Why the freshman will struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the freshman will struggle

A lot of talk about how talented the incoming freshman are already, and rightfully so, but as we see most years, freshman don't usually make an immediate and consistent impact. Here's my thoughts on what might hold them back:

None of them know the system (though Hamilton has a little insight) and all of them are on the slender side. There are no overly obvious holes to fill on the roster where the incoming player are obviously more talented.

Taylor: more of a combo guard, but recruited to play PG. He's got to learn the most difficult position and play exceptionally well to spell Fred. He's a clutch shooter, but it's unlikely he will have the ball in his hands with the game on the line. Handles and passing are just average.

Shamet: good, not great shooter. Good, not great athlete. Defense is not yet at this level. Overall probably the most ready to contribute.

McDuffie: too skinny to play the 4 and not quite a guard yet (though he's close). He doesn't have a killer instinct and will likely be a bit passive to be effective.

Hamilton: he's raw. Post moves are questionable. Shooting is streaky. Handles well for a 6-8+ power forward, not so much for a wing. Defense is so-so.
    Livin the dream

Time will tell

Comment

Kids arent even on campus yet, people trying to say they cant play right away. Not saying any of them are going to play 30+ minutes, but I do think they will contribute, at least in my mind Mcduffie will right away and also think Hamilton had provide some big man minutes. Taylor and Shamet probable wont get much time due to being behind AA's.
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

#1 reason: they are freshmen.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Once this recruiting Class is sign, sealed, and delivered, could it prove to be our best overall group ever in the Marshall regime long-term? Even so, as a Freshman, FVV was patient but got his chance at the Dance that Season. Baker suffered injuries his first Season but came on strong at the Dance his Freshman Season. We will have a squad where we can bring on this new group at a healthy pace. With this group of Freshmen, we also added Frankamp, and maybe another Juco or two before the end of April?

We will have a very deep squad with quality players, even better than last Season IMO in terms of quality depth. Thus, the Freshmen are a very talented group coming in and some are top 100 type players. Taylor may just be way better than some expect and he was not listed as a top 100 player. Hamilton may need a Season or more to get on the floor much but will get his chance. Hope to see them all in action this summer which will add perspective to what my opinions are now. Come March next year, who among these new players already signed or going to be signed will be helping our winning cause? Dunno, but stayed tuned and we will figure it all out.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Not properly hydrating before games.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
              Kids arent even on campus yet, people trying to say they cant play right away.
              I hope that's not what you took away from my post. I'm as high on these guys as most everybody else, but all the talk thus far has been about their strengths. I wanted to talk a little about what they need to improve on as well. The thread may come off as negative, but I'm hopeful that others can add to the evaluation, both positive and negative.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by newshock
                at least in my mind Mcduffie will right away
                I'm interested to know why so many think MM will contribute right away.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Average minutes and team record for true freshman under Marshall:

Aaron Ellis - 14, 11-20
                  Toure Murry - 28, 17-17
                  Garrett Stutz - 13, 17-17
                  David Kyles - 10, 17-17
                  Demetric Williams - 12, 25-10
                  Kenny Manigault - 7 (16 games played) 25-10
                  Tekele Cotton - 10, 27-6
                  Jake White - 7 (21 games played), 27-6
                  Evan Wessel - 8 (13 games played), 27-6
                  Fred VanVleet - 16, 30-9
                  Rashard Kelly - 14, 30-5
                  Zach Brown - 11, 30-5
                  Rauno Nurger - 9 (only 24 games), 30-5
                  Corey Henderson - 7, 30-5

Only 2 players have played more than 15 minutes, and only one more than 16. 8 minutes seems to be the cutoff between those that stay and those that leave. The good news for next years sophomores (including Morris) is that all of those that stayed were eventual starters, and most have been MVC All-Conference at some point (Ellis, Williams, and Wessel are the exception).

I'd expect that we will get 8-15 minutes from our newbies next year.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                    I'm interested to know why so many think MM will contribute right away.
                    That's a good question. Of all the recruits, I'm most excited about Markis, but the reason he's so special is his potential, not his current dominance. A RS year to allow him to grow into his body (could he really reach 6-10?) and get his weight up over 210 would be ideal. A year to learn to play angry would serve him well. Kelly and Hamilton at the 4 and Wessel and Brown at the three means he HAS to be good immediately or risk mop-up duty. For a guy that has a possible NBA future, would the Ron Baker RS year be a terrible idea? Not if we bring in a JUCO big and/or Eric is ready to play.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                      Once this recruiting Class is sign, sealed, and delivered, could it prove to be our best overall group ever in the Marshall regime long-term? Even so, as a Freshman, FVV was patient but got his chance at the Dance that Season. Baker suffered injuries his first Season but came on strong at the Dance his Freshman Season. We will have a squad where we can bring on this new group at a healthy pace. With this group of Freshmen, we also added Frankamp, and maybe another Juco or two before the end of April?

We will have a very deep squad with quality players, even better than last Season IMO in terms of quality depth. Thus, the Freshmen are a very talented group coming in and some are top 100 type players. Taylor may just be way better than some expect and he was not listed as a top 100 player. Hamilton may need a Season or more to get on the floor much but will get his chance. Hope to see them all in action this summer which will add perspective to what my opinions are now. Come March next year, who among these new players already signed or going to be signed will be helping our winning cause? Dunno, but stayed tuned and we will figure it all out.
                      Haven't they all signed LOI? I guess the "sealed" would be the faxing of the LOI to WSU. The "delivered" will be their actual approved enrollment, I think. Since there has been no discussion about academic obstacles, I am hopeful this is automatic.

Is there something that you doubt when you say this?
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                        Haven't they all signed LOI? I guess the "sealed" would be the faxing of the LOI to WSU. The "delivered" will be their actual approved enrollment, I think. Since there has been no discussion about academic obstacles, I am hopeful this is automatic.

Is there something that you doubt when you say this?
                        No, not at all. It's all good. However, we are still considering a player or two more which would complete an already impressive class of recruits. Sorry I was not more explicit in my post.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

If McDuffie plays his natural position, he will play the 3.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            If McDuffie plays his natural position, he will play the 3.
                            Yep, and he's probably a year away from making a significant game time contribution there.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

I honestly don't see any of the Freshmen getting much playing time. Not that they are not skilled...it's just simply that they are Freshmen. Mop-up duty fer sure and in blow-outs...we will probably see the two guards (Taylor and Shamet) before seeing McDuffie and Hamilton.
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X