#14 Wichita State @ Missouri State Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    I would call what TC did face guarding and a technical foul. At the very least I think the
    official should have given a verbal warning to TC to stop or be charged with a technical.
    Given the three officials watched it all night long and no warning ... I would say that their vote is it's fine. He was always at least 2 to 3 feet from his face and had his arm fully extended. No way to actually cover Ruder's eyes or injure him, just annoy the crap out of him.

I'm curious on a physical description of face guarding. How close? Does arm position matter? Is it a percentage of lost field of vision?

Comment

• I would imagine that it is like flopping where it is a judgement call. If there was plenty of space, then it would just be annoying.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
      Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• I have a question for @ShockRef: or any of the college officials.

In the 2nd half, Fred drives in from the right side and shoots an air ball just over the rim. In the battle for the rebound the ball is knocked around and clearly bangs against the bottom of the rim. WSU regains possession and resets the offense when the shot clock goes off. HCGM and the players were saying it hit the rim but on replay Bruce said because it wasn't a shot attempt they didn't reset. That can't be the rule can it? They just missed the call, kind of like Gonzaga right?

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          Would love to run the table again. Ironically, and sadly, it would probably hurt us more than help with ranking and seedings (perception of weak conference), but boy would our team be locked in come March/April.
          You think WSU would be ranked higher and seeded better if they finish with 3 losses than if they finish with 2?

Comment

• "Section 4. CLASS B TECHNICAL INFRACTIONS
            Art. 1. A technical foul shall be assessed to a player or a substitute for the
            following infractions:
            a. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing hand(s)
            near his eyes."

'...near his eyes' is obviously the key phrase. What Tekele was doing is done in every game everywhere, so they've clearly decided that doesn't constitute 'near his eyes.' It would be interesting to see what does qualify.
            There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

• From the film clip it looks like less than a foot to me. The rule says inches but does not
              specify how many - only that you cannot obstruct vision. THAT is why I personally believe a
              player should be warned first that he is getting to close.

Comment

From the film clip it looks like less than a foot to me. The rule says inches but does not
                specify how many - only that you cannot obstruct vision. THAT is why I personally believe a
                player should be warned first that he is getting to close.
                The rule doesn't say inches, the rule says exactly what was posted above. "Near"
                There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

• Faceguarding is a foul????

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffrey Korchek View Post
                    "Section 4. CLASS B TECHNICAL INFRACTIONS
                    Art. 1. A technical foul shall be assessed to a player or a substitute for the
                    following infractions:
                    a. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing hand(s)
                    near his eyes."

'...near his eyes' is obviously the key phrase. What Tekele was doing is done in every game everywhere, so they've clearly decided that doesn't constitute 'near his eyes.' It would be interesting to see what does qualify.
                    Thanks for the info. Personally, I have never seen that particular technical called in 50 years of watching basketball but obviously it was enough of a issue at one time for a rule to be put on the books. I suspect more often than not a player is initially warned by a official.

Comment

• I stand corrected the rule does not say inches that is jut the standard I learned. I believe
                      the rule is a fairly new one.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        Faceguarding is a foul????
                        Have you ever heard a coach say "Get a hand in his face"? Of course, that usually was in he context of when an opponent was shooting.

Comment

• I wonder what it feels like to be Tekele Cotton when you find out that Marcus Marshall doesn't exist anymore and now your big showdown matchup is with a guy you've never heard of named Austin Ruder.

Ruder was going to have an "interesting night" no matter which Shocker got put on him. Then it became Tekele Cotton. I wonder if it's kind of like how I feel at work when my field service job for the day gets cancelled and I'm just supposed to drink coffee and find paperwork to do all day.

I think TKO looked at the scoreboard and decided he wanted to be a little turd more than he cared if he got a T.

Comment

I stand corrected the rule does not say inches that is jut the standard I learned. I believe
                            the rule is a fairly new one.
                            Supposedly it has been a foul since 1913. Don't know if that is true, someone just wrote that on the internet. I haven't found a rule book from 1913. :)

Comment

• Would be interesting to hear Coach Marshall's take on Tekele's "face guarding". Good question for his radio show.

Comment

• Originally posted by boltforge View Post
                                Supposedly it has been a foul since 1913. Don't know if that is true, someone just wrote that on the internet. I haven't found a rule book from 1913. :)
                                I am just curious if anyone has actually seen that technical called in a game?

Comment

Working...
                                X