The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tcstephenson View Post
    There's one name bigger than Marshall who's been floated and I don't really buy it. More than likely they'll end up with somebody like Keatts from UNCW, who is not a bad hire at all but the fan base will claim they settled.
    Here would be my short list:

Bryce Drew
    James Jones
    LeVelle Moton

Comment

• "Where Does Vanderbilt's Coaching Search Stand?" - SB* Nation

...say's Vanderbilt, will pay whatever it takes to get Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Here would be my short list:

Bryce Drew
        James Jones
        LeVelle Moton
        Drew seems dead-set on Georgia Tech from what I'm hearing, Jones would be a tough sell for the fan base. I honestly don't know enough about Moton to have an informed opinion about him but at that level you're getting to a school that literally can't do anything about it if a P5 (or a Wichita State) makes a job offer. (That's the distinction that a lot of P5 fans fail to draw; also that P5 is a relatively meaningless distinction in basketball.)

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          "Where Does Vanderbilt's Coaching Search Stand?" - SB* Nation

I've yet to see anyone officially or unofficially connected to Vanderbilt actually say something about Marshall. There has been ZERO evidence of this, its all rumors started based on a plane coming to Wichita for Maintenance. The "pay whatever it takes" comes from the fan base, not the university. The university has not said that or even hinted at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
            "Where Does Vanderbilt's Coaching Search Stand?" - SB* Nation

FYI...

That article has already been posted in the "that time of the year" thread, and its author has joined and has been posting there.

Comment

• P5 is only a meaningless distinction if you're part of them or the other non "mid-majors."

Seriously, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Vandy, Syracuse, and probably several other schools I'm forgetting about wouldn't have been in the tournament this year were it not for that P5 distinction.
              Last edited by ShockdaWorld; March 30, 2016, 04:20 PM.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• What most schools miss when hiring is that a coach that does well at one school may or may not equal that success at another. GM understands that. If you look at WSU's history we never tried to buy success. Whether its 3G, Turg, Fogler etc we always look for someone who matches WSU's goals. I for one think for a school of our size we have been pretty successful through the years. If 3G should ever leave, WSU will again search for a coach that can build or continue a successful program and again other schools will try to take the easy route and try to buy that coach thinking that this is how a successful program is obtainened. What I would tell Vandy is get a young coach who is good at x's and o's and one that wants to build his own success at Vandy.
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by tcstephenson View Post
                  Drew seems dead-set on Georgia Tech from what I'm hearing, Jones would be a tough sell for the fan base. I honestly don't know enough about Moton to have an informed opinion about him but at that level you're getting to a school that literally can't do anything about it if a P5 (or a Wichita State) makes a job offer. (That's the distinction that a lot of P5 fans fail to draw; also that P5 is a relatively meaningless distinction in basketball.)
                  Vandy is a way better job than Ga Tech and has infinite times more potential to achieve quicker success.

To each his own.

Another interesting candidate may be Davidsons coach but he is a bit old
                  Last edited by shoxlax; March 30, 2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                    P5 is only a meaningless distinction if you're part of them or the other non "mid-majors."

Seriously, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Vandy, Syracuse, and probably several other schools I'm forgetting about wouldn't have been in the tournament this year were it not for that P5 distinction.
                    there are artificial barriers to the mid-majors in basketball but far fewer than in football. The football version of your 2014 team probably doesn't even get in the playoff because non-P5.

Comment

Vandy is a way better job than Ga Tech and has infinite times more potential to achieve quicker success.

To each his own.

He's happy there, he would have left after steph Curry if he was leaving

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                        What most schools miss when hiring is that a coach that does well at one school may or may not equal that success at another. GM understands that. If you look at WSU's history we never tried to buy success. Whether its 3G, Turg, Fogler etc we always look for someone who matches WSU's goals. I for one think for a school of our size we have been pretty successful through the years. If 3G should ever leave, WSU will again search for a coach that can build or continue a successful program and again other schools will try to take the easy route and try to buy that coach thinking that this is how a successful program is obtainened. What I would tell Vandy is get a young coach who is good at x's and o's and one that wants to build his own success at Vandy.
                        this is actually a very good plan and one that I think they should follow, except a lot of P5 AD's care far more about hiring someone the fans have heard of than they do about finding a good coach.

In fact this phenomenon is why Vanderbilt currently is looking for a new coach, because I have no other explanation for why Pitt hired our coach.

Comment

To each his own.

I heard something about Drew's wife being an ex-Atlanta Hawks cheerleader or something, I don't know. Vanderbilt's a better situation right now, to be sure, but Ga. Tech has historically been better (GT has actually been to a Final Four, for one.)

Comment

• I simply don't find it plausible that 3G would turn down Alabama only to take a job at Vanderbilt a year later. 3G never has been a job hopper but right now he is in the best and most financially secure position he has ever been in which allows him to very patiently wait for his dream job to open up (assuming he is not already at his dream job). Does anyone really believe that Vandy is even remotely close to the jobs at the top of 3G's list (again assuming he even has a list)?

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                              He's happy there, he would have left after steph Curry if he was leaving
                              Agreed. He is a lifer.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Currently: WSU > GT > Pitt > Vandy > TCU

Carry on.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X