2018 NCAA TOURNAMENT COMES TO WICHITA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
    Parking wont be an issue if the city runs shuttle buses from Lawrence Dumont

You underestimate the stupidity of Wichitans

Comment

I heard 2016 sweet 16 and elite 8 are in KC.

If some chips fall right. That could be a very nice weekend!
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Just heard on ESPN as they we're talking about Villanova possibly playing in the NCAA tournament in Philadelphia. The rule is 3 games, if you play less than that you can play there in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
          Just heard on ESPN as they we're talking about Villanova possibly playing in the NCAA tournament in Philadelphia. The rule is 3 games, if you play less than that you can play there in the tournament.
          We still have the problem of being a co-host for the event. I remember some discussion happening about potentially dropping our name from "co-host" if it looks like we might be able to play in Wichita. It sounds like we have to 1. not play more than 3 games in the arena and 2. not be a co-host.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
            We still have the problem of being a co-host for the event. I remember some discussion happening about potentially dropping our name from "co-host" if it looks like we might be able to play in Wichita. It sounds like we have to 1. not play more than 3 games in the arena and 2. not be a co-host.
            That's my understanding as well. Back when Blake Griffin played for Oklahoma they were the co-host of the Oklahoma City regional along with the Big 12. Once the season started and it appeared that OU was going to be a high seed they dropped as co-host and just let the Big 12 host the regional so that they could play in Oklahoma City. I can see WSU doing the same thing if it appears we have a good shot at a high seed.

Comment

That 2017-2018 season we play in Maui and the NCAA tournament comes to Wichita. Our senior class could be; Conner Frankamp, Ri'an Holland, Shaquille Morris, Rauno Nurger, Rashard Kelly, Corey Henderson and Zach Brown. I know these things always change, but it's fun to speculate.

Comment

This time, it fell just right for Wichita.
                Spruced up hotels, an expanded partnership and winning basketball at Wichita State University.

Those were key factors in Wichita being named Monday as one of eight sites to host preliminary rounds of the 2018 NCAA men’s basketball tournament at the Intrust Bank Arena.
                After seeing being jilted twice in recent years, Wichita will get a piece of the action from the multibillion-dollar March Madness tournament. Local officials have estimated an economic impact of $10 million for the area.
                “It’s a big jigsaw puzzle,” Dan Gavitt, the NCAA’s vice president for men’s basketball, said while also announcing early-round sites for 2016 and 2017 tournaments. “Timing is important in all of this because there are so many moving parts.”

WSU has moved college basketball to a fever pitch. The Shockers followed their Final Four run in 2013 by going 35-0 last year before losing to Kentucky in their second tournament game.
                “Certainly the support Wichita State has bodes well for the selection,” said Scott Barnes, Utah State University athletics director and chair of the tournament.
                JoAn Scott, the NCAA’s managing director for the tournament, said that “excitement should be at an all-time high” in Wichita.
                One big hitch for Shocker fans.

Because WSU is a co-host for the event, NCAA rules prevent the Shockers from playing the first two rounds at INTRUST.
                But longtime Shocker fan Sherl Weatherbee said she’s still happy for the community.
                “I’ll go wherever they send the Shockers, because I’m Shockers all the way,” she said. “But it is awesome that they got the tournament here. It’s going to be great for this city.”
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                BOB LUTZ SAYS>>>

The only bad news – if you can find any – is because WSU is involved in hosting the 2018 first and second rounds, Wichita State is ineligible to play in the tournament at Intrust, which means Shocker fans might be headed to Detroit, also picked us a first- and second-round site, instead of staying home to enjoy the biggest basketball party in more than 20 years.
                http://www.kansas.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/bob-lutz/article3987899.html
                Last edited by RoyalShock; December 23, 2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I thought it had been said previously that we could remove ourselves as a host and become eligible to play in Wichita if the opportunity presented itself?

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                    I thought it had been said previously that we could remove ourselves as a host and become eligible to play in Wichita if the opportunity presented itself?
                    Oklahoma did this a few years ago when they played in Oklahoma City. When it became apparent they would get geographic preference, they stepped aside and the Big 12 became the host.
                    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Are t we co-hosting with valley? What happens if our conference changes?

Comment

I'm sure whichever conference we are in would do everything possible to allow us to play in our home city and have a better shot at earning multiple NCAA units.
                        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                          I'm sure whichever conference we are in would do everything possible to allow us to play in our home city and have a better shot at earning multiple NCAA units.
                          Especially if its our last season in said conference....
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                            They would because NCAA units don't transfer.Conferences want all the units they can get.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                              What if THIS is our last season in the conference?

Comment

Originally posted by wuhog View Post
                                What if THIS is our last season in the conference?
                                It's not.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X