2014-15 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
    Doesn't matter if they are Seniors or Freshman if they are leaving after the season.
    That makes no sense as part of the discussion of experience vs youth in the WSU/KU game last Sunday. A Freshman leaving after 1 year was still a freshman. A Senior graduating is still a senior. The two are still completely different levels of experience at the time the game was played.

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
    Anyway, why are we still rehashing the KU game. We smoked them. All I care about is ND at this point. And maybe by 8:30, West Virginia.
    That is fine if that is all you care about. Obviously, some of us are discussing other topics because they interest US. Memo to everyone: not everyone shares identical interests. You don't have to act like your interests are the only valid interests. You are free to skip the conversations that don't interest you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
      That is fine if that is all you care about. Obviously, some of us are discussing other topics because they interest US. Memo to everyone: not everyone shares identical interests. You don't have to act like your interests are the only valid interests. You are free to skip the conversations that don't interest you.
      Yeah but it would be nice if the KU talk can stay in the KU thread. It doesn't make me mad, but it does get a little old to open up a thread with new posts and see it is about KU.

However, i also realize that this has always and will always continue to happen. So carry on lol.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• shockerfan, I understand where you are coming from, but this discussion is directly related to a media narrative of veteran/young. Considering KU was the last game WSU played, I would think it is fair to expect that there would be references to KU in the media love thread for the time being.

Comment

• I don't have a dog in this discussion but isn't this more indiciative of coaching philosophy for building a team? HCBS is focused on the "one-and-done" talent pool for team building while HCGM is focused on building a team based around coachable, preferably 4-year athletes augmented with JuCo's to fill noticeable weakness.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Can we get a sticky for JH4P's memos to everyone? I'm having trouble keeping up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
              KU Starters: Jr, So, So, So, Fr
              WSU Starters: Sr, Sr, Jr, Jr, Jr

KU Minutes by Upperclassman: 51
              WSU Minutes by Upperclassman: 171

KU Minutes by Underclassman: 149
              WSU Minutes by Underclassman: 29

KenPom Experience Ranks
              WSU: 157th (Right in the middle of D1)
              KU: 338th (Out of 351 D1 teams)

WSU's bench is young (just like KU's), but WSU has a very veteran starting lineup that plays the majority of the minutes. In the matchup last Sunday, the "veteran team vs young team" storyline was very appropriate.
              I will have to disagree with you and all the other nitwits that use this crap excuse for losing to WSU. It's pretty simple actually, if KU doesn't want to continue to lose to more experienced TEAMS, then quit recruiting one-and-done players. You reap what you sow. If KU continues to bring these types of players into their program, then there is no way in hell they can develop a line-up with experience and NBA caliber skills. Had Joel Embid and Andrew Wiggins stuck around, then the odds of WSU beating KU certainly would have been daunting.

It's a high risk high reward strategy of putting together your team. Obviously it worked well for Duke and Kentucky this year, probably would have worked well for KU last year, if Embid didn't get hurt right before the tournament. Screw all the KU fans and pundits who try and rationalize the loss. KU got worked, not because the Shox had more experience, they got worked because of the Shocker's effort. More experience does not correlate to effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                I will have to disagree with you and all the other nitwits that use this crap excuse for losing to WSU. It's pretty simple actually, if KU doesn't want to continue to lose to more experienced TEAMS, then quit recruiting one-and-done players. You reap what you sow. If KU continues to bring these types of players into their program, then there is no way in hell they can develop a line-up with experience and NBA caliber skills. Had Joel Embid and Andrew Wiggins stuck around, then the odds of WSU beating KU certainly would have been daunting.

It's a high risk high reward strategy of putting together your team. Obviously it worked well for Duke and Kentucky this year, probably would have worked well for KU last year, if Embid didn't get hurt right before the tournament. Screw all the KU fans and pundits who try and rationalize the loss. KU got worked, not because the Shox had more experience, they got worked because of the Shocker's effort. More experience does not correlate to effort.
                Wow, I actually agree with 75% of what you typed...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                  Can we get a sticky for JH4P's memos to everyone? I'm having trouble keeping up.
                  I'm thinking the dude makes a living as a killer secretary.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Yep. I discussed this elsewhere, but it's kinda like putting all your chips on Red. Sometimes you win big; othertimes you lose in the first round of the NIT. If you're going to play that way, be prepared for the occasional first round NIT loss. Personally, I like what we're doing, and I think Marshall does, too. One reason why jumping ship to recruit "better players" may not have the appeal that media types think it does.

Comment

Well, you're right in the sense that they didn't get worked because the Shocks had more experience (again, I'll use this platform to say that experience has ZERO correlation to winning, even though it might seem like it). I do, however, disagree with the assessment that we were better because of effort. KU probably tried just as hard as we did, but we were plain better.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• After reading some comments by KU players following the game, I'm convinced that the effort was far from the same. Seldon said that the KU players didn't take it seriously. Really? A chance to go to a S16 and you need to be coached to take it seriously? Go to Foxsports Kansas city and there are several reports and stories that made me scratch my head.
                        Last edited by Shoxthemonkey; March 26, 2015, 02:54 PM. Reason: punctuation!!
                        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

I think of it like this:
                          Bill Self and John Calipari went to the car lot. Cal got all the nice, shiny, new cars, and Bill thought he got the shiny cars until he took them to the car wash and the paint job washed off, leaving all to see the cars were either clunkers or broken-down. The clunkers and broken-down cars don't have much oomph left anymore. They don't have the acceleration and character of a new car. You can't fault an old car for a lack of effort, it's just that the car's worn out (or wasn't what you thought it was).

Moral of the story:
                          Cal may be a shyster, but he's a better evaluator of talent than Self is. At least he was with his one and done's this year.

Comment

• It's easier to admit that a team is more experienced and tried harder than to admit that they are just plain better at basketball than you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                              After reading some comments by KU players following the game, I'm convinced that the effort was far from the same. Seldon said that the KU players didn't take it seriously. Really? A chance to go to a S16 and you need to be coached to take it seriously? Go to Foxsports Kansas city and there are several reports and stories that made me scratch my head.
                              Ha!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                                When Marshall gets that scowl on his face, I could see why someone would say they looked alike. But you would have to look quick because unlike Crean who has a perpetual scowl and frown, GM only fleetingly looks angry.
                                This may get me banned, but when Marshall turns his head to side and has the"What just happened" look on his face - THIS is who he has always reminded me of:

Squiggy! (and, you know I am right . .)
                                Attached Files
                                If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X