#16 WSU @ Drake Official Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @WuDrWu: I think this is hyperbole.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Darius Carter struggles against big posts. IL State has Reggie Lynch although he is coming off some sort of injury and was limited against Ind State. We're just going to have to accept the fact that this is a rebuilding year and we'll continue to struggle in the paint. Also remember that 2012-13 was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we came together and went to the final 4 so anything can happen, I'm just not getting my expecations too high.

Comment

• Missed the game last night and so watched the replay on espn3 just now. Thought I'd post while still had some things fresh in my mind as I'll probably have to run to Dillons because the Concessions / Ice Cream signage they kept showing behind the Drake bench made me hungry :)

Not too much though to add what others haven't already said. Personally I think we're just going through growing pains with the new guys and once their CBIQ (college basketball IQ) gets better we're going to be very, very good. Would have loved to seen a blowout, but unless we're playing a young team like St Louis again, that may not happen. Probably have a lot of close games in the conference - happens when teams know you so well. I think the second half of conference play will be the most important stretch as we'll get to see how the new guys do the 2nd time playing an opponent.

I think Evan being out hurts us more in that we lose college ball experience on the court while he's out. Plus if someone goes out with foul trouble, such as Fred last night, or Darius in the past, then you got two guys on the floor without much experience at this time. Hopefully the Shaq situation works out one way or the other and we can put it behind us and move on.

Our bigs need someone to show them the ins and outs of playing post in the Valley. We got the backcourt to teach the younger backcourt guys stuff and Conner on the scout team, but would be nice to have someone like Chadrack or another big guy come back and play pickup ball with the guys and teach them a few things.

Maybe it was because it was an away game, but these guys are serious looking all the time and business like. When Ron made the three to put them up by 10, no one really looked happy or pumped up. Maybe they were tired as well or just don't want to go from high emotions to low emotions during the course of a game, but it seems kind of weird to not have at least one player who is a "cheerleader" type on the team. Was watching a highlight reel of last year's team on one of the news stations as part of their top stories of 2014, and those guys looked like they were having fun, but maybe that was because they were winning big and easily.

I think after finals, a trip to Hawaii, and then a trip to Drake, these guys have to be a little tired and hopefully being home for a week before heading out to the road again will rejuvenate them.

Comment

• WSU, Drake Game Comments

The game last night reminded me of the Corollary to Murphy's Law for College Basketball that states unequivocally that for all college basketball teams everywhere, the 1st conference game played on the road for teams with many young players is very unpredictable. In many cases, the best team loses these kind of games. This is something I have observed from watching college basketball for many years.

Comment

• More of this.

Kelly: 56% FG, 50% 3 Pt.

Brown: 60% FG, 73% 3 Pt.

Just sayin'.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by xazshox View Post
              The game last night reminded me of the Corollary to Murphy's Law for College Basketball that states unequivocally that for all college basketball teams everywhere, the 1st conference game played on the road for teams with many young players is very unpredictable. In many cases, the best team loses these kind of games. This is something I have observed from watching college basketball for many years.
              Exactly....couldn't have said it any better. Add in a few more of the things others have mentioned - plane troubles, coming back from Hawaii, finals, Shaq distraction, colds going around, growing pains with the frosh...and we were very lucky to come home with a road-win. The great news is we are 11-2 and #16 in the country!!!!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Late to the party and I know it was said in this tread but I really like Shane Dennis on the call.
                If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                  Late to the party and I know it was said in this tread but I really like Shane Dennis on the call.
                  He was much better than expected. I have tried the radio show and it struggled to be entertaining to me unless he was focused on baseball. He was very good for his first time out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                    Late to the party and I know it was said in this tread but I really like Shane Dennis on the call.
                    I thought Shane did a fine job but well talk more about that later.

Comment

Working...
                    X