lined. Frehman Eric Hamilton and Ty Taylor are averaging 8 and 14 minutes respectively, but are unlikely to see much time now that Fred, Conner, and Rauno are playing...so a rotation of 10 players.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Looks like both teams on paper are pretty evenly matched and play about the same amount of guys. It's gonna be a nerve racking game for me no doubt.

Comment

WSU78
                                UNLV 70
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X