FVV - NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FVV - NBA

I've always been one to think Fred could play in the NBA but will have to scratch and claw his way into the league due to his physical deficiencies. After watching the Dallas-Houston series, I realized that he is actually almost identical to JJ Berea. JJ played 4 years of college at Northeastern, undersized, went undrafted, invited to camps and worked his way onto an NBA roster. He's now been in the league almost 10 years. He was the glue to the Mavericks in this series. When Rajon Rondo was puling his antics, it was Berea that would pull the team back together. I have never seen a guy play that reminded me more of FVV. I really believe it will happen for Fred.

Short point guards can make it in the NBA. My concern is his speed to keep up on defense. While he's generally been a great defender, against good, bigger point guards, he has struggled keeping those guys in front of him.

Comment

I'm already putting the word out down here that I know a guy that is the ultimate team player and is currently better than (and physically superior to) Patty Mills. He's perfect for the Spurs system.

Comment

JJ also had the luxury of playing for the PR national team and was able to showcase talents against some of the NBA's best.

Comment

To say FVV is better than Patty Mills is a stretch LOL
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

QUOTE=Dan;574568]I've always been one to think Fred could play in the NBA but will have to scratch and claw his way into the league due to his physical deficiencies. After watching the Dallas-Houston series, I realized that he is actually almost identical to JJ Berea. JJ played 4 years of college at Northeastern, undersized, went undrafted, invited to camps and worked his way onto an NBA roster. He's now been in the league almost 10 years. He was the glue to the Mavericks in this series. When Rajon Rondo was puling his antics, it was Berea that would pull the team back together. I have never seen a guy play that reminded me more of FVV. I really believe it will happen for Fred.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking the same thing since I saw Berea in a game last year.

Comment

One thing about it, Rajon was a 'Wrongo' for the Mavs.....

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                I'm already putting the word out down here that I know a guy that is the ultimate team player and is currently better than (and physically superior to) Patty Mills. He's perfect for the Spurs system.
                HAHA better than patty mills, Have you seen patty mills play? Have you seen him shoot? Patty mills is averaging 12 PPG in the playoffs right now. Fred may end up being a great NBA player but to say he is better right now isn't even close to the truth.

Comment

JJ Berea is not lightning fast. I would say physically he's about as close to Fred as it gets. JJ may even be a bit shorter. Fred probably has better hands and is a better ball handler, although JJ is pretty good. JJ likes to drive into the trees and dish off to the bigs or will even take the shot if he has too - almost identical to Fred's game. If it weren't for JJ's play, the Mavericks wouldn't even kept it as close as they did. If Fred can market himself as a JJ Berea type player, he will get some looks. I really don't think he compares to Patty Mills.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                    To say FVV is better than Patty Mills is a stretch LOL
                    Indeed, kai. If Good News wants to trade someone for FVV, he should lobby for replacing Cory Joseph, not Mills. Also, that 4-4 performance from Mills on threes last night is one of the keys to why the Spurs are up 3-2 in their series instead of down, and they might not have won it all last year if Mills hadn't stepped up as he did.

Comment

I do not know if FVV will make it in the NBA.

I do know that his entire basketball career he has been compared to guys more athletic, more highly rated, on better teams and been found wanting by the 'experts'.

I also know that he has regularly defeated those same opponents, and is well on his way to putting together one of the better 4 year collegiate careers in recent college basketball history.

I do not know if FVV will make it in the NBA. I do know that I will not be the one betting against him.

Comment

I was surprised to see his draft stock so low, considering his performance in the NCAA tourney. He went up against some pretty good guards in all 3 games, who I think will likely be playing in the NBA (even though Oubre doesn't seem like he should, for some reason the scouts do). In all 3 games I think he outplayed or at worst held his own against likely future NBA competition. I felt like Cleanthony got a real boost by playing well against NBA D-League Kentucky, showing that he could hang with that level. So I really thought FVV scoring/stealing/etc. from that level would have bumped him up?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          I do not know if FVV will make it in the NBA.

I do know that his entire basketball career he has been compared to guys more athletic, more highly rated, on better teams and been found wanting by the 'experts'.

I also know that he has regularly defeated those same opponents, and is well on his way to putting together one of the better 4 year collegiate careers in recent college basketball history.

I do not know if FVV will make it in the NBA. I do know that I will not be the one betting against him.
                          My favorite post since joining Shockernet. My thoughts exactly.
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I hope FVV enjoys as long an NBA career as he wants. And I hope that at some point in the future here on SN, we get to use the acronym "HCFVV" for Wichita State.
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I hope Fred makes it in the NBA, but I see a more reasonable trajectory as him playing perhaps a few years in the NBA, but more importantly, becoming a HC somewhere like Steve Alford.

And I hope he leads us to a NC like Alford did.

Comment

Working...
                              X