The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GO_SHOCKERS View Post
    Flight left at 6:16pm. That is why there was no coach's show. Marshall saw him off at the airport like the classy man he is. That's my guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Does anybody find this old quote as ironically twisted as I do:

http://a.espncdn.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1485118.html
      I found boatright quote interesting

Remember, Alabama is and always will be a football school.

"No one really pays attention until the bowls are over, and we're not even in one," said Alabama's Darron Boatright, the basketball team's director of basketball operations. "But that's not just at Alabama, that's the whole South, except for Kentucky."

I also found this funny, especially as the tide has rolled in to our forum lately telling how they are just a great coach away from great things.

But the Tide basketball family knows their place in Tuscaloosa. The football team pays the budget and that's not going to change. Any news on the coaching staff or even player personnel might be taken more seriously than Alabama surging to the top of at least one poll.

The Tide can't even get over 7,000 fans on a regular basis at Coleman Coliseum (15, 316). They do expect a sellout for Saturday's game against Xavier, but that's probably only because the Musketeers were ranked and the last of 28 bowl games will be final.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Does anybody find this old quote as ironically twisted as I do:

http://a.espncdn.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1485118.html
        Yes, I do... when was this?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          As a season ticket holder I would gladly fork over $100 to keep Gregg. Now if that happens year after year there would come a point where I couldn't afford it and I would be fine with surrendering my tickets for someone who can pay the man. It all comes down to how bad do you want a top flight program? Because I am not in the camp that thinks we'll simply be able to maintain the status quo with another coach.
          I know it happens to me with the Trailblazers and I suspect will happen to those of you who have Royals season tickets... prices go up as the product improves. It justifies keeping the pieces in place that keep the product good. Sure, some may get priced out, but if the product is good enough, most will find a way. There are a myriad of ways to do this; discount for # of years a STH, etc. But, it WILL happen if you want to keep the team relevant (Marshall or not). If not, you can always go back to cheap seats for Scott Thompson ball. (Ugh. Did I say that?)

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            You have kind of went off the deep end here.

I think the raising ticket price example was being shown that WSU could raise and pay very good money, I don't think it was Sexton running a trial balloon up. I'm sure if WSU did try to keep Marshall with a hefty pay raise, they would probably do some combination of donor and ticket price increase. And most likely the ticket price increase would be based on where the seats were at.
            Or maybe you peeked over the deep end and fell in.

Hurley, and I think one other poster, cited $100 per ticket increase would raise somewhere around 1M, which would be the number. I simply said it isn't my and other season ticket holders task to TOTALLY fund the project. I stand behind that. When you and others read the word TOTALLY, it should elicit thinking I'm in for less than TOTALLY, meaning less than 100%. Hopefully this clears up my non-fandom attitude.

Comment

• Athletic Departments are more and more having multiple revenue streams. If the pay for Marshall and his assistants jumps up as additional appreciation, I do anticipate that the majority of this hits ticket holders. But remember merchandise sales, sponsorship revenues, private donations, additional marketing plug ins funnel in money back to the department, TV revenues, special appearances, write another book, conference share from NCAA tourney appearances. Overall the winning and brand building should equate to more revenue from all sources.

Comment

• The Bama guy getting on the plane.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                  I think Gregg leaves for Bama with a $4M offer, for what my opinion is worth -- which is probably valued at two Taco Shop quesadillas...
                  Taco Shop, one more reason to stay in Wichita.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                    Or maybe you peeked over the deep end and fell in.
                    More than likely it means Feves push me in.:cowbell:

Comment

• If you price out those 6,500 to 7,000 fans who kept the program going throughout the 90's, how many will come back when/if tickets come back down in price when the product no longer demands high prices? A couple of years ago, when my SASO donation went up (along with others in basically 4 rows), I was told there was a list of people wanting my tickets. I reminded them that when the next losing season came along, they'd be calling me asking if I'd like to purchase tickets again. It's dangerous playing the game sometimes if you are looking long-term. But, maybe the long-term is measured in 5-10 yr increments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                        He doesn't look too happy

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          The MILLION dollar question is defining fair.
                          God set the rate at 10% for a long time.

That sounds fair.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                            He doesn't look too happy
                            That's what I thought --doesn't look like a guy who just closed a big sale.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                              I wholeheartedly agree, Shaka at VCU is already getting 4 and 5 star guys for the past several years and I've always wondered why can't we. They've pretty much experienced the same success as we have so there's no advantage there. I came to the conclusion that VCU simply has a geographic advantage over us. The east coast is saturated with basketball talent and all the major cities are so close to each other. Perhaps conference affiliation plays a small role too.

I believe GM may experience a slight challenge to get kids to think about Wichita, KS and relocating so far from their friends and family. But this just solidifies the amazing coaching job he's done here.
                              If you ask a big chunk of fans on this board, they aren't interested in 4 and 5 star guys. They like recruiting 0-3 stars and hope they pan out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                If you ask a big chunk of fans on this board, they aren't interested in 4 and 5 star guys. They like recruiting 0-3 stars and hope they pan out.
                                Well we certainly saw some 4 and 5 star guys playing for KU that we wouldn't be interested in!
                                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
                                X