Whistle man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistle man

Did anyone see the altercation between the guy with the loud whistle and the old lady?
    He sat second row of student section, east of the tunnel. He was whistling during a EU free throw. A lady from across the aisle comes over and trys to get him to quit. She starts poking at him and grabbing him. He slaps her hand away and runs (ok, fast walk) up the aisle. No security we saw ever came down.
    Her facial expressions were a riot, and the whistler just kept going.

The only whistler that has EVER mattered is Bub Rubb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOSJ68xOBA

I mean anyone who ever played Ocarina of time knows what I'm talking about: http://bubbrubboftime.ytmnd.com/

Just leave http://www.shacknews.com/profile.x?person=sanchez running in a tab all day long like I do.

Also racism: http://gizmosflo.ytmnd.com/

Comment

I didnt see it.

But everybody sitting around me was complaining about the guy and a few people were yelling at security to tell him to stop. I happened to be in the section right next to his.

Comment

One of the camera guys told him to shut up at the SIU game. He was on the West side of the student section that night. Here's the debate I had with the people in my headset. He paid money to be there, he should be able to cheer how he wants. On the other hand, he was in the student section, aren't those tickets free? There is also a line between being rowdy while trying to distract the other team and being flat out annoying. If you noticed, the students around him were plugging their ears. I think it's really annoying but he has the right to do what he wants as a fan. Is he doing anything that is impairing other fan's ability to cheer? Oh yeah, and the first thing that old lady did when she went up the aisle is complain to the EMT that was standing next to the band.

Comment

Originally posted by boneshock
          One of the camera guys told him to shut up at the SIU game. He was on the West side of the student section that night. Here's the debate I had with the people in my headset. He paid money to be there, he should be able to cheer how he wants. On the other hand, he was in the student section, aren't those tickets free? There is also a line between being rowdy while trying to distract the other team and being flat out annoying. If you noticed, the students around him were plugging their ears. I think it's really annoying but he has the right to do what he wants as a fan. Is he doing anything that is impairing other fan's ability to cheer? Oh yeah, and the first thing that old lady did when she went up the aisle is complain to the EMT that was standing next to the band.
          Was he using an actual whistle? Or was it just the fingers in the mouth type of deal? 8)
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Personally I find him annoying. But when I played it never would have effected me. I don't know what others who played think but I always felt more comfortable with noise and probably shot better on the road than I did at home. I had to tell our student section to not be so quite while I was shooting.

And I believe he does it all on his own SF. Impressive, but very annoying.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
              Was he using an actual whistle? Or was it just the fingers in the mouth type of deal? 8)
              he just uses his fingers
              Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Re: Whistle man

Originally posted by boyshocker
                Did anyone see the altercation between the guy with the loud whistle and the old lady?
                He sat second row of student section, east of the tunnel. He was whistling during a EU free throw. A lady from across the aisle comes over and trys to get him to quit. She starts poking at him and grabbing him. He slaps her hand away and runs (ok, fast walk) up the aisle. No security we saw ever came down.
                Her facial expressions were a riot, and the whistler just kept going.
                Here is my take on the incident. I was directly behind the whistle guy. While I appreciate the enthusiasm and loudness of him cheering it is like fingernails on a chalkboard. It actually hurts your ears. When the old lady came over to talk to him she simply tapped him on the shoulder. I think she did it twice. The first time he just ignored her. After the second time he did not slap her hand away. He made a motion by putting his hand up and said "Get your hands off of me, I can do what I want." He never made contact with her but he did seem really angry. I told the man to "Calm Down". After he said he could do what he wanted the old lady said, "We will see about that."

That is just my two cents on the subject.
                Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

At a previous game, security told him that as long as he was sitting in the student section, he could whistle all he wanted. If he was sitting anywhere else, he couldn't whistle. One thing I noticed was that he didn't whistle as much this game as he has in the past, which saved my ears from ringing so much. I actually get a kick out of it and it just adds to the noise level during free throws.

Comment

From were we were sitting it looked like he clearly slapped her hand away.
                    First time I heard him he was row 1 behind the Shocker bench.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                      Originally posted by ShockRef
                      he just uses his fingers
                      ... and someone needs to bust those fingers. :good:
                      SFL is back!

Comment

Why not just let him sit in row 1 of the student section. Hopefully that would reduce the anoyance to it's lowest level for the students around him. I did notice the lady sitiing across the isle and she was 2 seats off the isle and he was 2 seats off the isle. I would think the people directly infront of him would have experienced the full force of his whistleing. I did not see them reacting negatively. It was comical to watch the reactions of the lady each time he fired up his whistle.
                        "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                        which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerKhan
                          Why not just let him sit in row 1 of the student section.
                          He was sitting there a couple games ago. Security who was right underneath him just covered their ears every time the other team was shooting a free throw.

Comment

I'm pretty much opposed to restricting fan behavior unless they're vulgar or profane, but the Whistle Man is the most annoying ever. I could hear him a few games back just doing his thing constantly, but couldn't figure out where he was seated. I can't imagine sitting within a few rows of him.

Maybe they could give him a great spot in the opponents' locker room? :whistle:

--'85.
                            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I'm glad somebody else started this thread...there are actually 3 "Whistlers". One in the student section, one next to me in section 110, and one somewhere else (not sure where). Seriously, the whistling DOES NOT EFFECT the shooters. Waving your arms behind the basket is really the only thing that might affect a free throw shooter. Having spoken with people who have played before, you really learn to block out the noise to where it all sounds the same.

All you're doing by whistling is pissing off the fans around you. We have a guy in our section who goes to 4 or 5 games a year. He honestly thinks he's pretty cool because he can whistle so loud. What he doesn't notice is that every single person around him is talking about him, wishing he'd shut up. These people range from 70 - 80 year olds who've been going to Shocker games for 50 years, to 27 - 30 year olds who didn't miss a game in the student section during some of WSU's worst times.

I'm all for yelling, cheering, standing, clapping and having fun at the games. But why annoy the people around you on purpose?

If the guy who sits by me actually showed up to more games, I might say something, because I know instantly about 30 people would agree and back me up, but since he's not there very much I've chosen to save him the embarrassment for now.

Here's how his free throw shooting routine goes: {Player lines up for first shot}(WHISTLE) (WHISTLE) (WHISTLE), "You missed it", (WHISTLE) (WHISTLE) (WHISTLE) "You missed the basket", {Player finally shoots the ball and makes it}, "Darn it!", (WHISTLE) (WHISTLE) (WHISTLE), "You missed it", (WHISTLE) (WHISTLE) (WHISTLE), "You missed the basket", {Player finally shoots 2nd shot and makes it}, "Darn it!"

Evansville made at least 10 in a row with him doing that...when they finally missed one he said "I got him!"

Comment

Working...
                              X