No Inside Presence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Inside Presence

No rim protectors, no post presence and no help on the way. Yes we miss Early, but I honestly think we miss Lufile and Coleby just as much. With the guards we have we have to be able to work inside out or else everybody will focus all of their attention on the perimeter as they have. Not sure what we're going to do with all of the guards coming in and already being two over the scholarship limit, but it looks to me like we need to make room for a Juco big man.

That said, it's hard to know what we have right now because we never seem to throw it inside, instead we pull all of our bigs away from the basket for high ball screens.

McDuffie and Hamilton are on the way.
    The Assman

Comment

Nurger and Kelly will be fine. They aren't even halfway through their first season.
      The Assman

Comment

[QUOTE=WUs Your Daddy;528588]No rim protectors, no post presence and no help on the way. Yes we miss Early, but I honestly think we miss Lufile and Coleby just as much. With the guards we have we have to be able to work inside out or else everybody will focus all of their attention on the perimeter as they have. Not sure what we're going to do with all of the guards coming in and already being two over the scholarship limit, but it looks to me like we need to make room for a Juco big man.

That said, it's hard to know what we have right now because we never seem to throw it inside, instead we pull all of our bigs away from the basket for high ball screens.[/QUOTE

]

Yep, seems obvious that we need a juco big.

Comment

I think Coach feels the exact same way and he is losing patience with any forward on this roster who won't put in 100% effort. If one of these guys won't step up eventually, this team isn't going anywhere. In the midst of a season like this one, you better not be showing a lack of effort....

Comment

Pretty much agree. Coleby and Lufile were pretty important, as was EO on the Final Four team. Not scorers, but boy did they keep the junk out of the lane that we all too often see get through now.

With that said, we're still 11-2.

Again, as soon as people stop comparing this team to last year, the sooner you'll be able to sleep easier at night.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
              Nurger and Kelly will be fine. They aren't even halfway through their first season.
              They will both be good, but neither are back-to-the-basket players right now.

And yes, Kelly and Nurger will be fine (and possibly better than that) but I am a little scared about going into next season banking on two sophomores to carry the load and each will still be a little under sized.
              Last edited by WUs Your Daddy; December 31, 2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Anybody know of any juco bigs that could possibly be on our radar for next season?
                Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
                  Anybody know of any juco bigs that could possibly be on our radar for next season?
                  Last I knew no Juco's of note (highly ranked at least).

Comment

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?19222-Lack-of-Blocks-and-an-Inside-Presence

Hope they don't try to sign another JC center. I still say go after, sign and develope high school centers. Coach got into the Junior College cycle, where he needed to bring in a good one every season (Jr season for acclimation, Sr season for play). Miss out on a good one for even one season and their screwed, like this season. Now they're stuck starting a 6'7 player (who had always been a power forward before coming here) at center, and a 6'4 player (who has always been a guard) at power forward. Much better to bite the bullet for a season, get in the high school cycle and develope four year players. Bringing in a JC player in an emergency is fine, just don't put themselves into a position where they have to rely on them. HS players should always be the primary target. JC players should always be plan B. That's what coach did at the PG position. Started out using JC's, but is now developing HC players.
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Pretty much agree. Coleby and Lufile were pretty important, as was EO on the Final Four team. Not scorers, but boy did they keep the junk out of the lane that we all too often see get through now.

With that said, we're still 11-2.

Again, as soon as people stop comparing this team to last year, the sooner you'll be able to sleep easier at night.
                      100% agree.
                      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                        http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?19222-Lack-of-Blocks-and-an-Inside-Presence

Hope they don't try to sign another JC center. I still say go after, sign and develope high school centers. Coach got into the Junior College cycle, where he needed to bring in a good one every season (Jr season for acclimation, Sr season for play). Miss out on a good one for even one season and their screwed, like this season. Now they're stuck starting a 6'7 player (who had always been a power forward before coming here) at center, and a 6'4 player (who has always been a guard) at power forward. Much better to bite the bullet for a season, get in the high school cycle and develope four year players. Bringing in a JC player in an emergency is fine, just don't put themselves into a position where they have to rely on them. HS players should always be the primary target. JC players should always be plan B. That's what coach did at the PG position. Started out using JC's, but is now developing HC players.
                        The chances of finding a first year Juco that's better than your second year sophomores is slim at best. I agree, bring in the high/prep schoolers.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Id like to see more of glass. He has a motor. He may lack in other areas but I like his motor

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22 View Post
                            Id like to see more of glass. He has a motor. He may lack in other areas but I like his motor
                            Want to see him as well. I expect him to get some opportunities to perform. Hope he makes the most of them..
                            Last edited by jocoshock; January 1, 2015, 03:44 PM.
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Since the "experiment" of the Shaq-Project seems to be over...count me in as wanting to see what Glass can contribute. Good motor is always a good sign!!!!
                              FINAL FOURS:
                              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                              Number of Times Ranked: 157
                              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                              #3 - Dec. 2017
                              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                              #2 ~ March 2014
                              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                              X