FVV - NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
    I hope Fred makes it in the NBA, but I see a more reasonable trajectory as him playing perhaps a few years in the NBA, but more importantly, becoming a HC somewhere like Steve Alford.

And I hope he leads us to a NC like Alford did.
    True. Go make some NBA coin for 5-7 years, get a HC gig to "pay his dues" for a few years, then take over here when 3G retires. Then in about 30-40 years we can put a statue of FVV out on the entrance plaza next to 3Gs.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Dumbfounded - to make speechless with amazement; astonish.
      synonyms: astonish, astound, amaze, stagger, surprise, startle, stun, confound, stupefy, daze, take aback, stop someone in their tracks, strike dumb, leave open-mouthed

NBA scouts ask Gregg Marshall...
      "Coach do you think Fred has the skill set and is mentally tough enough to play in the NBA?"

FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        True. Go make some NBA coin for 5-7 years, get a HC gig to "pay his dues" for a few years, then take over here when 3G retires. Then in about 30-40 years we can put a statue of FVV out on the entrance plaza next to 3Gs.
        I don't think he needs to get a HC gig if he plays 7 years in the NBA. He will already have 3 years experience as a player-coach at Wichita State. Bring him back to Wichita State as HCIW and he will be ready to go when 3G retires.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          I do not know if FVV will make it in the NBA.

I do know that his entire basketball career he has been compared to guys more athletic, more highly rated, on better teams and been found wanting by the 'experts'.

I also know that he has regularly defeated those same opponents, and is well on his way to putting together one of the better 4 year collegiate careers in recent college basketball history.

I do not know if FVV will make it in the NBA. I do know that I will not be the one betting against him.
          Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
          My favorite post since joining Shockernet. My thoughts exactly.
          At first glance I thought @Cdizzle: was making a Dr. Seuss rhyme...
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            JJ Berea is not lightning fast. I would say physically he's about as close to Fred as it gets. JJ may even be a bit shorter. Fred probably has better hands and is a better ball handler, although JJ is pretty good. JJ likes to drive into the trees and dish off to the bigs or will even take the shot if he has too - almost identical to Fred's game. If it weren't for JJ's play, the Mavericks wouldn't even kept it as close as they did. If Fred can market himself as a JJ Berea type player, he will get some looks. I really don't think he compares to Patty Mills.
            I don't follow the Mavericks, so I've never really paid attention to Barea and didn't know he was as small as he was. If he can spend nine years in the NBA (full time the last seven), after coming out of mighty Northeastern, so can FVV. Fred won't get the degree of attention he deserves, because his physical "measurables" the scouts watch so closely in drafting don't measure up. But I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make it, and I'm hoping he goes to camp as a free agent with my old favorite Spurs when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              At first glance I thought @Cdizzle was making a Dr. Seuss rhyme...
              I definitely do not like green eggs and ham.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                I definitely do not like green eggs and ham.
                Say!
                I like green eggs and ham!
                I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am!
                And I would eat them in a boat!
                And I would eat them with a goat...
                And I will eat them in the rain.
                And in the dark. And on a train.
                And in a car. And in a tree.
                They are so good so good you see!
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I always loved watching Steve Nash and John Stockton play. They weren't big and they weren't exceptional athletes. I'm not even sure what made them so good. Could FVV fit into their category? Not necessarily as an all-star with that type of career, but as a solid NBA guard.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                    Short point guards can make it in the NBA. My concern is his speed to keep up on defense. While he's generally been a great defender, against good, bigger point guards, he has struggled keeping those guys in front of him.
                    Umm, what? Name one point guard that FVV couldn't keep in front of him.

Several times this year it was Cotton that couldn't physically keep in front of an athletic player, and FVV switched onto them and shut them down. I can't remember the last time I saw FVV struggle to keep ANYONE in front of him. He ate Yogi Ferrell alive in the tournament.
                    Originally posted by BleacherReport
                    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                      Umm, what? Name one point guard that FVV couldn't keep in front of him.

Several times this year it was Cotton that couldn't physically keep in front of an athletic player, and FVV switched onto them and shut them down. I've never seen FVV struggle to keep ANYONE in front of him.
                      Particularly point guards. Fred obviously knows how they think. Tekele did not fare well against Yogi Ferrell from Indiana. Once Fred started guarding Yogi, Yogi was not as successful.
                      78-65

Comment

Cotton was a great denial defender, one of the best I've ever seen. FVV is a great on ball defender.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Jackson with ND. Gibbs with Seton Hall. Harrison's with Kentucky, and there's debate if they'll be drafted. I love Fred's game, I love his smarts, and I think he can play in the NBA, but he has a big uphill battle to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
                            HAHA better than patty mills, Have you seen patty mills play? Have you seen him shoot? Patty mills is averaging 12 PPG in the playoffs right now. Fred may end up being a great NBA player but to say he is better right now isn't even close to the truth.
                            Yes I have. I'll leave out the games I watch on TV since all ~100 per year are televised down here, but I think I've seen Patty play in person a few dozen times in his career with the Spurs. What about you?

A common misconception that a lot of people have about the Spurs is that they discount the value of the system so much that they don't realize how much it does to provide jobs to team/system players that really wouldn't have a spot in the league otherwise. I see the same dynamic as Wichita State - players that leverage off each other and sacrifice individual stats to create far more success than they would have individually or at other programs.

I've been extremely fortunate to be in San Antonio for more than 20 years and witness all of the Pop/Duncan run, with a significant amount of it in person from business and personal connections. They are just a special program and team, and ever since they rode Rodman's cross-dressing butt out of town on a rail they've really focused on having top-notch PEOPLE that are also great basketball players. I love Patty Mills and was just telling people a few weeks ago how he was the main catalyst on the bench to really bring some passion to the team effort.

I also understand how some people disproportionately value the 3, and that the Spurs system is intentionally geared to generate reversals and kicks that open 3s for great shooters that may not bring a whole lot else to the table. In my opinion, Patty and Matt Bonner are two of those players. There's a reason that the Spurs shooting coach Chip England gets a ring every time they win it.

I'll wrap up my too-long post. From my firsthand observations, Fred is a better athlete, significantly stronger, with better defensive lateral quickness, better court vision, more handle, way more juke, and can get to the rim better than Patty. Right now, right here, today. And I think he's more of a leader.

Mills is probably the better shooter, and almost certainly is from NBA range, but I'm talking about a point guard. If you asked me if the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 Shockers win more games with FVV or PM at point, I take Fred six days a week and twice on Sunday.

Just my opinion.

And I echo the sentiment of a previous poster who said that they didn't know whether Fred would have a long career in the league, but they wouldn't bet against him. I hope he has another season that pushes his draft stock up into a range where the Spurs work him out and realize how well he would fit into the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                              Yes I have. I'll leave out the games I watch on TV since all ~100 per year are televised down here, but I think I've seen Patty play in person a few dozen times in his career with the Spurs. What about you?

A common misconception that a lot of people have about the Spurs is that they discount the value of the system so much that they don't realize how much it does to provide jobs to team/system players that really wouldn't have a spot in the league otherwise. I see the same dynamic as Wichita State - players that leverage off each other and sacrifice individual stats to create far more success than they would have individually or at other programs.

I've been extremely fortunate to be in San Antonio for more than 20 years and witness all of the Pop/Duncan run, with a significant amount of it in person from business and personal connections. They are just a special program and team, and ever since they rode Rodman's cross-dressing butt out of town on a rail they've really focused on having top-notch PEOPLE that are also great basketball players. I love Patty Mills and was just telling people a few weeks ago how he was the main catalyst on the bench to really bring some passion to the team effort.

I also understand how some people disproportionately value the 3, and that the Spurs system is intentionally geared to generate reversals and kicks that open 3s for great shooters that may not bring a whole lot else to the table. In my opinion, Patty and Matt Bonner are two of those players. There's a reason that the Spurs shooting coach Chip England gets a ring every time they win it.

I'll wrap up my too-long post. From my firsthand observations, Fred is a better athlete, significantly stronger, with better defensive lateral quickness, better court vision, more handle, way more juke, and can get to the rim better than Patty. Right now, right here, today. And I think he's more of a leader.

Mills is probably the better shooter, and almost certainly is from NBA range, but I'm talking about a point guard. If you asked me if the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 Shockers win more games with FVV or PM at point, I take Fred six days a week and twice on Sunday.

Just my opinion.

And I echo the sentiment of a previous poster who said that they didn't know whether Fred would have a long career in the league, but they wouldn't bet against him. I hope he has another season that pushes his draft stock up into a range where the Spurs work him out and realize how well he would fit into the system.

If Fred can improve on his long-range 3-pt shooting, his only weakness remaining would be his ability to go one-on-one in last second situations where he needs to create his own shot without being able to drive to the hoop. [Think 35 footer guarded from right 45 degree angle]
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                                I think I may take a FVV that has been in the NBA for several years over current Patty Mills too, but if it is current FVV over current Patty Mills it's just not a contest in my book. The guy has been playing against NBA talent since 2009. If you have a fantasy draft for college athletics and it's all current college players and a six-year NBA veteran, the NBA veteran gets taken first every single time.

It was like someone saying Harden would be a bench warmer on our team. I appreciate that you've seen the Spurs a bunch in person, but you've seen him playing against other NBA players. As foolish as FVV makes most college teams look, Mills would just dominate in college.

Comment

Working...
                                X