No announcement yet.

Upside-Down Big XII Cake For Desert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wrong! i've heard of several recruits that have followed their coaches, it's quite common actually. Again, some recruits go to the coach, not the school. i know of several people that have went to a certain school because they wanted to play for a certain coach, very common. don't understand what the big deal is. I just know if I was Bowles, and I found out that the coach that recruited me was going to a different school, I'd take a long, hard look at that school and probably go there. nothin wrong with it at all, there's worse things than a recruit following a coach to a new school

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas
      Well, in my mind if Turgeon recruited him, that's Turgeon's recruit, not Wichita State's recruit.
      Marshall addressed this in one of his shows. He said he had some guy(s) [not sure if it was one or more] he was recruiting for Winthrop that wanted to follow him to WSU. He said he didn't think it was ethical to bring the recruit because the player was recruited on Winthrop budget.

I can't think of any high profile coaches who have taken another job that took any of their recruits (though Roy Williams did lament about it).

Comment

wrong! i've heard of several recruits that have followed their coaches, it's quite common actually.
        Please cite these instances of the players and schools involved.

Comment

Well, in my mind if Turgeon recruited him, that's Turgeon's recruit, not Wichita State's recruit. Now if somebody else on the staff had recruited Bowles, and Turgeon decided to lay claim to Bowles and take Bowles with him, that would be a different story. From what I've heard I see nothing wrong with this at all. I dunno, maybe I don't understand the ethics of recruiting. Then again, I'm sure most Shocker fans would have loved it if Marshall would have brought some of his recruits from Winthrop. :roll:
          What is wrong with it is simple - Turgeon was paid by Wichita State to find good players for the university. He then leaves and takes a player he recruited with him.

It would be like me developing a software program on my employer's time and then taking it with me (were I to quit) and use it to compete against them. Perhaps not illegal but you know its dishonest.

Comment

again, who says he took Bowles with him? Bowles could have very easily decided on his own to go to A&M instead of WSU. If that's the case, then too bad so sad for us. Nobody really has proof that Turgeon "stole" Bowles from WSU, everybody just wants to say he did. I say show me proof!

Comment

actually, who cares, this argument is stupid. nobody is gonna win and it's just gonna piss people off. This team would have sucked just as bad with Bowles, so it doesn't matter. We didn't lose anything by not getting Bowles

Comment

shockerfanmas sense of ethics once again on display.

Comment

Well, in my mind if Turgeon recruited him, that's Turgeon's recruit, not Wichita State's recruit. Now if somebody else on the staff had recruited Bowles, and Turgeon decided to lay claim to Bowles and take Bowles with him, that would be a different story. From what I've heard I see nothing wrong with this at all. I dunno, maybe I don't understand the ethics of recruiting. Then again, I'm sure most Shocker fans would have loved it if Marshall would have brought some of his recruits from Winthrop. :roll:
                  Ok I wasn't going to get involved but this needs to be addressed. Recruiting using WSU's resources then taking the recruit with you is like developing a product with one companies money then going to another company and taking that product with you. Don't give me htis Turgeon recruited him crap. He recruited him with WSU's resources for WSU.

On a side note who cares really Bowles looked lazy in the videos and he obviously has some development he needs to go thru anyways. Not saying he wouldn't have been a plus for WSU this year but I don't think he would have been a big time difference maker.

Comment

Something like 99% of coaches WILL NOT take a recruit with them when they change schools. The fact that Turgeon did says a lot about him. Even Bill Self told a prized recruit he wouldn't take him at KU when he left. Taking a recruit with you is not a common practice as you've tried to say. It's considered unethical. And if Bowles told Turg that he wanted to follow him to aTm Turgeon should have done the right thing and said you need to find another school if you're not going to WSU. aTm shouldn't have been one of those options.

And when Marshall hired on there was some debate about this practice with the vast majority saying that they didn't want him to bring any recruits with him. Most of us saw it as an unethical practice that we didn't want to be a part of. Again, it's looked down upon many and most coaches. Trying to spin it any other way is ridiculous.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Arguing with Shockerfanmas is like trying to watch and explain whats going on on Univision.

Except the person doing the explaining and watching doesnt understand a lick of spanish

Comment

Subgod 22 wrote:

"Miller, Burns, Howard, Kampman, Cooz, Braeuer were all pretty good. And Matt Clark may not have been great but he was a good, solid player that knew his role and played it well. Even Ogirri was a good get. I believe we only recruited two Top150 guys out of HS and he was one."

Ogirri was the only top 150 player WSU signed out of high school- about 125.

Sowers and Howard- about 225.

P.J. - about #27 in Texas.

Miller and Kampman- between 250-500.

Burns and Brauer-about 67 in Texas - Not ranked.

Durley- Not ranked.

Wendell- not ranked.

Brown and Butler and the kid from Florida, I don't recall their rankings if any.

Those are my memories of some of the WSU recruits.

Now compare those recruiting classes with Creighton, Southern Illinois, Illinois State, and Bradley and see how well we did. That's our compatition for winning the MVC.

Comment

Turgeon had to try to live up to the tradition of his mentors, Roy and Larry, so engaging in a little quasi-unethical recruiting matter shouldn't be a big surprise.

Anyone who thinks that A&M was on Bowles' list before Turgeon bolted while he could might be a little naive.

Comment

Though I am typically an MT defender, the decision to allow Bowles to play for A&M continues to bother me. The fact that he apparently isn't that good only makes it worse. Mark severely damaged his reputation in Wichita by agreeing to give a scholarship to a Spinelli-recruited big man who appears to be overmatched in the Big 12. I just don't understand what he was thinking on that one and I think it's very difficult to defend his decision.
                            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                              Turgeon had to try to live up to the tradition of his mentors, Roy and Larry, so engaging in a little quasi-unethical recruiting matter shouldn't be a big surprise.

Anyone who thinks that A&M was on Bowles' list before Turgeon bolted while he could might be a little naive.
                              That's what I was thinking. I looked through his recruiting thread and never saw aTm mentioned as having been interested.

I'm really starting to wonder why shockerfanmas is so adamant about Turgeon not doing anything wrong ever. Are you a KU alum?

Comment

The announcers for last nights Texas at K-State game also covered the Drake - Butler Bracket Busters game. The sure had a lot of positive comments about both Drake and Butler.

Comment

Working...
                                X