Wessel at SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wessel at SF

Evan might be better as an undersized 4. Playing the 4, he's around the basket. That maximizes his hustle and effort to get balls for possessions.

Moving him away from the basket doesn't give him the same opportunities to use the abilities that made him a key factor over the last 2 years.

Wessel is a significant downgrade from Cotton at SF. Wessel is about the same shooter from 3 as Cotton, but Wessel isn't a threat to drive to the hoop.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Evan might be better as an undersized 4. Playing the 4, he's around the basket. That maximizes his hustle and effort to get balls for possessions.

Moving him away from the basket doesn't give him the same opportunities to use the abilities that made him a key factor over the last 2 years.

Wessel is a significant downgrade from Cotton at SF. Wessel is about the same shooter from 3 as Cotton, but Wessel isn't a threat to drive to the hoop.
    This is where Shamet needs to mature... Quickly. Or Brown needs to change the direction he's headed, he seems to Have lost all confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

No doubter. I got worried when this happened. His value is at the four.

Comment

I agree. I loved last year's lineup and would love to see Wessel starting at the four. We don't have the need for two big men on the court at the same time, unless one of them can be a consistent threat from the outside(Cle). Playing Wessel at the four lets us add another shooter on the floor and helps to keep other defenses honest on the three point line, instead of helping off the other big man and clogging the lane.

At this point, I'd start Van Vleet, Shamet, Baker, Wessel, and Grady.

Not sure if coach will switch it up, though.

Comment

I just don't think we will be as successful as we want to be this year with EW playing 28 minutes like he did tonight. I know he hasn't looked confident yet, but there's no way Brown gives up nearly as much defensively. I think longer term Ron will play some 3 when CF becomes eligible. I've heard some of the coaching staff really like that lineup offensively.

Comment

Originally posted by swiltar71 View Post
            I just don't think we will be as successful as we want to be this year with EW playing 28 minutes like he did tonight. I know he hasn't looked confident yet, but there's no way Brown gives up nearly as much defensively. I think longer term Ron will play some 3 when CF becomes eligible. I've heard some of the coaching staff really like that lineup offensively.
            Sadly Brown has not looked good this year at all.

Comment

It's funny how much a loss changes people's whole opinion. I got lambasted in the off season for suggesting wessel should continue to start at the four.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxtop View Post
                It's funny how much a loss changes people's whole opinion. I got lambasted in the off season for suggesting wessel should continue to start at the four.
                I think he can be effective at the 4 against some teams, but we can't compete with the best playing a 6'4" 4-man much IMO.

Comment

He creates matchup issues for other teams at times at the four. He creates matchup issues for WSU at the three.

Comment

Right now, Wessel isn't getting very many shots because he's going up against other teams small forwards who are usually crazy athletic. Put him at the four and guys like Perry Ellis will have a hard time guarding him.

Comment

It's not the loss that bothers me... It's Fred's health... Not playing till Orlando should have been warranted...

Comment

It's early.

Comment

Cotton was a significantly better shooter than Wessel. Wessel should be a 6th man, the problem is we don't have a better option right now. The center spot is begging for Bush or Shaq to take over but neither want it. The 3 spot is begging for Zach or Markis to take over but neither are ready. If those 4 guys would step up, we could play Anton and Rashard at the 4 and have Evan sub in at the 3 or 4 depending on need, we would be so much better. Hopefully this will unfold as the season progresses.

Comment

I like Wessel a lot. I love what he brings to the team as far as hustle plays and heart. He can't play the 3 defensively. A few of the wide open 3 pointers Tulsa shot were because FVV was immobile on one leg and shouldn't have been on the floor between Oct. 31 when he hurt his hammy and Orlando. That's when we need him most and when we need him healthy. The rest of the wide open 3 pointers were just because EW is too slow. He can't keep up with the athletes that play the 3. The 2 or 3 times he actually was close to his man around the arc, he got blown by. As much as I hate to say it, Evan's best value to this team is at the 4 in a 4 guard line-up. He just doesn't have the foot speed to play the 3.
                            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

That's the way I see it. But let's wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                              X