The Annual Redshirt Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Annual Redshirt Thread

I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion in this topic. We have an unusual situation this year since 3 of our true freshmen already spent an extra year at prep school. 3G likes to use the redshirt if possible and the only likely candidate would be Henderson. We'd be fine this year but how about next year? Do we risk Fred working himself into a first round pick? Is that realistic? Is Holland capable of playing some point this year and sharing time at point down the road?

From what we hear, Kelly, Nurger and Brown are all ready to contribute. Are there enough minutes available for these guys or do we redshirt one of them? Interested to hear some debate on this.

I still think Henderson redshirts.

Comment

Henderson is the only likely candidate, but do we go another season without a true backup for Fred? I'm assuming Holland will play primarily SG. On the other hand, perhaps Ron wants more time at PG since that's what he would most likely play in the NBA. Hmmm...
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Exactly my thought,it is a possibility that Ron will continue to get time at PG for NBA development.
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I don't think there will be any redshirts this year.

Comment

Yep, I think our Redshirt is at Sunrise.

Wichita State went last season without a true backup point guard, but the Shockers are working to get true freshman Cory Henderson Jr. prepared for that role.
            Last edited by wu_shizzle; August 29, 2014, 10:19 AM.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              I don't think there will be any redshirts this year.
              I agree with WuDrWu, and although Marshall has NEVER red-shirted a JUCO, Glass could probably benefit from a year to either improve his skills on the wing, or bulk up. I still find that to be an unlikely scenario, but someone 6-7 or taller and really good isn't going to get any PT.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Everyone scoffs when I mention this, but if Glass can give WSU just 10-15 reasonably effective minutes a game, which he probably can, the Shocks could almost certainly fill 80 minutes at the C and PF spots without using Wamukota, whose background makes him the most undeveloped of any of their bigs.

As for Baker at PG, whatever time he gets there will NOT be because he wants it for his NBA development, or because Marshall wants to showcase him for the pros. After seven years of seeing him operate and hearing him talk, I'm confident Marshall doesn't operate that way, and I can't imagine that Baker thinks in those terms, either. He's all about the team and winning, not himself.
                Last edited by WSUwatcher; August 31, 2014, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  Everyone scoffs when I mention this, but if Glass can give WSU just 10-15 reasonably effective minutes a game, which he probably can, the Shocks could almost certainly fill 80 minutes at the C and PF spots without using Wamukota, whose background makes him the most undeveloped of any of their bigs.
                  HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY SUGGEST A JUCO COULD REDSHIRT!? AAHHHH!!!
                  ARMAGEDDON!!!

Comment

As for Baker at PG, whatever time he gets there will NOT be because he wants it for his NBA development, or because Marshall wants to showcase him for the pros. After seven years of seeing him operate and hearing him talk, I'm confident Marshall doesn't operate that way, and I can't imagine that Baker thinks in those terms, either. He's all about the team and winning, not himself.
                    Good point about baker.

Comment

Baker moving up in the NBA draft, and Baker being successful in the pros, is "off the charts" valuable for the program, and for recruiting.

Comment

When Turgeon was coach I didn't know what a redshirt was.

Comment

Generally speaking, MT had 4-6 players and the rest of the roster was filled out with low ceiling role players. Marshall really does load a roster 12-13 deep and red shorts the ayers that don't understand what is required of them yet, or those for whom no PT is available.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

I don't think Wam gets a redshirt, and that's because he has something we need this year. 7' length and athleticism in the post. Honestly, it's what we were missing against Kentucky. We don't need another post scorer. We need someone who can rebound and defend with ferocity.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Not true. HCGM moved Cooz to SG when he got here because that was his best shot at the pros. He had toure play more PG minutes, because that was his shot. Marshall is there not just to win at that level, but to develop his players into the best basketball players they can be and to prepare them for a future beyond WSU basketball.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X