Wichita State basketball newcomers adjust to surroundings to start summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    If we get a summer trip, you'll see Fred, Ron and Evan on the beach like about a million times more than on the floor. Gregg knows what he's doing and he's not going to put 1 extra mile on those guys legs. It will be a total vacation for those 3.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Grady next in line for a lot of bench time. I'm guessing he'll pick up HCGM's system pretty fast and it will be important to see how the other bigs get it together.

Add: 1: Frankamp, Taylor; 2: Shamet, Brown; 3: McDuffie, Brown; 4: Kelly, Hamilton, Morris; 5: Wam, Nurger, Morris. Did I leave anyone out? Yeah, I'd like to see how they work together.
    Last edited by ShockTalk; June 5, 2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

If we get a summer trip, you'll see Fred, Ron and Evan on the beach like about a million times more than on the floor. Gregg knows what he's doing and he's not going to put 1 extra mile on those guys legs. It will be a total vacation for those 3.
      Wait are you suggesting that Evan will be on the team? I thought he was giving up his scholarship and quitting the team he starts for because he is a liability. It seems like you grouped his legs in along with Fred and Ron's and that must have been a mistake. :) I figured if there was a trip, he would have probably gotten left home because there won't be any minutes for him.........

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
        Wait are you suggesting that Evan will be on the team? I thought he was giving up his scholarship and quitting the team he starts for because he is a liability. It seems like you grouped his legs in along with Fred and Ron's and that must have been a mistake. :) I figured if there was a trip, he would have probably gotten left home because there won't be any minutes for him.........
        Both Evan and Ron were always going to go on the trip. They were just going to pay their own way so we could bring along the cheerleaders.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Both Evan and Ron were always going to go on the trip. They were just going to pay their own way so we could bring along the cheerleaders.
          This is one scenario where I could see a guy considering paying his own way.

Comment

I don't remember the dates, and am not going to look them up, but I wonder if the Pan Am games are part of the reason the trip is on hold. Maybe the dates of that tournament interfere with when the trip may be planned. I agree that they probably wouldn't play much, but I'm sure 3G would like to have RB and FVV along for the trip if they do go.

Edit: Decided to look it up. It looks like if the were to make the team and play in all possible games, they would be starting try-outs on July 7, and the last game (championship) would be on July 25.
            Last edited by ShockdaWorld; June 5, 2015, 12:19 PM.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

How much COACHING did Gregg have to do last year when those three plus Tekele and Darius were on the floor together? I mean, even guys like Fred and Ron still need instruction on certain things...but GEEZ, if there was ever a group that Gregg could let play while taking a five-minute power nap, it would be that crew.
              78-65

Comment

I also just noticed that Taylor averaged 20 ppg at Hargrave last year. Pretty nice stats there.

Comment

"The foundation of the team is that everybody wants to win,” he said. “When everybody wants to win, people will do anything it takes to get on the same page. I didn’t know how deep it was. From these guys’ body of work you can already tell they win. You don’t really know the secret or what’s the formula until you get here and then you start seeing that there’s something that they do different."
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

The first crossover I see him do, I'm going to start calling Taylor "Shoelace Jr."

Book it. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDover1018 View Post
                      I also just noticed that Taylor averaged 20 ppg at Hargrave last year. Pretty nice stats there.
                      I believe Rashard averaged 16 a game at Hargrave. Something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                        I actually tried to look that up immediately before I posted that. Those prep school stats are elusive on a basic Google search. Taylor does have the scoring records at his high school, which also has NBA player Alec Burks as an alumni. It is pretty clear that Taylor has scoring chops for the levels below College Basketball. Here's hoping that those chops translate to high level D1 basketball as well.

Comment

DOES ANYONE HAVE INSIDER ACCESS TO READ WHAT GOODMANHACKJEFF WROTE ABOUT WSU
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                            Kelly averaged 22.3 ppg at Hargrave per his goshockers.com bio.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                              DOES ANYONE HAVE INSIDER ACCESS TO READ WHAT GOODMANHACKJEFF WROTE ABOUT WSU
                              Scholarship chart

Seniors (5): PG Fred VanVleet, SG Ron Baker, SG Evan Wessel, PF Anton Grady, C Bush Wamukota

Juniors (0): None

Sophomores (4): SF Zach Brown, PF Rashard Kelly, PF Shaquille Morris, C Rauno Nurger

Freshmen (4): PG Tyrone Taylor, SG Landry Shamet, SF Markis McDuffie, PF Eric Hamilton

Possible early entry losses after next season: None

Available scholarships for 2016: Five

Committed prospects for 2016 and beyond: None

Biggest needs for 2016-17: True point guard, big and versatile wing, center, inside-outside big man

Must-haves: PG C.J. Walker (Spiece Indy Heat)

Targets: PG C.J. Walker (Spiece Indy Heat), C Isaac Humphries (No. 40 in ESPN 100, Spiece Indy Heat), PG Tony Carr (Team Final), SF Xavier Sneed (St. Louis Eagles), SG Deshawn Corprew (Boo Williams), SF Micah Thomas (Team Thad), PG Lamar Peters (New Orleans Elite), SG Jaylen Barford (JUCO), SG K.J. Santos (Mac Irvin Fire), PF Tyler Cook (St. Louis Eagles), PG Braxton Beverly (The Travelers), SG Jakolby Long (Athlete's First), PG Eric Hester (Team Breakdown)

Summer scenario

Gregg Marshall will lose two of the program's all-time most successful players after next season in Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker -- and Marshall obviously won't be able to simply go out and find replicas for their experience and leadership. However, replacing those two players is the Shockers' biggest key for the 2016 class. They are pursuing a long list of perimeter players, but C.J. Walker is the biggest target. The former Purdue commit had a huge spring, but Wichita State has positioned itself squarely in the mix for Walker. One thing to keep an eye on is the complete lack of juniors in the Shockers' scholarship chart. As a result, expect them to target the junior college or fifth-year transfer ranks next spring. Having eight freshmen and sophomores on the roster means they are set up well moving forward, but more balance in terms of scholarships would help.

Comment

Frankamp will likely take one of the 5 schollies.

Comment

Working...
                                X