Wyoming 143 56 - -
    McNeese State 144 302 - -
    New Orleans 158 305 - -
    Fairleigh Dickinson 168 294 - -
    Delaware State 170 248 - -
    North Dakota 185 319 - -
    NJIT 197 258 - -
    Southern Illinois 321 202 - -

As of 12/29, the above comparison shows teams where the RPI and KenPom disagree significantly. AP and Coaches polls have been added as an additional reference point. Let's track these teams as the season progresses and see how things shake out. I believe KenPom will be shown to be vastly superior.

Note: I may add to this table throughout today if I find more good teams for this comparison. After today, I'll leave it alone and we can see how things play out.
    Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; January 9, 2015, 08:19 AM.

Want to add WSU as a point of interest (even if ours is closely aligned).

My question is what counts as superior? I assume which rating system's final evaluation matches the earlier ones more closely?
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
      Want to add WSU as a point of interest (even if ours is closely aligned).

My question is what counts as superior? I assume which rating system's final evaluation matches the earlier ones more closely?
      I went back and added WSU to the original post. Good suggestion.

I would say superior could be determined a couple ways. One of my expectations is that the computers (RPI & KenPom) will spit out numbers in March that are fairly close to each other, and that KenPom today will be closer to that future rank than the RPI of today.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        Team RPI KenPom AP Coaches
        VCU 3 14 27 26
        Wichita State 8 13 16 16
        Northern Iowa 10 26 23 23
        Old Dominion 12 62 30 33
        George Washington 17 38 31 34
        Colorado State 19 55 24 24
        LSU 20 54 30 35
        Buffalo 21 82 - -
        Louisville 26 6 5 6
        Texas 30 10 11 10
        Oklahoma 36 12 18 21
        Georgia Tech 38 89 - -
        Wofford 39 88 - -
        Incarnate Word 40 174 - -
        Penn State 41 84 33 42
        Eastern Washington 47 104 - -
        High Point 58 148 - -
        Stony Brook 59 150 - -
        Minnesota 62 27 36 31
        Gardner Webb 63 167 - -
        Ohio State 65 11 20 18
        St. Francis PA 67 143 - -
        Lafayette 68 142 - -
        UConn 80 32 - 38
        Syracuse 81 31 - -
        Texas Southern 91 178 - -
        Radford 97 173 - -
        Notre Dame 98 23 13 14
        Texas Arlington 99 188 - -
        Indiana 104 44 35 37
        Creighton 126 76 - -
        Wyoming 143 56 - -
        McNeese State 144 302 - -
        New Orleans 158 305 - -
        Fairleigh Dickinson 168 294 - -
        Delaware State 170 248 - -
        North Dakota 185 319 - -
        NJIT 197 258 - -
        Southern Illinois 321 202 - -

As of 12/29, the above comparison shows teams where the RPI and KenPom disagree significantly. AP and Coaches polls have been added as an additional reference point. Let's track these teams as the season progresses and see how things shake out. I believe KenPom will be shown to be vastly superior.

Note: I may add to this table throughout today if I find more good teams for this comparison. After today, I'll leave it alone and we can see how things play out.
        It's CLEAR that this means the Shockers are... (talk amongst yourselves)

Comment

I would say superior could be determined a couple ways. One of my expectations is that the computers (RPI & KenPom) will spit out numbers in March that are fairly close to each other, and that KenPom today will be closer to that future rank than the RPI of today.
          Why not just look at a few years prior for comparison?
          Livin the dream

Comment

As a point of reference for me, maybe others, what are some of the major differences/factors between RPI and KemPom, and RPIForcasting and KemPom?

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Why not just look at a few years prior for comparison?
              wufan, I'm tired and may be completely overlooking something obvious, but my point with this thread was:

1 - Show how RPI and KenPom converge (partially, not fully) over the course of the year.
              2 - Show that RPI tends to converge toward KenPom more than vice versa, showing that KenPom is much more useful early in the year.

How would we do those two things using previous years? The only data available (that I know of) for previous years is final, end of year data only. There is nothing from mid-year to compare to.

Like I said, I'm tired and may be missing something obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                As a point of reference for me, maybe others, what are some of the major differences/factors between RPI and KemPom, and RPIForcasting and KemPom?
                RPI exclusively looks at W/L's and SOS. Margin of victory is not a factor at all.

KenPom looks at detailed stats (offensive and defensive efficiency, margin of victory, etc.) and ignores W/L's.

RPI Forecast simulates the games that have not yet been played and factors them into the current RPI to predict the end of season RPI in advance. There are some details of this process that I'm not real familiar with.

My main point of this thread is to show how the RPI gets fooled quite often by a small sample size, while KenPom evaluates significant amounts of detailed data from each game, allowing it to produce better results from fewer games.

For example, Louisville and Texas are both outside the top 25 in the RPI right now because they have both played a number of cupcakes that have hurt their SOS. The RPI just sees "easy opponent, win". "tough opponent, loss". It does not see what real people watching the games see. "Easy opponent, dominant win". "Tough opponent, competitive loss". Both UL and UT played close games against Kentucky. Real people watching those games saw Texas and Louisville play competitively with an excellent Kentucky team. Real people can then conclude that UL and UT are very good. KenPom is a computer program, but it is able to pick up on these things in ways that the RPI cannot. Its formula is 100x more complex than the RPI, and the result is significantly better results.
                Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; December 29, 2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

wufan, I'm tired and may be completely overlooking something obvious, but my point with this thread was:

1 - Show how RPI and KenPom converge (partially, not fully) over the course of the year.
                  2 - Show that RPI tends to converge toward KenPom more than vice versa, showing that KenPom is much more useful early in the year.

How would we do those two things using previous years? The only data available (that I know of) for previous years is final, end of year data only. There is nothing from mid-year to compare to.

Like I said, I'm tired and may be missing something obvious.
                  I was thinking there would be data available week-to-week in previous years.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Almost any serious power index, KenPom included, will be better -- in the sense of defining how "good" a team is (mainly, how likely it is to win any given game) -- than RPI, because it considers more factors of importance than RPI does. In the RPI, a win by one is the same as a win by 20, but in real life it isn't; usually, dominating a team says something about the relative quality of the two teams, but RPI doesn't consider that. RPI is flawed because it treats all wins or losses of a given type (home, road, neutral) as equal to each other, and they simply aren't. KenPom (for example) tries to differentiate, and even if you don't agree with exactly how Pomeroy quantifies the differences, at least he recognizes they exist.

Comment

IIRC RPI does discount home wins and road losses and reward road wins but agree with all the rest.

I believe RPI doesn't adjust for road and home for SOS, which is a serious flaw.
                      Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

I believe RPI doesn't adjust for road and home for SOS, which is a serious flaw.
                        Over the course of a season, WSU may play 55% at home and 45% on the road, thus it is important that the RPI factors home/away into the first level of calculations.

However, it would be really rare for WSU to put together a schedule of teams that all tend to play mostly home or mostly away games. The sum total of all of WSU’s opponents’ schedules is likely to be much closer to a 50/50 home/away split. Unlike the mere 34 games (give or take) that WSU plays, WSU’s opponents will play a total of 1,000+ games. The larger sample size (1,000+ vs 34), the greater chance the ratio will be 50/50.

At the level of opponents’ opponents, we would be talking about almost 40,000 games, making home/away a virtual certainty to be nearly an exact 50/50 split.

I'm not saying taking home/road into account for SOS would be bad, just that it would make almost zero difference in the final rankings the RPI produces and would add additional complexity to the formula.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                          Almost any serious power index, KenPom included, will be better -- in the sense of defining how "good" a team is (mainly, how likely it is to win any given game) -- than RPI, because it considers more factors of importance than RPI does. In the RPI, a win by one is the same as a win by 20, but in real life it isn't; usually, dominating a team says something about the relative quality of the two teams, but RPI doesn't consider that. RPI is flawed because it treats all wins or losses of a given type (home, road, neutral) as equal to each other, and they simply aren't. KenPom (for example) tries to differentiate, and even if you don't agree with exactly how Pomeroy quantifies the differences, at least he recognizes they exist.
                          Thank you, Watcher. Everything that Jamar and you have said makes good sense.

As an example, a one point overtime loss on a road court does not equal a one point win on a home court. i.e. Utah v. Alabama.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Over the course of a season, WSU may play 55% at home and 45% on the road, thus it is important that the RPI factors home/away into the first level of calculations.

However, it would be really rare for WSU to put together a schedule of teams that all tend to play mostly home or mostly away games. The sum total of all of WSU’s opponents’ schedules is likely to be much closer to a 50/50 home/away split. Unlike the mere 34 games (give or take) that WSU plays, WSU’s opponents will play a total of 1,000+ games. The larger sample size (1,000+ vs 34), the greater chance the ratio will be 50/50.

At the level of opponents’ opponents, we would be talking about almost 40,000 games, making home/away a virtual certainty to be nearly an exact 50/50 split.

I'm not saying taking home/road into account for SOS would be bad, just that it would make almost zero difference in the final rankings the RPI produces and would add additional complexity to the formula.
                            One issue though is SOS is presented as a rank on its own. Most years we play more OOC away and neutral than other programs in the top 25. They also rank OOC SOS. We are being put at a disadvantage although probably slight in that measure.
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

IIRC RPI does discount home wins and road losses and reward road wins but agree with all the rest.

You're correct about the home and road adjustments, Mad, which is why I referred to wins and losses "of a given type (home, road, neutral)" -- because they all have different values in the RPI calculation. Of course, one can assume pretty confidently even without trying to do any formula research that Pomeroy and other rankers also assign different values to each type, too, so that isn't really a point in favor of RPI; it's just a respect in which RPI is probably no worse than the others.

The problem with RPI is that the home-road differential is about as sophisticated as it gets.

Comment

Working...
                              X