The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
    And another thing: Bama fan needs to realize that they just effed up. They could offer him ten million a year now and he'd turn it down because of that leak. If there's one thing Coach hates, it's somebody effing with his team while the season is still going. Ask UCLA how that tactic worked out for them.
    ^This.

UCLA lit fire to whatever bridge they may have had pulling the same stunt.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
      I'm constantly hearing the Koch Bros. being mentioned as to why GM is staying at WSU. Someone help me out here, I'm under the belief that Koch is responsible for having donating funds to improve facilities, but I did not think he has provided money solely devoted to GM's salary. Correct?
      I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it is essentially impossible to find out the specifics of booster contributions as it relates to 3G's salary package, much less those coming from one of the most secretive and wealthy people on the planet.

Wild guess...

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

The Missouri job last year was reported as up to $3.2M if he wanted it. The $3.2M ceiling was due to the fact that Pinkel earns that figure, and the MU admin didn't want to stir up an in-house PR fiasco. He earns $1.75M here with up to around $750K of incentives. He'll be well over $2M after he goes home for the last time this season.
        Exactly my point! No one with HCGM's talent needs to have football "be ok" with what's going on in the basketball program!

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
          I'm trying to figure out why this is getting so much press, especially right now. Marshall's agent is even addressing the vacancy and "considering" bringing it to Marshall right now. I don't think Bama is a legitimate possibility but the timing and the press seems strange. Hopefully it's just foreplay for Sexton to announce a $2.5 million lifetime contract with a raise every year.
          where did this agent talk come from? This is starting to play as a preemptive strike to raise HCGM's compensation package...the only reason I see for it being mentioned by an agent.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
            where did this agent talk come from? This is starting to play as a preemptive strike to raise HCGM's compensation package...the only reason I see for it being mentioned by an agent.
            http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/gregg_marshalls_agent_to_begin.html

Comment

• I'm sorry I'm so salty about this but it just pisses me off when a school thinks they can go all Ted DiBiase on our coaches just because they play CTE-ball and we don't. It's a lack of respect, no matter how kindly they phrase it.

And, pardon me, but by being the second-best program in the SEC is even worse than being the second-best program in the Big Ex Eye Eye. Why would Marshall suddenly want to become pre-Maryland Mark Turgeon?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                Marshall needs to look no further than the previous coach at Alabama on how things can go. Anthony Grant had built up a solid program at VCU and was the top dog there. Several years later, he is now jobless and has nothing to show for himself at a mediocre basketball program in Tuscaloosa. Sure he may have a few extra benjamins in his pocket, but I think Gregg is on record saying it's not always about the benjamins and there's plenty of hamburgers he can buy in Wichita with what he makes. And he's going to be able to buy a few more after this year ends.

Don't mess with happy.
                I think you should look at what Grant did in 6 years at Bama, nothing. The program is in no better shape than it was under Gottfried. I was a huge Grant supporter but after this year, I lost my faith in him. I'll point to one game that you should be familiar with, our game in Wichita. Our boys played lights out and deserved to win that game. Grant herped and derped the last 3 min. I give credit to your team for pulling out the victory but, Grant has done this multiple times in 6 years. You should go look at AGs record away from home and his record against top30 teams. It is not good.

Comment

• Does anyone think Marshall is willing to risk not playing in the tournament for a couple of years while he rebuilds? I dont care how much money he's making. He wants to play games in the tourney more.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• There are three things Marshall looks at when considering a job. In no particular order:

Will I be loved and adored by the admin and community?

Is it right for my family?

Can I win 1 or more national championships?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• I'd like to say, I didn't come here to ruffle feathers. I came here for some genuine basketball discussion. That is all. If you don't want me here, say the word and I'll leave you be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alabamafan View Post
                        I'd like to say, I didn't come here to ruffle feathers. I came here for some genuine basketball discussion. That is all. If you don't want me here, say the word and I'll leave you be.
                        I have heard that Alabama's attendance figures are a bit skewed because a lot of the bought and paid for tickets go unused by season ticket holders who are just looking to get more points so they can get better tickets for football games. True?
                        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                          I'm constantly hearing the Koch Bros. being mentioned as to why GM is staying at WSU. Someone help me out here, I'm under the belief that Koch is responsible for having donating funds to improve facilities, but I did not think he has provided money solely devoted to GM's salary. Correct?
                          Wichita State has a special fund called the Men's Basketball Coach's Club where substantial donor's make significant contributions. I think this is primarily a somewhat exclusive Club marketed to the more well-healed supporters (like $25,000 and up).

You can see a number of contributors to this fund in 2012-13 here: http://foundation.wichita.edu/horizo...ift-highlights and http://foundation.wichita.edu/horizo...ift-highlights

I don't really know how much they raise with this effort on an annual basis but it has been no doubt critical in putting together the enhanced pay packages for Coach Marshall.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 23, 2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Rem HCGM is 52 years old as one ages priorities change also
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                              I have heard that Alabama's attendance figures are a bit skewed because a lot of the bought and paid for tickets go unused by season ticket holders who are just looking to get more points so they can get better tickets for football games. True?

That has been true in the past. I think the AD has seen the light and is ready to make the necessary changes to bring the crowds back to Coleman Coliseum.

As a side note. Grant was never really embraced by the fan base because he was an off the radar type guy. He never promoted the program and I know several people that never saw him outside of the arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                                http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/gregg_marshalls_agent_to_begin.html
                                Thanks for the link. Interesting to read the comments after the article; some of the expected "why wouldn't ANYONE, including God, come here?" mixed in with, "This ain't Marshall's kinda gig." My favorite is how it was escalated from "his agent has heard the rumblings" to "he's creating a presentation." LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X