X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
    If Shaq starts averaging 15 and 10, we become #2

Hehe
    Not going to happen this year. If you round to the nearest while number, he's averaging 10 and 4 with 2 blocks in 15 minutes per MVC contest. If he continues at that pace, we are going to be REALLY good this year and Shaq is going to be All-MVC as a junior.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
      Not going to happen this year. If you round to the nearest while number, he's averaging 10 and 4 with 2 blocks in 15 minutes per MVC contest. If he continues at that pace, we are going to be REALLY good this year and Shaq is going to be All-MVC as a junior.
      To compare apples to apples, look at another freshmen PF. Cliff Alexander, the #1 PF recruit in the nation (#3 overall), has averaged 8 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks per game for Kansas. That's the output for a guy projected in the first round of the draft this year, a guy that people thought would dominate college basketball. Shaq's season averages are lower of course, but he his last few games have shown he can play at the level. If he plays like this every game, we'll have a special player THIS season, not just a special player in years to come. If he ever ends up averaging 15/10 he won't be limited to the All-MVC team.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
        To compare apples to apples, look at another freshmen PF. Cliff Alexander, the #1 PF recruit in the nation (#3 overall), has averaged 8 points, 5.4 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks per game for Kansas. That's the output for a guy projected in the first round of the draft this year, a guy that people thought would dominate college basketball. Shaq's season averages are lower of course, but he his last few games have shown he can play at the level. If he plays like this every game, we'll have a special player THIS season, not just a special player in years to come. If he ever ends up averaging 15/10 he won't be limited to the All-MVC team.
        Absolutely! I just want to see him progress one game at a time.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Baker is averaging 16.6 PPG compared to Early who averaged 16.4 last season.
          So we need to find somebody to replace Baker's 13.1 ppg.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
            Shocks averaged 75.2 ppg last year for the season while allowing 59.5 ppg for an average spread of 15.7 ppg.

So far this year we are averaging 72.7 ppg and allowing 59.1 ppg for an average spread of 13.6 ppg against what most believe has been a stronger schedule.

So we need to find 1 more basket a game or deny 1 more basket a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Shocks averaged 75.2 ppg last year for the season while allowing 59.5 ppg for an average spread of 15.7 ppg.

So far this year we are averaging 72.7 ppg and allowing 59.1 ppg for an average spread of 13.6 ppg against what most believe has been a stronger schedule.

If we hit last year's 72.5% FT with this year's attempts (without adjusting for the front-end of one-and-ones), we'd have 20 more points right now. That's 1.3 ppg.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Shaq shows signs that as a Freshman, he is developing into his team- role that he could be a player to be a rim protector of at least 2 baskets a game and be the maker of more and more inside points as the Season progresses. We can't forget about Nurger and I am hoping he finds his team-niche as a Freshman. We took quite a hit inside losing Cle, and all our other bigs at the same time except Carter. Even so, in our quest to fill these voids, we are 13-2. Carter and Shaq are emerging at a time that we really need this inside boost. It is widely documented we are among the best in the Country at positions 1-2-3. From there, as our defense gets more stingy, we keep improving on our rebounding edge we have to have, and developing our overall inside game and overall depth, this very team could still have a very solid Season.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                  Shaq shows signs that as a Freshman, he is developing into his team- role that he could be a player to be a rim protector of at least 2 baskets a game and be the maker of more and more inside points as the Season progresses. We can't forget about Nurger and I am hoping he finds his team-niche as a Freshman. We took quite a hit inside losing Cle, and all our other bigs at the same time except Carter. Even so, in our quest to fill these voids, we are 13-2. Carter and Shaq are emerging at a time that we really need this inside boost. It is widely documented we are among the best in the Country at positions 1-2-3. From there, as our defense gets more stingy, we keep improving on our rebounding edge we have to have, and developing our overall inside game and overall depth, this very team could still have a very solid Season.
                  Comparing the first 15 games of this year to the first 15 of last year

15 games 15games
                  2013-14 2014-15 Delta
                  FGA% 46.0% 45.0% -1.0%
                  FGA-3% 33.0% 37.0% 4.0%
                  FTA% 74.0% 66.0% -8.0%
                  Reb-OFF 9.9 12.9 3
                  Reb-DEF 25 23.7 -1.3
                  Reb-TOT 34.9 36.7 1.8
                  PF 18.3 18 -0.3
                  PTS 77 72.7 -4.3
                  AST 13.5 14.3 0.8
                  TO 9.1 10.1 1
                  BLK 4.7 3.4 -1.3
                  STL 7.2 6.9 -0.3
                  MIN 600 610 10
                  ORB 29.1% 40.0% 10.9%
                  DRB 69.2% 66.7% -2.5%

Also of interest is the realtime numbers the morning after our 15th game last season to this season

RealTime- RPI rankings Team Power Rating from Realtime Projecions from Realtime
                  Date RPI Rank RPI SOS Rank SOS Rank Power Rank SOS Rank Proj Rank SOS
                  1/6/14 13 0.6437 112 0.5249 6 83.16 190 49.78 13 0.6157 143 0.4876
                  1/8/15 11 0.6442 33 0.5701 16 73.11 46 54.66 13 0.5991 98 0.5108

Comment

• Wow, would not believe that we are leading over last years team in rebounds through the first 15. However we are really missing those blocks and can tell we've had more turnovers up to this point.
                    I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                    If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      Carter is averaging 12.1. FVV and Cotton are basically unchanged. The big 4 from this year are equivalent to the big 4 from last year. We need that next player to replace Carter's numbers (8 and 4).
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• There's only so much practice time available, and teams need to work on offense, defense, and rebounding.

UI'm going to speculate that Marshall introduces things and works on them in the following order:

1) Defense
                        2) Rebounding
                        3) Offense

If either defense or rebounding needs work as the season progresses, those areas are going to get work, but that time is likely to be time taken away from working on offense.

Throw in that Marshall has a complex offensive scheme, and timing and positioning is critical. The new players are probably just now starting to get a handle on the offense. That's going to include Shaq because things are a lot different in games than in practices.

We should probably not expect Freshmen to have much offensive output at this stage of the season. They're still learning where to go and when to go there. Once they get that figured out, then it's time for them to work on and polish up their play with the ball in their hands to produce some offensive output.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          There's only so much practice time available, and teams need to work on offense, defense, and rebounding.

UI'm going to speculate that Marshall introduces things and works on them in the following order:

1) Defense
                          2) Rebounding
                          3) Offense

If either defense or rebounding needs work as the season progresses, those areas are going to get work, but that time is likely to be time taken away from working on offense.

Throw in that Marshall has a complex offensive scheme, and timing and positioning is critical. The new players are probably just now starting to get a handle on the offense. That's going to include Shaq because things are a lot different in games than in practices.

We should probably not expect Freshmen to have much offensive output at this stage of the season. They're still learning where to go and when to go there. Once they get that figured out, then it's time for them to work on and polish up their play with the ball in their hands to produce some offensive output.

That's standard operating procedure in every practice.
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Shaq didn't tear up the stat sheet today, but he played quite well.

Four games in to Valley play, he's averaging 7.3, 3, and 2 in 15 minutes. I'll take it!
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Shaq didn't tear up the stat sheet today, but he played quite well.

Four games in to Valley play, he's averaging 7.3, 3, and 2 in 15 minutes. I'll take it!
                              I actually thought it might have been the best game of his career. He rebounded, defended, blocks shots and pretty much always seemed like he was where he was supposed to be.

Comment

• After that one foul Fred kinda gave him a shot/bump to calm him down. That was the first time on tv at least I saw what coach has been alluding to the past two seasons. Reading Shaq's lips...I was quite impressed he found the camera...looked directly into it and said..."that wasn't a foul."
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X