No announcement yet.

#14 Wichita State @ Missouri State Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bears' forum is like Mad Max over there, the GD apocalypse. They're talking about buyout clauses and if there are clauses for reduction of the buyout if attendence drops off below a certain point.

Something I found interesting, if they fire Lusk today he has a 1.5 mil buyout. That's hilariously awful for MSU fans. Go from selling cattle, and no locker rooms in the JQH to now possibly being strapped with a mil+ buyout on a coach who has never beaten your "rival" in his entire career.

The level of sanity in regards to WSU is pretty shocking to me though. One guy said we'd beat them 100 out of 100 times. I bet he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night cause that's one smart Missourian.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Oh, and this thing I read has burned a hole in my soul's curiosity like never before. What is this papa bear thing with Lusk they speak of?

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
        Something I found interesting, if they fire Lusk today he has a 1.5 mil buyout. That's hilariously awful for MSU fans. Go from selling cattle, and no locker rooms in the JQH to now possibly being strapped with a mil+ buyout on a coach who has never beaten your "rival" in his entire career.
        Add to that the following from the article I linked to above:

Remember, one of the reasons given in keeping Terry Allen for his final season as football coach was that it would not be fiscally responsible to buy out the final year of Allen’s contract (with a base salary of about $108,000) and also pay a new staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I suppose that is possible. Depending on who you lose to and where the games were played. Wouldn't, for example, 2 home losses to say Bradley and SIU be worse than 3 road losses to UNI, Evansville and Illinois State.
          You're right, but if I'm not mistaken the scenario provided was either 18-0 or 17-1 for a total of two losses or three losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            You're right, but if I'm not mistaken the scenario provided was either 18-0 or 17-1 for a total of two losses or three losses.
            Okay. I missed that important assumption. Thanks.

Comment

Add to that the following from the article I linked to above:
              Looks like Gregg will keep adding to his winning streak over MSU guaranteed til 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                Something I found interesting, if they fire Lusk today he has a 1.5 mil buyout. That's hilariously awful for MSU fans.
                A $1.5M buyout for a guy who's total annual package has been referenced at ~$350K? WTF?!? Are monkeys running the AD over in Springpatch? That would be proportionally equivalent to 3G having a $6M-$8M buyout.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                  A $1.5M buyout for a guy who's total annual package has been referenced at ~$350K? WTF?!? Are monkeys running the AD over in Springpatch?
                  This is pretty standard. It's the annual salary times the number of years remaining on the contract, or close to it. It can make sense if you are trying to lock up a hot commodity. And you actually have some money. But when you set the buyout higher than you could possibly afford to pay, you're stuck with whatever you bought.

Interesting Note: The buyout that MSU cannot afford (1.5MM) is roughly one year of Paul Lusk's salary LESS than what WSU pays out to Marshall every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                    This is pretty standard. It's the annual salary times the number of years remaining on the contract, or close to it. It can make sense if you are trying to lock up a hot commodity. And you actually have some money. But when you set the buyout higher than you could possibly afford to pay, you're stuck with whatever you bought.

Interesting Note: The buyout that MSU cannot afford (1.5MM) is roughly one year of Paul Lusk's salary LESS than what WSU pays out to Marshall every year.
                    Correct and about $1 million of that buyout stems from the MSU AD giving Lusk a 3-year contract extension at the end of last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      A $1.5M buyout for a guy who's total annual package has been referenced at ~$350K? WTF?!? Are monkeys running the AD over in Springpatch? That would be proportionally equivalent to 3G having a $6M-$8M buyout.
                      Unless I'm missing something, 3G's buyout right now is in the neighborhood of 12 million with the rolling 7 year extension. Perhaps I'm not understanding...Lusk has a 5 year contract....if they terminate him, they owe it all.

Edit: Sorry, apparently I type quite slowly. Moving on.

Comment

• The Shocks are starting to play better, especially in 2nd halves of games. But the exciting thing is that I don't believe we are even close to sniffing our ceiling yet.

Comment

• I thought 3G's buyout as of the new 2013 contract was in the neighborhood of $500K, decreasing each year of the contract's life?

Am I getting wires crossed here with regards to terminology? I mean if his buyout was $12M, we would have nothing to worry about when it comes to the coaching carousel. 3G would have effectively said as much through the stroke of a pen.

Comment

From the Bears Board:

Posted by ursidae:

Posted By SMSU65:

Pasted by slash12376:
                            They will always be SWMO to me.
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

• I think the T-shirt thing is a little cheesy, but Kellen Marshall put this on Twitter yesterday:

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

The Shocks are starting to play better, especially in 2nd halves of games. But the exciting thing is that I don't believe we are even close to sniffing our ceiling yet.
                                Agreed. There has been a lot of noise about our lack of height or front court. What we lacked was experience. The talent, athleticism, and potential has always been there. Slowly but surely they're gaining experience and learning from their mistakes/success.

Comment

Working...
                                X