Valley tournament discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to Drake for a minute.

I noticed something in today's game. Mainly that their post player(s), don't have to have much of an inside offensive game. They get all their points off of dribble-penetration by the guards and put-backs. They are a team that just happens to have the right pieces this year (quickness and perimeter shooting) for the system Davis is running. Without Emmenecker, Houston and Korver, I think next year will be a major struggle for the Bulldogs.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they play a high seed in the NCAAs that can match their perimeter quickness and has a strong inside game.

Comment

They are going to have to have a big infusion of talent next year or it's going to be right back in the play in game or at least in the running for the play in game.

Drake 2007-2008 = perfect storm.

And I salute them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
        Originally posted by Rosewood
        After watching Mo State get snubbed, I won't be surprised if A&M gets in and Ill State gets left out.
        Illinois St has some things going for it:

RPI 30
        Last 10: 8-2
        2nd Place in the MVC Regular Season
        Finals of the MVC Tourny
        9-7 on the road
        Only negative is their record vs top 50.

I don't think they can be snubbed for A&M and it's not the same situation with SWMO. Last year SWMO was 3rd in the MVC and RPI was in bubble territory and lost in the semi's.

Now the 2006 SWMO is a different story - that's a head scratcher somewhat, but that had some issues:

1. Non-conference schedule wasn't great
        2. They lost in the 1st round of the MVC
        3. 5-9 versus Top 100 competition
        4. It came down to the NCAA wasn't going to give MVC 5 teams.
        Good thing for ISU is there's no comparison with the '06 version of the Valley...In other words, this season there are only 2 good teams and then it's a big dropoff after that. The only reason SWMO got left out in '06 was there were just too many tournament-worthy Valley teams and they got squeezed out by the fiece competition.

Comment

Looks the Redbirds are ranked 37th on the Yahoo Big Bracket Board. To me it looks like they are in. They have the looks of Bradley, the year they went to the Sweet 16. What do you guys think?

:wsu_posters:
          ________
          LUKUMI DICUSSION
          http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Congrats to Drake.

They looked hella good today.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I will be supporting our MVC teams in the 'Big Dance'.

Comment

Drake looked awesome in pretty much the whole tourney.

Anybody that was at the tourney hear those drunk crieghton fans behind the WSU section, who were in a club box for the CU/bradley game. Boy were they talking some stuff. it just reminds me why i hate crieghton so much.
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234

Anybody that was at the tourney hear those drunk crieghton fans behind the WSU section, who were in a club box for the CU/bradley game. Boy were they talking some stuff. it just reminds me why i hate crieghton so much.
                  I’m sure glad there weren’t any drunk WSU fans in St. Louis… we’re always good little angels.
                  :D
                  SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by SFL

I’m sure glad there weren’t any drunk WSU fans in St. Louis… we’re always good little angels.
                    :D
                    there were, but they werent up talking for the entire freaking game
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

It didn't bother me that they were talkin through out the game, thats what happens when you get all the fans there from differnt schools. What DID bother me was what they were actually saying. When they started talking about their "Man hood" and how they chocked women with it that was enough for me and my wife. I was glad to see that after security talked with them after the game they seemed to be good for the next session.

One a side note here, You sure could tell what fans support their is for certain schools. I was stunned to see only a little over 11,000 there for the title game yesterday. Doug should make a note of that and send it to Kansas City every other year, that way if WSU, CU, or SIU are not in the mix there would still be a sell-out up there. I do beleive that their was just about as many WSU people there as their was for Drake.

Comment

I was waiting to see if this would be posted on here. I was actually sitting on the top row (KK) so I had the joy of being right underneath them, and since I was rooting for Bradley from the start of the game, I was one of the people they were going after from the start. The best part was when they asked one of us why we would root for Bradley over Creighton.

Comment

Once SIU got 'ColeMANed' Friday night, the empty seats appeared in Scott like Canadian geese around condo ponds. There will be other STL observations coming in my annual STL notes, quotes and billygoats. 8)
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

This question may have been answer in a previous post somewhere, but I suppose the league "figured" out that there would be a larger TV audience on Sunday afternoon, as opposed to Monday night for the championship game? It would seem to me that Monday night would have the larger TV audience, if that is what they are trying to accomplish.

Perhaps it has to do with the game being on CBS, as opposed to ESPN?

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker
                              This question may have been answer in a previous post somewhere, but I suppose the league "figured" out that there would be a larger TV audience on Sunday afternoon, as opposed to Monday night for the championship game? It would seem to me that Monday night would have the larger TV audience, if that is what they are trying to accomplish.

Perhaps it has to do with the game being on CBS, as opposed to ESPN?
                              I'm fairly certain they were trying to increase the in-house attendance, and it appears to be working. This set-up allows people to take one less day off from work. I like the current format, and would like it a lot more if we could avoid Thursday from here on out.

Comment

Comments From Drake Fans

We had a couple from Drake approach us after our one game to tell us that they agreed that if there were any fans in the entire arena who deserved a victory, it was the Shocker fans.

I was extremely proud of our fans throughout the entire tournament. Even Sunday, there was still a tremendous amount of yellow Shocker shirts there.

I recall our 1st year 9 tournaments ago that I felt somewhat ashamed at the lack of Shocker fans. Great going people.

Comment

Working...
                                X