No announcement yet.

The Annual Redshirt Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last season my only concern was the center position and the same is true this year. We only have
    three true centers and I think ALL three need to be given plenty of opportunities/minutes to develop
    during the regular season. Wam/Nurger/Shaq should all play 12-17 minutes a game so they can
    all be solid by tournament time. Hopefully at least two of them will be tournament ready and maybe
    all three. None have to be especially strong offensively but ALL three need to possess the physicality
    to defend, rebound, intimidate and understand their roles.

Comment

Evan is a scrapper but we can not have him playing the 4 if we're competing at the next level. We have too much girth underneath to need it anyway. Secondly, I hope he spent the summer, shooting shooting and shooting some more. We have talent behind him that can stroke the rock and I hope he's ready to perform in that regard.

Comment

Who are our 3 legit centers?

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          Last season my only concern was the center position and the same is true this year. We only have
          three true centers and I think ALL three need to be given plenty of opportunities/minutes to develop
          during the regular season. Wam/Nurger/Shaq should all play 12-17 minutes a game so they can
          all be solid by tournament time. Hopefully at least two of them will be tournament ready and maybe
          all three. None have to be especially strong offensively but ALL three need to possess the physicality
          I'm confused by the "only have three true centers" comment.

There are five positions. If you run three deep at every position, that is fifteen players. Each school has thirteen scholarships. How is having three centers an "only" situation?
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

HCGM says Wessel can play the 4, I never saw where he described Brown that way.
            Last edited by pinstripers; September 1, 2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              HCGM says Wessel can play the 4, I never saw when he described Brown that way.
              Between Carter, Kelly, Morris and Glass, I hope we don't need Evan at the 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Between Carter, Kelly, Morris and Glass, I hope we don't need Evan at the 4.
                This.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                  Shaq, like Carter, is a forward that can play some center. Nurger is a center that can play some forward. Wamukota is the only true center I see.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

I feel kinda bad because I WANT Evan to get minutes and be successful but the team is starting to look stacked against him. I hope he has the ability to overcome the odds and be instrumental during the next two years. He's going to have to be really good to be earning minutes at any of the positions he is able to play.

This is going to be a fun year to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      I don't see Evan and Zach at the 4. If they play significant minutes there, then Darius plays the five and we have very little talent in Wamukota, Nurger, Morris, Glass, and Kelly.

This is what i see:

VanVleet for 28 minutes at the point
                      Baker gets 30 at the wing (possibly some at point)
                      Cotton plays 28 at the wing
                      Carter with 25 minutes at the post (4/5)
                      Wamukota/Nurger split the center position with 28 minutes

2 of Wessel/Holland/Brown/Henderson will split the remaining guard minutes.
                      Morris will play 12-15 minutes at the 4 and/or 5.
                      1 of Glass/Kelly will get remaining minutes at the 4.
                      Based on your numbers, there is 34 remaining minutes at the guard/wing positions which would divide up 8-9 minutes a piece for the other 4 guard/wings.
                      You also have 27 minutes left at the 4/5 positions, which would also give 9 minutes to each of the 4/5s.

This all assumes everyone stays healthy and all earn those remaining minutes. Some will get a little less, some more, but it should keep everyone happy.

Also, we will have games where our core 5 may play 30-35 minutes, however, we may very well have games where they only need to play about 20-25.

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                      Our mop up squad is going to obliterate teams who have already been blown out in the first 35 minutes
                      What do you mean "blown out in the first 35 minutes"? I'm hoping for some games where it's out of reach at half. :eagerness:

If we assume a third team of; Simon, Holland, Bush, Glass, and Kelly, then yes, we will extend the score.
                      It would not surprise me to see Walker over Simon. All 3 walk-ons may see very little time at all due to the apparent depth of this team and those valuable court time minutes may go to 9-13 on the roster.

Comment

I think Evan will play plenty backing up the 2/3. Of course his shot needs to improve but its his fourth year in the program, he is a good defender, and a glue guy. I mean time in the program only in terms of experience and knowledge of the sets, and of course not favoritism.
                        Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          Based on your numbers, there is 34 remaining minutes at the guard/wing positions which would divide up 8-9 minutes a piece for the other 4 guard/wings.
                          You also have 27 minutes left at the 4/5 positions, which would also give 9 minutes to each of the 4/5s.
                          I actually think, as posted above, that 2 players will take most all of the minutes (30-35) at the guard and wing. Additionally, I have Carter with 25 minutes, and Nurger/Wamukota/Morris eating up 40-43 minutes. That leaves 12-15 minutes for one of Glass/Kelly.
                          Last edited by wufan; September 1, 2014, 07:11 PM.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                            I feel kinda bad because I WANT Evan to get minutes and be successful but the team is starting to look stacked against him. I hope he has the ability to overcome the odds and be instrumental during the next two years. He's going to have to be really good to be earning minutes at any of the positions he is able to play.

This is going to be a fun year to watch.
                            If Evan can shoot, he will get minutes at the 2/3. If not, he will quickly be passed by.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

If Evan can shoot, he will get minutes at the 2/3. If not, he will quickly be passed by.
                              Like I said the other day, I suppose if he has trouble cracking the rotation, he can probably transfer to KU to get more playing time... :)

Comment

I actually think, as posted above, that 2 players will take most all of the minutes (30-35) at the guard and wing. Additionally, I have Carter with 25 minutes, and Nurger/Wamukota/Morris eating up 40-43 minutes. That leaves 12-15 minutes for one of Glass/Kelly.
                                As I stated "This all assumes everyone stays healthy and all earn those remaining minutes. Some will get a little less, some more, but it should keep everyone happy".

It will be interesting to see which 2 of 4 guard/wings get "most all the minutes" remaining. At the 3, Wessel/Brown. Wessel has the experience/defense, but his shot needs to reappear. Brown has athleticism/probably higher ceiling, but so much is unknown. If Brown buys in to working extra hard on D and shows he has an ready inside/outside game, he'll get his minutes. At the guards, you have Henderson (a PG/SG) and Holland (a SG/PG with experience). Henderson has the D-I body and may be the heir-apparent to FVV, but is a true freshman. Holland has a red shirt year under his belt and is very athletic, but slight of build. Of course, Brown could throw a wrench into everything if he's able to handle the 2, and maybe some 1.

I don't disagree that Glass/Kelly may see lesser minutes than the other 4/5s. However, even 6-7 minutes a piece, as you stated, is just a little less than 8-9, so not that much difference.

Nevertheless, it will be exciting to see how all this comes together. I'd rather have the problem of a deep roster and finding playing time, than having the problems of a short bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X