No announcement yet.

Whistle man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems as if the whistles are really effective to me. Road teams shoot really well here. Start whistling when we shoot too.

"uh, huh, huh.. Clemente made it. I got him."

Comment

on the subject of free throw distraction

I just have a small comment on the ability of noise to distract a shooter.

The visuals don't work that well, honestly. As a rule, you can visually block out anything from entering your mind. You can "focus" on a single object and ignore everything else. Sound, however, has to be processed by your mind, and you can't simply just "block it out." You might become accustomed to it, but you brain still has to deal with the stimulus. Shooters have just become good enough to both focus, and get used to noise. However, shooters get worse at about the 120-130 dB range. The problem is that one guys whistle does not get 120 dB to the shooter. High frequency sounds are attenuated much more quickly than low frequency sounds (that's why the rap being played in cars always seems to rattle the trunk, but you can't hear anything else). So if we could all just learn to make noises with out mouths at around the 100 Hz range, free throw shooting of our opposition would be terrible (that's a joke, we can't make that low of a noise, unless all of us are related to a certain Barry White).

Just my thoughts on noise.
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

MythBusters got 161.3 dB at 16hz
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Working...
        X