No announcement yet.

FVV - NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FVV will win a NBA Championship someday. AZ Shocker's crystal ball says so. :)

The young man is just so good. Every Shocker fan knows this. Like "Good News" in San Antonio...I've watched the NBA Suns with Steve Nash probably over 500 times and FVV is up there in skill set, incredible handles, and MOST importantly SMARTS (basketball IQ). Right coach...right team...he'll make EVERYONE better around him. Invaluable team player and leader. I'm amazed we get him back for one more year. He may not of got drafted this season...but had he come out...he would get playing time next year on some lucky NBA team.

One last thing....I don't think we've seen nuttin' out of Fred yet. Senior season will be HUGE with some new twist to his game!!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
      Umm, what? Name one point guard that FVV couldn't keep in front of him.

Several times this year it was Cotton that couldn't physically keep in front of an athletic player, and FVV switched onto them and shut them down. I can't remember the last time I saw FVV struggle to keep ANYONE in front of him. He ate Yogi Ferrell alive in the tournament.
      You don't need to play defense in the NBA if your offense is real good...lol

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
        You don't need to play defense in the NBA if your offense is real good...lol
        Exhibit A: Kyle Korver

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          Particularly point guards. Fred obviously knows how they think. Tekele did not fare well against Yogi Ferrell from Indiana. Once Fred started guarding Yogi, Yogi was not as successful.
          Wasn't it FVV that was switched to Washpun in the game against UNI, after Washpun had his way with Tekele @UNI? I was going to skim over the game on ESPN3 to be sure, but I can't find the game on there.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
            Wasn't it FVV that was switched to Washpun in the game against UNI, after Washpun had his way with Tekele @UNI? I was going to skim over the game on ESPN3 to be sure, but I can't find the game on there.
            That is correct. Like someone said, FVV is a great on ball defender. Probably the best on the team, including Tekele.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              I think I may take a FVV that has been in the NBA for several years over current Patty Mills too, but if it is current FVV over current Patty Mills it's just not a contest in my book. The guy has been playing against NBA talent since 2009. If you have a fantasy draft for college athletics and it's all current college players and a six-year NBA veteran, the NBA veteran gets taken first every single time.

It was like someone saying Harden would be a bench warmer on our team. I appreciate that you've seen the Spurs a bunch in person, but you've seen him playing against other NBA players. As foolish as FVV makes most college teams look, Mills would just dominate in college.
              Yikes. Do I need to check my meter?

Patty Mills was all-conference twice in college in a weaker conference than the Valley, and never made an All-American team. Fred has already surpassed that.

I doubt that Mills is even in the top 10 on the Spurs roster in minutes, and I sure as shyte know that he hasn't even started a game this year. Maybe ever, and if he did it was because they were tanking for rest.

And you're saying that choosing Fred over a guy the same size as him (and believe me since I've met one and been close to the other, there's no question who I pick first from that standpoint) is the same craziness as an NBA MVP candidate coming off the bench for a college team?

I'll agree to disagree on that. Have fun watching the playoffs.

Although I do understand your men vs. boys comment - I just don't think Fred is a boy, and I think that while Patty would shred the Valley as a grown man... well... he wouldn't like practice much.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                And you're saying that choosing Fred over a guy the same size as him (and believe me since I've met one and been close to the other, there's no question who I pick first from that standpoint) is the same craziness as an NBA MVP candidate coming off the bench for a college team?
                Someone on here a few weeks ago was saying Harden would be a bench warmer on our team. I certainly didn't mean to imply your argument was that nonsensical. I just meant they both fail to account for just how good the NBA is.

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                Patty Mills was all-conference twice in college in a weaker conference than the Valley, and never made an All-American team. Fred has already surpassed that.
                Right, which is why I would take college FVV over college Mills and NBA FVV over NBA Mills. I just don't take college Fred over NBA Mills.

Maybe I put too much value on how good the NBA is. I just think if I'm building a dream team for one year, and I'm not worried about future potential in any way, I take an NBA player averaging 7 points a game in limited minutes over just about any college player. We're bringing in players that are more highly recruited and going to receive more national awards than Toure Murry ever did. That said, Toure Murry absolutely starts on our team this year. When you get to focus on something because it's your job 24/7, and you are playing against the best players in the world, you just get so much better at it.

Comment

Toure Murry would fit like a glove at the 3 on this team.

Comment

So I hope FVV makes it in the League. But we have to remember this is a BUSINESS for them. As I mentioned during the "should FVV stay" period, he will NOT be a first round pick, so no guaranteed contract, and probably not a second round pick, so no guaranteed tryouts at all. The NBA scouts aren't just evaluating talent, they are evaluating potential and weighing it against cost to the salary cap to keep them around. IF FVV convinces someone to sign him, it will be with a series of one year contracts, meaning he's continuously having to show his worth, not just his talent. It can happen, but it would be a hard, draining battle and would end up looking like Barera or Mills (Mills was with Portland before SA); not a lot of playing time, lots of bench warming. If that is what he chooses over coaching, I think he has a hard struggle. But it won't likely be a 5-7 yr career. I like his potential as coach better.

Comment

I was going to write on here that Fred is nothing like Barea - because I normally think of Barea as a cat-quick guy that uses his unique physical abilities to breakdown defenders. And then I went back and looked at some Barea highlights. Now I have to agree as I can also see how Fred has a lot of Barea in his game. Fred's about 3 or 4 inches taller, but both guys have stout upper bodies.

I've heard Fred compared favorably to Steve Nash, which is a nice compliment. I've always thought of him as a smaller Deron Williams. But this Barea comparison is very astute.

Comment

Working...
                      X