No announcement yet.

Boeheim whacked HARD....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mostly agree, but they need a post-season ban not of Syracuse's choosing. Self-banning n January or February when it is clear you will not be in the postseason anyway is weak sauce.
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Yes, a bit of 'old homer' in me, but the UNC situation is a bit more complicated. Most of the 'facts' that have been spread, came about via a fake paper Willingham put out. The NCAA hasn't even served a NOA yet. This class/major was open to all students, so it's not strictly a case where the athletes got some perk that were not available to anyone else on campus. It's an academic scandal, more than an athletic one. The football team seemed to benefit the most... My guess is this summer, the NCAA will finally kick things in to high gear. Just make sure you actually read up on the UNC issue before damning them with a death penalty... that scandal effected more than just athletes. I think they will get slapped, I just don't know (as of right now) that it will elevate to a massive hammer coming down.
      Some 'biased' links :-)

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
        Yes, a bit of 'old homer' in me, but the UNC situation is a bit more complicated. Most of the 'facts' that have been spread, came about via a fake paper Willingham put out. The NCAA hasn't even served a NOA yet. This class/major was open to all students, so it's not strictly a case where the athletes got some perk that were not available to anyone else on campus. It's an academic scandal, more than an athletic one. The football team seemed to benefit the most... My guess is this summer, the NCAA will finally kick things in to high gear. Just make sure you actually read up on the UNC issue before damning them with a death penalty... that scandal effected more than just athletes. I think they will get slapped, I just don't know (as of right now) that it will elevate to a massive hammer coming down.
        http://coachingthemind.blogspot.com/
        They may have be open to all students but they were they not created primarily with benefitting student athletes? And the beneficiaries of those classes were disproportionately student athletes:

Student-athletes accounted for a disproportionately high percentage of enrollments in the AFAM paper classes. Of the identifiable enrollments in the lecture paper classes, 47.4% were student-athletes, even though student-athletes make up just over 4% of the Chapel Hill undergraduate student body. Of those student-athlete enrollments, 50.9% were football players, 12.2% were men's basketball players, 6.1% were women's basketball players, and 30.6% were Olympic and other sport athletes.
        We knew that UNC's Department of African and Afro-American Studies offered sham classes. After the release of today's independent investigation we now know it went on for nearly two decades, and involved thousands of students—nearly half of them athletes.

This scandal had much more than a little to do with athletics at UNC. Opening the classes to all students was obviously a requirement to keep the lid on this scandal for 20 years.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 7, 2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
          No, the deal was a game with them once only at their barn. After sending 22,000 fans home disappointed and lining our own Program's pockets, we consider that a win-win and su---weeeet return on investment.
          Thanks for the clarification/correction. And you are absolutely correct su---weeeet!
          Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
            http://coachingthemind.blogspot.com/
            They may have been open to all students, but when the athletic department was specifically directly people to take those classes, and they were heavily made up of athletes, it's absolutely an athletic issue as well.

As an FSU alum, the cheating scandal FSU was hit with wasn't exclusive to athletes either, yet we were hit hard for a two-year scandal that involved 61 athletes. We lost national championships, Bowden was stripped of his position as the all-time D1 wins leader, we lost two entire seasons of wins in many sports, we were given four years of probation, we lost scholarships, etc., etc., etc. The only difference I see between FSU's and UNC's is that UNC's lasted for nearly two decades and involved hundreds/thousands of athletes.

NCAA comments on FSU's scandal at the time:

“Academic fraud is among the most egregious of N.C.A.A. violations,” the report said. “The committee was concerned with the large number of student-athletes involved in the fraud and especially by the fact that individuals within the institution’s A.A.S.S. unit were involved. The committee was further troubled by the fact that there were warning signs indicating that academic improprieties were taking place, but these warning signs were, for the most part, ignored.”
            The only difference I see here, beyond the vastly bigger scope of UNC's fraud over FSU's, is that FSU self-reported. UNC never did, and it appears clear that people who did know about it merely ignored it or, in the case of Roy, directed their players not to participate in it without reporting it.

The UNC scandal is FSU's twenty times over, and the punishment they receive should be proportionate to past punishments. Based on my knowledge of FSU's punishment, UNC has to vacate wins from every single season in every single sport that a player who participated in the fraud played in. They have to vacate every national championship that a player cheating participated in. They have to strip the wins from every coach who had a player participating in this fraud. They have to go on a probation that lasts twice the length of the actual cheating -- roughly 40 years, then. They have to sacrifice significant amounts of scholarships in every sport involved. UNC's punishment should last for the next 40 years. Not because that's fair, but because that's the standard they've set for punishing this activity.

Anything short of that is an atrocious lack of integrity from a governing body that we already know has no integrity, and selectively picks and chooses who they're going to throw the book at.
            Last edited by Rlh04d; March 7, 2015, 12:48 PM.
            Originally posted by BleacherReport
            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
              I've seen some tweets of some of the Syracuse alum, and their tears are delicious. "We were by the book the whole time!" Wow, sir! Why didn't you say so during the MULTI-YEAR INVESTIGATION? You could have changed the entire result!!

By the towel of Tarkanian, it looks like justice may actually be done.
              Out

Damn

Standing.

I will be stealing the "By the towel of Tarkanian" reference.

Comment

When I first saw the thread title I wondered why we cared if Boeheim whacks hard.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  When I first saw the thread title I wondered why we cared if Boeheim whacks hard.
                  yeah, I thought that over for a minute....:)

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                    I mostly agree, but they need a post-season ban not of Syracuse's choosing. Self-banning n January or February when it is clear you will not be in the postseason anyway is weak sauce.

While I agree, that's just not how the system works.

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                      Out

Damn

Standing.

I will be stealing the "By the towel of Tarkanian" reference.
                      Attached Files
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                      X