No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at that list and seeing that out of the 8 coaches in front of Marshall he's beaten 4 (could have been 5) of them in the last 5 years in the NCAA. Miller/Arizona, Self/Kansas, Dixon/Pittsburg, and Crean/ Indiana. If only that buzzer beater falls against Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I simply don't find it plausible that 3G would turn down Alabama only to take a job at Vanderbilt a year later. 3G never has been a job hopper but right now he is in the best and most financially secure position he has ever been in which allows him to very patiently wait for his dream job to open up (assuming he is not already at his dream job). Does anyone really believe that Vandy is even remotely close to the jobs at the top of 3G's list (again assuming he even has a list)?
      He'll leave for a carolina if he ever leaves... Don't mess with happy

Comment

• Well that's kind of a funky list. I'm pretty sure Pitino is $4 mill+ and Matta is over $3 mill.

Comment

• Sorry. I missed NCAA tourney only.

Comment

• Turgeon's salary isn't quite at this level.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Do you guys think all this talk about HCGM possibly leaving at the end of every season hurts recruiting? I do remember reading something last year where an Alabama recruit who had been recruited by wsu stated he wasnt surprised marshall didnt go to alabama because marshall told him "i will never leave wsu for another school", have to wonder if thats what he tells all his possible recruits because landry basically said the same thing last year on twitter.
              Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• I don't pretend to know what's in Marshall's mind, but I've always had an impression of him as a teacher and a guy who likes doing things that according to the conventional wisdom can't be done. If that's true, I would expect him to look at next year without Fred and Ron (and Evan, too) not as a rebuilding situation to be avoided but rather as an opportunity to be embraced, as he -- and what he knows to be a very solid returning nucleus, even if the national talking heads don't realize it yet -- can now prepare to shock the world yet again with a team and season better than anyone expects.

Bring it on, 3G and staff, Landry and Markis, Shaq and Conner, and Darryl and others -- Marshall isn't about to walk away from what's coming next.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                  Do you guys think all this talk about HCGM possibly leaving at the end of every season hurts recruiting? I do remember reading something last year where an Alabama recruit who had been recruited by wsu stated he wasnt surprised marshall didnt go to alabama because marshall told him "i will never leave wsu for another school", have to wonder if thats what he tells all his possible recruits because landry basically said the same thing last year on twitter.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if it has hurt recruiting in the past. If Marshall can get another NCAA run in the next few years I think we will have reached a level where nothing about our coach or program can hurt us in recruiting. Other schools have probably said Marshall is gone after he loses Fred and Ron or Wichita State will fade into irrelevancy after Fred and Ron are gone. Another NCAA tournament run and kids will have grown up with Marshall always being at Wichita State and winning no matter what players we have.

Comment

• Why is Georgia Tech so high on that list @SHURTZtheHERTZ? They have had losing records most years ever since Jerrett Jack left in 2005, and only have 2 NCAA appearances, as 10 seeds both times, in the 11 years since. This past year they made the NIT with a ton of seniors. When your peak year with a bunch of seniors only equals 21-15 and the NIT, you aren't a strong program. Pitt goes to the NCAAs almost every year. Why is GT a better program?

Comment

• Its gotten to the point this is extremely entertaining because fans of other schools lock onto the SAME things every year. Vandy fans have moved on to the fact that "No news is good news" and that everything is in order. The longer before Marshall "declines" the better the chance he will be their new coach. No one realizes its rarely acceptable to "decline" a job you haven't been officially offered, it makes the school look back. The only declines you ever see are when schools publicly go after a coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        Its gotten to the point this is extremely entertaining because fans of other schools lock onto the SAME things every year. Vandy fans have moved on to the fact that "No news is good news" and that everything is in order. The longer before Marshall "declines" the better the chance he will be their new coach. No one realizes its rarely acceptable to "decline" a job you haven't been officially offered, it makes the school look back. The only declines you ever see are when schools publicly go after a coach.
                        As far as I can recall, Marshall has publicly declined an opening just a single time, and that was last year with Alabama when there was actually something going on. Otherwise, two to three P5 fan bases do this to themselves every year for about the past five or six seasons. Like clockwork, it is the same stages each time, very similar to the five stages of grief, although obviously the over-riding emotion is different.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          As far as I can recall, Marshall has publicly declined an opening just a single time, and that was last year with Alabama when there was actually something going on. Otherwise, two to three P5 fan bases do this to themselves every year for about the past five or six seasons. Like clockwork, it is the same stages each time, very similar to the five stages of grief, although obviously the over-riding emotion is different.
                          And Alabama was different because they made it very very public that they were going after Marshall until he said no. Then on top of that WSU made an offer, so Marshall actually just accepted WSU's offer and a byproduct of that was declining Alabama's offer.

Comment

• why wouldn't they consider Steve Forbes?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                              Do you guys think all this talk about HCGM possibly leaving at the end of every season hurts recruiting? I do remember reading something last year where an Alabama recruit who had been recruited by wsu stated he wasnt surprised marshall didnt go to alabama because marshall told him "i will never leave wsu for another school", have to wonder if thats what he tells all his possible recruits because landry basically said the same thing last year on twitter.
                              It is not what Marshall is saying about it so much as I am sure other coaching staffs play it up when talking with common recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by thunderkwb View Post
                                why wouldn't they consider Steve Forbes?
                                Because they are seriously too busy debating the merits of Marshall, Buzz Williams, Calhoun, Boyle, Crean, Bennett, and such for the vacancy, in the inevitable position that a majority of those guys accepts the job simultaneously for less money than each currently makes. At least this is what their forums are running with.

Oh... and "no news is good news" with all of the above list.

This coming from a school with less MBB history and tradition than ourselves, with an athletic department financially supported in the bottom 10th percentile of P5's.

Comment

Working...
                                X