No announcement yet.

The Annual Redshirt Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If FVV is drafted, I will be surprised. Second round maybe.

If RB is drafted as a point guard, I will be surprised. I am not sure Ron will be drafted first round. Second maybe.

I know, I know, heresy.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      If FVV is drafted, I will be surprised. Second round maybe.

If RB is drafted as a point guard, I will be surprised. I am not sure Ron will be drafted first round. Second maybe.

I know, I know, heresy.
      and tim duncan won't make it in the nba

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
        Not true. HCGM moved Cooz to SG when he got here because that was his best shot at the pros. He had toure play more PG minutes, because that was his shot. Marshall is there not just to win at that level, but to develop his players into the best basketball players they can be and to prepare them for a future beyond WSU basketball.
        Agree. The two don't have to be mutuallu exclusive.

Comment

Not true. HCGM moved Cooz to SG when he got here because that was his best shot at the pros. He had toure play more PG minutes, because that was his shot. Marshall is there not just to win at that level, but to develop his players into the best basketball players they can be and to prepare them for a future beyond WSU basketball.
          The year Toure played point the most was the year we didn't have a serviceable backup there. Not because it was his best shot at the league. But I completely agree on Marshall's ability to develop players.
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Your recollection is different than mine.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
              When Turgeon was coach I didn't know what a redshirt was.
              Durley redshirted for Turgeon (and they could have dearly used his offense, and Turgeon almost rip his redshirt off at the MVC tournament).

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                Durley redshirted for Turgeon (and they could have dearly used his offense, and Turgeon almost rip his redshirt off at the MVC tournament).
                Cousinard was another. Miller did, but he was hurt. There always seemed to be a transfer that was red-shirting as well.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Wasn't Cousinard also hurt?
                  Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                    Wasn't Cousinard also hurt?
                    I don't think so.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Pos Name Yr Ht Wt
                      G JR Simon So 5'11 166
                      G Fred Van Vleet Jr 5'11 204
                      G Ria'n Holland Fr 6'0 145
                      G Tekele Cotton Sr 6'2 200
                      G Ron Baker Jr 6'3 222
                      G Corey Henderson Fr 6'3 169
                      G Jared Walker Fr 6'3 180
                      G Evan Wessel Jr 6'5 219
                      F Zach Brown Fr 6'6 213
                      F Zach Bush Jr 6'6 192
                      F Darius Carter Sr 6'7 245
                      F Rashard Kelly Fr 6'7 234
                      F Shaq Morris Fr 6'7 275
                      F Tevin Glass Jr 6'8 206
                      C Rauno Nuger Fr 6'10 237
                      C Tom Bush Wamukota Jr 7'0 224

Where does everyone fit?

We know that Fred, Ron, Tekele, and Darius will play significant minutes as the core of this team.

At point guard, Fred will have the lion's share of the minutes, with Ron filling in as needed if Corey is not able to give quality relief time right off the bat. It is important to remember that Tekele is capable of running the point, but it is not where he can help the team best. I want Corey to take the backup spot from Ron. If that happens, we are looking at a shot to replicate last year in terms of cohesion.

What happens at the 2 guard is simple. Ron plays and is spelled by a rotation of Tekele, Evan, and Ria'n depending on the situation down low. More than likely, Tekele's commanding presence and Evans big body will be needed at the 3. Ria'n is too small to be an impact just yet. He needs to add bulk and mass if his 145 weight is correct. Look for limited minutes from Ria'n, lots of minutes from Ron.

The three guard is the flex spot for the other two guard positions. Ron, Evan, Tekele, and Zach Brown are all very capable of playing this spot. If Evan gets his stroke back, the three guard will be manned by a rotation of Cotton and Brown. Evan and Zach will swing to the 4 to run a stretch 4 line up.

Someone else can figure the 4/5 dynamic. My brain hurts.

Some situational line ups

Fred
                      Ron
                      Tekele
                      Evan
                      DC

Ron
                      Tekele
                      Evan
                      Zach Brown
                      DC

Fred
                      Tekele
                      Brown
                      DC
                      BWam

Fred
                      Ron
                      Tekele
                      DC
                      BWam

Fred
                      Ria'n
                      Tekele
                      Evan
                      DC

Rob
                      Ryan
                      Telek
                      Darien
                      Wakamoda***

***this lineup coached by Greg Martin
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

That list really puts how thin Tevin Glass is into perspective for me. It will be really interesting to see what Gregg Marshall does with a 6'8" guy who is that light.

It also makes me wonder just how quick he is. If he buys in on defense, we might be about to see the best perimeter defending forward in the Marshall era. How heavy was Aaron Ellis?

Comment

I don't see Evan and Zach at the 4. If they play significant minutes there, then Darius plays the five and we have very little talent in Wamukota, Nurger, Morris, Glass, and Kelly.

This is what i see:

VanVleet for 28 minutes at the point
                          Baker gets 30 at the wing (possibly some at point)
                          Cotton plays 28 at the wing
                          Carter with 25 minutes at the post (4/5)
                          Wamukota/Nurger split the center position with 28 minutes

2 of Wessel/Holland/Brown/Henderson will split the remaining guard minutes.
                          Morris will play 12-15 minutes at the 4 and/or 5.
                          1 of Glass/Kelly will get remaining minutes at the 4.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                            I don't see Evan and Zach at the 4. If they play significant minutes there, then Darius plays the five and we have very little talent in Wamukota, Nurger, Morris, Glass, and Kelly.

This is what i see:

VanVleet for 28 minutes at the point
                            Baker gets 30 at the wing (possibly some at point)
                            Cotton plays 28 at the wing
                            Carter with 25 minutes at the post (4/5)
                            Wamukota/Nurger split the center position with 28 minutes

2 of Wessel/Holland/Brown/Henderson will split the remaining guard minutes.
                            Morris will play 12-15 minutes at the 4 and/or 5.
                            1 of Glass/Kelly will get remaining minutes at the 4.
                            if the uk game qame was any indication, evan wessell should never play the 4.. not if wichita state expects to go deep into the ncaa tournament. zach brown(6'7") could probably do better at the 4 than wessell, but still wouldn't want to see him there (not against the likes of, say, uk, unc etc.). kelly might take to the 4 (against the big boys) once he develops.. he's only a freshman.

Comment

Our mop up squad is going to obliterate teams who have already been blown out in the first 35 minutes

Comment

If we assume a third team of; Simon, Holland, Bush, Glass, and Kelly, then yes, we will extend the score.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X