UNI the real deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
    These games we have played have been against long, athletic, physical players. Not the easiest games for new guys to learn and for coach to build depth. There are plenty of teams that depth can be built against coming up in the conference. I won't be worried about depth for another month or so.

FT shooting I am mildly concerned but I have faith that will get a better
    Hey, it could always be worse...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

we didnt even play all that great against Utah, Detroit & Alabama...and were well faught close games...I think our guards are little down...weve been bailed out by mister Carter a few times and maybe this tournament will help get things back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        Hey, it could always be worse...

You do remember that EO did just that right before we went on to lose to Louisville, right? Go find that one too :) I still blame Baker, not EO...

Comment

UNI is the real deal, well coached team, and will give us a run for the money. I expect to split games with them in conference. Our bigs are lacking behind some, and just starting to come into play. Their play will affect the team's performance down the road. Outside shooting has been lacking a little, FVV's 3 point
          shooting has been somewhat cold lately.

Comment

UNI is the REAL DEAL.

...and we will beat them by 10 at their place and by 20 at our place.

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              Brown is the most intriguing to me. Long -- did I say long -- with a very nice offensive skill set. When he learns the system, where to be and when, he could be very very good. Can be a real huge asset on team defense with his length and quickness.

Really the same for Glass, he has great per 40 rebounding stats, but is too often in the wrong place.

BushW is limiting his time by cheap fouls on the perimeter on the ball screens. I'd like to see him get some continuous minutes where he can slow down a bit.
              I like Brown too. His problem is being stuck behind a couple all americans. He will be a very good player and time is on his side.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                You do remember that EO did just that right before we went on to lose to Louisville, right? Go find that one too :) I still blame Baker, not EO...

Baker's ONE and only mistake so far in college.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Baker's ONE and only mistake so far in college.
                  You think Gregg will give him grief about that at a Final Four reunion someday...if he doesn't already?
                  78-65

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    Uh, that's why I said 6th toughest schedule TO DATE. I never said anything about what our final numbers will like. But since you are questioning the team on what theyve done TO DATE, I'm providing factual information based upon that timeframe.

Do you not understand the concept of it's impossible to play 40 minutes of perfect basketball? Especially early in the season?

Have you watched every team in the Top 25 play? Have you watched them play 40 minutes of perfect basketball?

If you wanna bring up certain weaknesses of the team (i.e. free throw shooting), then by all means do it. But if you're just gonna make blanket statements about WSU not being good without any supporting evidence, then you should probably consider toning down your pie hole, because the statistical evidence that has been laid it out before you, does not support your case.
                    Haha I fully understand no one is perfect. Are you really telling me you have watched the last 5 games and are not questioning that we may not be the 11th best team in the nation? I never once said that we aren't good. I said question HOW good. I question if we are an elite (top 10 team) and if we have a good enough team to make a deep run in the tournament. Not if we are good.

If you want stats here: Free throw pct 63.1 (302nd), 2pt field goal pct 51.9 (151st), 3 pt field goal pct 29.6 (129th), blocked per game 2.4 (285th), blocked pct 5 (266th), fouls per game 18.7 (184th), defensive 3 point pct 36 (270th), defensive true shooting pct 50.9 (152), blocks per game 4 (270th), block pct 6.8 (245th), starting frontcourt size 6'7" 245 and 6'4" 218, number of starters shooting under 42% from the field 3 (wessel, cotton, vanvleet).

It is still early in the season, but the way we played in the Utah, Detroit, and Alabama game is what has me worried. Our lack of size and experience in the front court is an issue. Our shooting pct and us relying on shooting 3's worries me. I wonder how much losing Cle affects the play of Cotton and FVV. How often the other team seems to get a wide open look from 3 worries me.

I respect your faith in the team and 3G. There aren't many things in this world that would bring me more joy than to see WSU win a national championship. I understand where you are coming from and why you aren't worried, but it is perfectly acceptable for me (and many other users on here) to question how good this team actually is at this point. I only question because I care and strongly desire WSU to be elite. I am not so sure if they are right now. Go shockers
                    Last edited by Jhook89; December 22, 2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                      Haha I fully understand no one is perfect. Are you really telling me you have watched the last 5 games and are not questioning that we may not be the 11th best team in the nation? I never once said that we aren't good. I said question HOW good. I question if we are an elite (top 10 team) and if we have a good enough team to make a deep run in the tournament. Not if we are good.

If you want stats here: Free throw pct 63.1 (302nd), 2pt field goal pct 51.9 (151st), 3 pt field goal pct 29.6 (129th), blocked per game 2.4 (285th), blocked pct 5 (266th), fouls per game 18.7 (184th), defensive 3 point pct 36 (270th), defensive true shooting pct 50.9 (152), blocks per game 4 (270th), block pct 6.8 (245th), starting frontcourt size 6'7" 245 and 6'4" 218, number of starters shooting under 42% from the field 3 (wessel, cotton, vanvleet).

It is still early in the season, but the way we played in the Utah, Detroit, and Alabama game is what has me worried. Our lack of size and experience in the front court is an issue. Our shooting pct and us relying on shooting 3's worries me. I wonder how much losing Cle affects the play of Cotton and FVV. How often the other team seems to get a wide open look from 3 worries me.

I respect your faith in the team and 3G. There aren't many things in this world that would bring me more joy than to see WSU win a national championship. I understand where you are coming from and why you aren't worried, but it is perfectly acceptable for me (and many other users on here) to question how good this team actually is at this point. I only question because I care and strongly desire WSU to be elite. I am not so sure if they are right now. Go shockers
                      There's nothing wrong with wondering, but it seems like you've already made up your mind 9 games into the season. Personally, I'm going to let the season play out before I make any definitive assessments. Cop out? Boring message board talk? Probably.

Comment

It's ok to point out holes Hook but to be worried is not to have perspective. Mich. St. Should be worried. They've been a Top 25 program forever and they just lost to Texas Southern 2-8.

Comment

You are right that it is early to make too serious of assessments. There is a lot of bball to be played. These are just things that I think could be our downfall come tourney time. I would hope that some things that have me worried (ft shooting, cotton and fvv shooting, frontcourt play) will improve as the season goes along.

Comment

I would like to see UNI stay in the Top 25 all year, but I can see them getting bumped out by mediocre P5 teams with above .500 records who happen to pull an upset or two. If they do stay in the Top 25, it'll be interesting to see if other MVC schools get fired up to play them and have large crowds like when the Shox come to town, or if they only get up for the Shox. I'm not sure if Missouri State has room on the left side of their web site for a countdown for UNI or not :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                              3 pt field goal pct 29.6 (129th)
                              Of all the troubling stats, this is one that I think has been a fluke. We know our defense is good. FVV, Baker, and Cotton aren't doing that poor of a job guarding the three. We've had a couple of teams so far that hit threes that made Baker's banked in three against UK look like a beautiful shot. Heck, Seton Hall probably bumped that up a percentage point or two in the last two minutes alone.

Comment

Look at the rest of the nation and name 15 teams that are better than the Shockers. Last year we played like a #1 team all year. This year we are playing like a #10 team. UNI is playing like a #20 team.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X