No announcement yet.

Storming the court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CKA was intelligently designed during the renovation. It is very difficult to storm the court at CKA. It's possible to get onto the court single file at a few entrances, which can easily be covered by security. It's pretty much impossible for a mass of humanity to surge onto the floor.

KSU's excuse, "we couldn't get security in place in time" isn't an excuse; it's an admission they are unable to provide adequate security for players, coaches, or officials.

When it's possible for fans to "bump" opposing players, some adrenalin-charged player is going to come unglued after a tough loss. That's like poking a wounded bear with a stick.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
      I don't know how many times people have to reiterate it before people stop talking about it, but it is a W. If you think it's vulgar, it's because you're attaching the vulgarity to it. If it's someone who isn't aware of our "W" a simple explanation gets rid of it. Tell them to get their minds out of the gutter and move on. If they still have a problem, get vulgar with them, and extend your W and pull in your thumb, pinky & index fingers.
      Well, my friend who is basically a lifelong fan and attended games growing up in the 90s, was arguing with me last night that even with the thumb difference, he still thinks it's basically the same thing. His mind definitely sometimes needs to get out of the gutter... So... That makes sense. Haha. One of the people I had this conversation with previously was my ex-girlfriend, from Iowa.

I'm sorry for "bringing it up again", but I obviously wasn't here when the initial conversations about it took place. I think I'll just go back to mostly lurking, as the automatic response seems to be to jump on people for things like that.

I'm definitely using that peace sign explanation from now on, though. That's gold.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngineer View Post
        Re: Hand gesture. Exactly my issue with it. We can say just extend the thumb and it's okay, but we just won't be able to educate people from other schools who think it makes us look dumb.
        I don't know how many times people have to reiterate it before people stop talking about it, but it is a W. If you think it's vulgar, it's because you're attaching the vulgarity to it. If it's someone who isn't aware of our "W" a simple explanation gets rid of it. Tell them to get their minds out of the gutter and move on. If they still have a problem, get vulgar with them, and extend your W and pull in your thumb, pinky & index fingers.
        My problem isn't with "other schools" (I don't care) or that the W makes our school look dumb (it doesn't) or because someone is attaching vulgarity to the W sign (they're stupid).

My problem has always been the very few WSU fans/students intentionally using the "vulgar" sign to be cute and make themselves and, more importantly, WSU look dumb.

Comment

What I've been talking about is when people don't extend the thumb. How you see a W based on two fingers together, a space, and then the little finger is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngineer View Post
            I'm sorry for "bringing it up again", but I obviously wasn't here when the initial conversations about it took place. I think I'll just go back to mostly lurking, as the automatic response seems to be to jump on people for things like that.
            Same here - geez I guess I missed the instructions that once one signs up one should read through all the posts that exist beforehand.

Comment

Agree. Only those who know it's "other" meaning will care; they are hardly able to describe us as lower class for our use and meaning. Besides, how does the W compare to rushing the court and literally body slamming players and crushing coaches? If you're that excited, jump up and down in the stands! I was never more proud than when KC did NOT storm the field after any of the "clinching" wins in the post season this past year! You can be loud and vocal and supportive without that kind of behavior!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
                On another note, when my daughter worked security there, their primary goal was to surround the opposing bench and make sure the team was able to safely exit the floor. Maybe things have changed. Too bad. I would be embarrassed if I were a Cat booster.
                When they showed the video from last year they did a much better job as about 12 people all went out at once and got in front of the bench, this year there was only one guy ready to go.

Comment

you mean like this?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Maybe I'm not old and cranky enough yet because I DGAF about court storming and I DGAF about The Shocker, thumb or no thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                      Maybe I'm not old and cranky enough yet because I DGAF about court storming and I DGAF about The Shocker, thumb or no thumb.
                      If it makes you feel any better I'm sure most of us will be dead by the time you're old :)

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzy View Post
                        Same here - geez I guess I missed the instructions that once one signs up one should read through all the posts that exist beforehand.
                        If you're talking the Shocker hand signal made with the fingers, you don't have to read through all the posts. Just read the Posting Guidelines.

"Shocker" hand signal: This topic has been discussed to death and the result is always the same. Any topic is started or turns into discussion of this subject will be closed or deleted. Images that depict it or insinuate it will be removed from any post, avatar, or signature.
                        Of course, there's probably not that many people who read the guidelines.

Comment

Thanks 1979Shocker. That's all someone would have needed to point out earlier to a rookie poster like myself.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            If you're talking the Shocker hand signal made with the fingers, you don't have to read through all the posts. Just read the Posting Guidelines.

Of course, there's probably not that many people who read the guidelines.
                            I was shocked (no pun intended) to actually see that on the posting guidelines. I know I've looked through it once, but that was probably two years ago, now. I was very caught off guard by kai's reaction, because it seemed like he was treating me like Fever and JH4P going at it for something I honestly didn't understand.

The second quote is funny to me, though, considering I see an avatar with the "not okay" version on here all the time.

And now to attempt to bring it BACK on topic:
                            Did anyone see that KWCH posted something about K-State police looking for a guy from the game last night?

Comment

Two more videos of last night court storming fiasco
                              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                                We have guidelines? Who knew?
                                I didn't even know.
                                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X