No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems to me any school that is willing to consistently commit resources and has competent management can produce a good program. I would think Alabama would qualify. Once a winner is on the floor the fans will follow. The fact that basketball games are on weeknights an hour drive from Birmingham would limit the number of fans available for many games that weren't already on campus.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuscaloosa View Post
      :eagerness:

It kinda works that way. There's a waiting list that's about 15 years long for football season tickets. Those that already have season tickets are allowed to move into better seats as they accrue "points" - which are awarded in part based on season tickets purchased in other sports. Those who are on the football waiting list move up the list with season ticket purchases in other sports.
      That could be the source of the down attendance, a bunch of football fans locking in their Athletic Department points with no intention of using the basketball tickets. At least that's how I take it.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Tuscaloosa, first of all, you seem like a level-headed person, so we do appreciate your input. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) with the garbage we hear from opposing fans who come to our board. So you've got that going for you, which is nice.

Serious question, you obviously don't have numbers for this, so give me a ballpark idea on this. How many season ticket people for 'Bama basketball buy their basketball tickets because they really, really care about the product...and how many buy to help them accrue priority points for football? I have always wondered that dynamic for some of the major programs with big-time football.
        That's a fair question, too. I think it's tough to put a number on. I think a lot of fans genuinely want to see a great product on the basketball court and many truly love basketball. The problem is we lose interest quickly if the product sucks. When we're doing well - it's a lot of fun to be a part of. Back around 2003 when we were ranked #1 briefly - Coleman Coliseum was rocking, and packed out every single week.

Going sub-.500 in SEC play doesn't put butts in seats and the butts who are there are already uninterested.

There's no doubt that many people on the basketball waiting list, and even some who attend games regularly only view basketball as a way to move up the football food-chain. But I think there are more fans invested in the well-being of the basketball program than is being presented by the national media and believed by most college basketball fans.

Comment

• Yes, Tuscaloosa, and what happened to that coach (Gottfired)? He was one of your own and he Gottfired a couple of seasons later.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
            Yes, Tuscaloosa, and what happened to that coach (Gottfired)? He was one of your own and he Gottfired a couple of seasons later.
            Couldn't keep his pants zipped.

Comment

• So Drifter, you know something about Alabama, care to give us an update on this one?
              TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The daughter of University of Alabama coach Nick Saban told lawyers she was only defending herself from a drunken sorority sister when the two women brawled after a night o…

What happened? Looks like Saban's daughter threw the first punch....why didn't she get arrested?

Edit: Just checked, the judge invoked the 'Stand your Ground' law and threw the suit out in 2014. I guess he didn't want to peeve Saban off so he looked for a justification and found one.

I can't believe that 'Stand Your Ground' would apply to a fistfight. Pretty funny if you ask me.
              Last edited by shocka khan; March 30, 2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• we buy basketball season tickets because we are basketball fans, not for the football tickets that we get. Yes, we get Tide Pride points if we order ticket packages to other sports but these are not that big of a difference as you might think. My family drives over 5 hours every week to see at least 1-2 basketball games per week. If we wanted the TP points then I'd just sale or give away those BB tickets instead of driving 5 hours to Tuscaloosa and spending several hundred dollars on hotel rooms and expenses.

Comment

• I assume these are the same 3 Alabama basketball fans that made up their entire message board earlier this year. No one is saying you don't exist, just that there are not very many of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by blitzkrieg View Post
                    Only because your program was one of the first to start (1912). Take for instance Arkansas, they didn't start a basketball program until 1923. The same thing with many other schools in the SEC.
                    Alabama - 1912
                    Auburn - 1905
                    Arkansas - 1924
                    Florida - 1915
                    Georgia - 1891
                    Kentucky - 1903
                    Ole Miss - 1909
                    LSU - 1909
                    Mississippi State - IDK
                    Missouri - 1906
                    South Carolina - 1908
                    Tennessee - IDK
                    Texas A&M - 1912
                    Vanderbilt - 1900

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Not for nothing, and honestly as much as I care about our program I am not wringing my hands over this at all, but my bs meter is going off HUGELY right now. The ONLY way you have a waiting list is because some bizarre points metric scale on upgrading football preference is skewed based on purchasing basketball tickets. There wasn't a single game on tv this season that didn't feature THOUSANDS of Bama fans disguised as empty seats.

I just reset the bs meter and it immediately started wailing yet again.
                      Have we confirmed that the Alabama AD isn't just here to get an autographed basketball from Gregg Marshall?

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                        Don't want to get unto it. Today at noon, keep your eyes on the news
                        We're holding your feet to the fire on this one. Any updates from your "source"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bama View Post
                          we buy basketball season tickets because we are basketball fans, not for the football tickets that we get. Yes, we get Tide Pride points if we order ticket packages to other sports but these are not that big of a difference as you might think. My family drives over 5 hours every week to see at least 1-2 basketball games per week. If we wanted the TP points then I'd just sale or give away those BB tickets instead of driving 5 hours to Tuscaloosa and spending several hundred dollars on hotel rooms and expenses.
                          Not doubting this describes YOU, but not most of the Bama faithful. Don't take it as an offense that Bama is devoted to football, but don't try to imply that you fan base is as devoted to basketball as ours. That's just not true. AND, I don't think any coach will result in a change in that hierarchy.

Comment

• Does any Bama fan have an explanation for my eyes... I can see.... the arena was half full. I watched Alabama several times this season.. Throw out all the numbers and rah rah of the basketball program you want. That isn't made up.

I don't think WSU got even close to that empty, even in the 90s against no-name teams. Sorry. My biased opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                              So Drifter, you know something about Alabama, care to give us an update on this one?
                              TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The daughter of University of Alabama coach Nick Saban told lawyers she was only defending herself from a drunken sorority sister when the two women brawled after a night o…

What happened? Looks like Saban's daughter threw the first punch....why didn't she get arrested?
                              It's Alabama, they aren't as civilized and lack a "one or both" go to jail.
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                We're holding your feet to the fire on this one. Any updates from your "source"?
                                No. Like insaid. No news is good news i guess. Hopefully they scrapped the piece i was told about. That would be good news. I am not in the office so i dont know any more than what i was told this morning.

Like i said, i hope i was worked up for nothing.

I still stand by what i was shown/told this morning. They just wouldnt go into great detail
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X