No announcement yet.

Why the freshman will struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost every player spends his first year trying to grasp the complicated offensive scheme of HCGM. The other is the concept of DEFENSE. Few come into the program with any idea of how its played. MM's high school coach has a reputation for demanding they play defense and TEACHES the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
      we will probably see the two guards (Taylor and Shamet) before seeing McDuffie and Hamilton.
      Why do you say this? I see it completely opposite. With FVV, Baker, Wessel, Brown, and CF all taking up the guard minutes I don't see many minutes left over. Down low we have no clue who's going to play. I'd say shaq is the only one you can really pencil in for a decent amount of minutes. Who knows with Kelley, Bush, and Nurger. I think Mcduffie and Hamilton have an easier path to seeing minutes.

Comment

Well Kelly did lead the freshman in mpg.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Just remember that Cleanthony Early was not ready to start even as a Junior.

And even though he was already getting talked about as an NBA player, that first summer he got here was rough.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Kelly was talked up quite highly but never lived up to the hype his freshmen year...has there been a freshmen come in and dominate/start right off the back in the Marshall era?

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
              Why do you say this? I see it completely opposite. With FVV, Baker, Wessel, Brown, and CF all taking up the guard minutes I don't see many minutes left over. Down low we have no clue who's going to play. I'd say shaq is the only one you can really pencil in for a decent amount of minutes. Who knows with Kelley, Bush, and Nurger. I think Mcduffie and Hamilton have an easier path to seeing minutes.
              IDK...I just think Kelly as a sophomore will be a bit more developed as with ShaQ and Brown than McDuffie and Hamilton. Would LOVE to be wrong on that but I'd like to think Gregg would want to groom Taylor and Shamet so they can learn from FVV and Baker and not be so WIDE-EYED as Sophomores the following year. It would suck to go into the 2016-2017 season with unseasoned guards. I suppose that's just my selfish "wish". I just don't wanna struggle the following year after FVV and Baker graduate.

It would be just oh-so-awesome to not miss a beat moving on without Fred and Ron. Need AWESOME guard play!!!!!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                Kelly was talked up quite highly but never lived up to the hype his freshmen year...has there been a freshmen come in and dominate/start right off the back in the Marshall era?
                Toure was pretty good as a Freshman, but he had to be.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                  The game was ever so slightly too fast for Kelly this past year. I think this year he will catch up to the speed. The athleticism, quickness, and explosiveness is there. The post up moves and one dribble drives are there.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                    IDK...I just think Kelly as a sophomore will be a bit more developed as with ShaQ and Brown than McDuffie and Hamilton. Would LOVE to be wrong on that but I'd like to think Gregg would want to groom Taylor and Shamet so they can learn from FVV and Baker and not be so WIDE-EYED as Sophomores the following year. It would suck to go into the 2016-2017 season with unseasoned guards. I suppose that's just my selfish "wish". I just don't wanna struggle the following year after FVV and Baker graduate.

It would be just oh-so-awesome to not miss a beat moving on without Fred and Ron. Need AWESOME guard play!!!!!
                    And everyone thought we would take a big step back after all our guards graduated after the loss to VCU in the tourney.
                    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Taylor is a PG, recruited as a PG. He played PG in high scbool and at Hargrave. He describes himself as a scoring PG. He does say he can be a combo guard, but has been primarily a PG for the past several years.
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        Not properly hydrating before games.
                        loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                          Taylor is a PG, recruited as a PG. He played PG in high scbool and at Hargrave. He describes himself as a scoring PG. He does say he can be a combo guard, but has been primarily a PG for the past several years.
                          Hannah and Ragland were pretty good scoring point guards. I have a feeling Taylor is notch above these guys.

Comment

Turgeon and Warren were out in Chicago this weekend looking at a new 2015 combo guard in Tyrone Taylor.

In this article, Taylor is considered as a score first combo guard looking to improve his passing skills and defense. That's what I would call his weaknesses. He's quick enough to be an elite defender, but hasn't yet learned defense. He's got PG skills, but isn't a great passer.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Here's an in depth MVC recruiting rundown.

Taylor is considered the best defender and athlete, but needs to work on his guard skills.
                              Markis is considered the best player with the best potential.
                              Shamet is considered the best scorer.
                              Hamilton is considered raw (to paraphrase).
                              Livin the dream

Comment

The following are my opinions. Grain of salt and all that...

I will be interested to see if Fred pushes Gm to get Taylor meaningful minutes the way Malcolm did when he was a freshman.

Not sure how you could question the athleticism of shamet after the dunk contest video. Wow... I really have no idea on his shooting ability.

Mcduffie is plenty big enough to play the 4 in the valley. While that's not our mission, it is a large part of the season and can get him a lot of development minutes toward the future.

Hamilton seems to be the most like cle as far as skill set. He has the potential to be deadly in the pick and pop offense as well as transition. Time will tell however whether he can make the adjustment to d1 or whether he is another Anacreon.

From top to bottom this very well could be gms best recruiting class so far. You've got to remember that the only 4* we've brought in (that got to play) previously played a lot of minutes and was integral on the final four team as a freshman.

It is interesting to me that so many on here don't think the incoming freshmen will contribute in the post, yet are so sure that some recruit out there has the potential to take this team to another level next year. The fact is, under Marshall, no first year big has ever made a significant, immediate impact.

Comment

Working...
                                X