Storming the court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storming the court

Lots of attention to court storming celebrations after last night's fiasco. I'm curious since I usually watch games from afar and the old shockervision feeds may not have shown it... does anyone recall the last time the court was stormed for one of our games, either home or away?

I distinctly remember a court rushing that was embraced by HCMT and the players. In fact, I believe he said something to the effect of, "Party with us," or, "cut down the net with us," or something to that effect. He loved it, but it was also appropriate for the situation. It was a culmination of 2 decades of futility, and the championship was a drought ending rain west of the turnpike. WSU had the championship in hand (either a tie with a loss or sole possession with a win) so they knew there would be a court storming when the game was in hand. They lined up, and then stormed the court. The lone "casualty" was the guy in the wheelchair that got knocked over, but PJ(?) picked him up and made sure he was safe. It was as orderly as a court storming could be and the Annoy State players were left alone. It was a deserved celebration, and one I hope is never deserved again.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Ah, flip phones and digital cameras.

Comment

There is a difference between rushing the court in mass pandemonium and filing onto the court after the fact for a net cutting ceremony.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

The year they played at the Coliseum and beat Creighton, there was a court storming. I do not recall there being a physical assault of any players.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
            There is a difference between rushing the court in mass pandemonium and filing onto the court after the fact for a net cutting ceremony.
            It was a full on court storming
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by tw805 View Post
              The year they played at the Coliseum and beat Creighton, there was a court storming. I do not recall there being a physical assault of any players.
              I was thinking of Marshall's first championship, then.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

does anyone know of any restrictions/fines/rules by the MVC regarding court storming?

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                  They lined up, and then stormed the court.
                  I would hardly call it "stormed the court" - it was more like they ran on to the court single file.

Comment

I was the first one on the floor during the 2012 MVC Championship Celebration. It was very calm, everyone walked on for the most part. Drake had been cleared off the court first, and security was very heavy. Orderly, fun, and not meant to "show-off". It was simply a celebration.

That being said, I don't think Marshall would want to have that happen on Saturday.
                    "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                    Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

The biggest problem with last night is they all rushed to the far side by the benches and media stand, blocking the beakers exit. Normally stormings aren't quite as bad because they rush center court.

Comment

Any of the first hundred or so who would have stopped at mid-court last night was going to get trampled.

Comment

Should not happen.
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
                            The biggest problem with last night is they all rushed to the far side by the benches and media stand, blocking the beakers exit. Normally stormings aren't quite as bad because they rush center court.
                            It appears the new tradition there is players and students jumping on to the media table and pounding their chest. Several of the media have alluded to this behavior at KSU.
                            "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                            which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

In 2006, I was in the student section for the title-clinching game against Illinois State. Word filtered up through the student section that anyone who tried to jump over the rail would be arrested. It would be allowed though for students to go around to the aisles on the corners of the court to come out. Once the game appeared in hand in the final 30 seconds, students left the student section and made their way to line up to run on the court. After 23 years of waiting, the celebration was justified. Dave Dahl was recorded on TV as saying that from the older fans' perspective, it was a satisfaction like watching your kids and grandkids open up Christmas presents.

In 2012, because we had already clinched the Valley title and because we curbstomped Drake, there wasn't the delirious feel of a storm but fans casually came on out to the court to celebrate with the team once Drake left the court. Not OH MY GOD, WE ARE CHAMPS....but "Hey, let's celebrate now."
                              78-65

Comment

Working...
                              X