Shaq??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Fred saved us a couple of points on the T there. Still, Shaq did respond positively almost immediately when Fred got to him.

I felt that Shaq had kindof an unlucky game at LUC. There were only 23 total fouls called, several of those in the closing minutes as LUC fouled intentionally, and 3 50/50 calls, including a bogus double-foul were called on Shaq. He was upset, but I liked that he kept his intensity up and kept playing through it.
    Agreed, he was the victim of a phantom foul call AND a ***** double foul call. Hopefully the young man is developing some character and understanding how to better deal with adversity.

Comment

• Shaq got the foul call because of contact with the body, even though it was very little contact. The referees aren't consistent with this. Sometimes there's more contact than that and they don't call a foul. This just happened to be the time that they did call it.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        Nice job of keeping his cool by Shaq.
        Pretty easy to see why the doghouse has been open for two years. Somewhat interesting Gregg working (coaching) a player like him. Gotta be very frustrating....but if the passion is there...Gregg may have lightning in a bottle. Everybody's pulling for you young Shaq!!!! Go SHOCKS!!!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
          Shaq got the foul call because of contact with the body, even though it was very little contact. The referees aren't consistent with this. Sometimes there's more contact than that and they don't call a foul. This just happened to be the time that they did call it.
          I frankly cannot tell from the gif whether the shooter lost balance because of the Shaq stuffing the ball or whether there was contact at the hip. From this angle, it seems like pure speculation.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            I frankly cannot tell from the gif whether the shooter lost balance because of the Shaq stuffing the ball or whether there was contact at the hip. From this angle, it seems like pure speculation.
            Probably not called a foul if you put Shaq in a Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisville jersey.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
              Probably not called a foul if you put Shaq in a Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisville jersey.
              Unfortunately, I think there is a lot of truth to this. People "expect" players on those teams to make rejections like that, and as such they often receive the benefit of the doubt many others do not (not just at WSU).

Comment

• I thought they showed another angle replay that made it pretty clear there was no body contact, and the block was clean. It was funny how Fred immediately put both hands on Shaq's chest and told him to stay cool. The gif above leaves out what I thought was the best part of Shaq's reaction-the sarcastic golf clap as the foul is reported.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  Unfortunately, I think there is a lot of truth to this. People "expect" players on those teams to make rejections like that, and as such they often receive the benefit of the doubt many others do not (not just at WSU).
                  I've felt this way in the past especially during some of the preseason tournaments.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazztrane View Post
                    I thought they showed another angle replay that made it pretty clear there was no body contact, and the block was clean. It was funny how Fred immediately put both hands on Shaq's chest and told him to stay cool. The gif above leaves out what I thought was the best part of Shaq's reaction-the sarcastic golf clap as the foul is reported.
                    Also thought it was pretty funny when he found the cameras and said that wasn't a foul.

Comment

• It'll take a while (probably a full season) for Gregg to work the officials when those calls are called fouls. Hopefully sooner then later the officials eyes will REWARD athleticism instead of assuming it had to be a foul. Adjustments officials!!!! Adjustments!!!!!!!!!!
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        It'll take a while (probably a full season) for Gregg to work the officials when those calls are called fouls. Hopefully sooner then later the officials eyes will REWARD athleticism instead of assuming it had to be a foul. Adjustments officials!!!! Adjustments!!!!!!!!!!
                        Huh?

Comment

• A perfect example of what you guys are talking about is Toure's sophomore season against Pitt. A Pitt player is way ahead of the pack and going in for an easy layup, and Toure made an incredible block, just amazing athleticism. Well before the play even happens, the official calls a foul on the layup. It was a clean block, wasn't even close to being a foul. Anticipation calls, or any call where the ref just assumes, tend to be the worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            Also thought it was pretty funny when he found the cameras and said that wasn't a foul.
                            In their smallish arena, the camera was probably easy to find, but yes, it was funny!

The thing about Shaq's defense that I'm really starting to like is how he bodies-up his guy on the low post after the entry pass. Arms up and straight, forcing a post-move or difficult shot. Textbook. You don't see that very often from bigs with a shot-blocking mentality. If that part of his game continues to develop he should become an elite interior defender, at least by Valley standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              Huh?
                              What are you asking?
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Just protect the rim and use all your fouls doing it. THAT is what is missing from last
                                years team. Same goes for RN, RK and even DC. NO easy paint baskets allowed.
                                Want to see RN become more of a paint player both defensively and offensively.

Comment

Working...
                                X