Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Discussion: Thoughts on Cheick Diallo vs Anton Grady?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Discussion: Thoughts on Cheick Diallo vs Anton Grady?

It is all about being coachable, but coachability begins with humility. Over the years I have seen some incredibly talented players who never reach their full potential simply due to a lack of humility and coachability. Regardless of whether you go through a change in teammates, coaches or coaching philosophy at the college or professional level, coachability is one of the most critical traits in career advancement.
    Last edited by Bentley; September 3, 2015, 03:02 PM.

This ought to be good.

Comment

My thoughts are that Diallo may never play a minute of college basketball and Grady will have played four seasons, culminating in what will hopefully be a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

That Diallo situation is weird. Some kids that went to the same school he did have been declared ineligible, others have been declared eligible. If I were to venture a guess, I'd guess that Diallo probably SHOULD be declared ineligible because of the school. On the other hand, if he did what he was supposed to do, he should be eligible. The problem here is that his eligibility probably won't be based on if he did what he was supposed to do or not. I mean, we are talking about the almighty infallible beakers. They have their own metric that will probably make him eligible regardless.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Why are we comparing the two again? One hasn't played a minute of college ball and the other could be starting for a national title contender.

With regards to his eligibility, I don't know a whole lot about Diallo's situation. But hasn't he already completed 6 credit hours or something? And how is that different from the "education" most of these elite prospects actually complete in high school? I get rules are rules but a lot of the NCAA's rules are bad rules. And what is your point about coachability?

With regards to Grady on our team, he will be good. Probably even more efficient than he was at CSU with a lot more offensive threats on our squad and a much better coaching staff to go along with his skills.
          Last edited by Kel Varnsen; September 3, 2015, 02:20 PM.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I have no idea who Cheick Diallo is, but he sure does have an unfortunate name. Do I have a reason to know this guy from Adam?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              I have no idea who Cheick Diallo is, but he sure does have an unfortunate name. Do I have a reason to know this guy from Adam?
              He's a complicated man
              But no one understands him but his woman

*Oops, I was talkin' bout Shaft
              Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

More KU defense...shocking.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                  Why are we comparing the two again? One hasn't played a minute of college ball and the other could be starting for a national title contender.

With regards to his eligibility, I don't know a whole lot about Diallo's situation. But hasn't he already completed 6 credit hours or something? And how is that different from the "education" most of these elite prospects actually complete in high school? I get rules are rules but a lot of the NCAA's rules are bad rules. And what is your point about coachability?

With regards to Grady on our team, he will be good. Probably even more efficient than he was at CSU with a lot more offensive threats on our squad and a much better coaching staff to go along with his skills.
                  Re: Comparing the two again. This is my first thread so my apologies if this topic has been exhausted.

Re: Eligibility. I'll say it again. Other schools knew months in advance there were issues with Cliff Alexander. Besides Kansas. And again with Diallo. But KU fans keep convincing themselves their coach isn't 1 of 2 things. 1. Either dumb or 2. Take commitments to hype a class.

Re: Coachability. When I look at a recruit, I look at so much more than talent and athleticism. How does he act when he comes out of the game? Does he walk to the bench or run? Does he mope or high five his teammates? Does he dive on the floor for loose balls? How is his body language when being coached? Is he an eye roller? Is he a shoulder shrugger? These things tell me whether or not he has the character and coachability to play college basketball.

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                  Dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley View Post
                    It is all about being coachable, but coachability begins with humility. Over the years I have seen some incredibly talented players who never reach their full potential simply due to a lack of humility and coachability. Regardless of whether you go through a change in teammates, coaches or coaching philosophy at the college or professional level, coachability is one of the most critical traits in career advancement.
                    One will not hustle to the ball because deep inside he knows he's a wuss and will be getting paid the following year nonetheless...while the other will beat him to the ball taking it down the court flushing a statement dunk embarrassing the other on national tv. I've seen it before.... ;)

In the exhibit below...please see example of one player who possesses coachability and humility while the other player does not.

FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                      One will not hustle to the ball because deep inside he knows he's a wuss and will be getting paid the following year nonetheless...while the other will beat him to the ball taking it down the court flushing a statement dunk embarrassing the other on national tv. I've seen it before.... ;)

In the exhibit below...please see example of one player who possesses coachability and humility while the other player does not.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                        Wait, so he was defending KU? Or that like KU's defense, Cheick will never see the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

I will NEVER grow tired of watching that clip.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                            Unheralded in this play is a tall shot-blocker giving a driving player no shot option, resulting in a terrible pass.

After his drastic improvement very late in the season and some of the positive things Marshall has said about him since then, I'm excited about BWam's possible role in the rotation this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                              Me neither.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X