OFFICIAL: 2014-15 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
    I'll never understand why Iowa State fans are so cocky. When the same team has won your league every year for at least a decade, I don't think you should be talking much.
    The irony and baselessness of the ISU arrogance is not just limited to their MBB program. They have no reason to be cocky in basically any athletic context. ISU was a domino away during the most recent wave of conference realignment from hoping to gain entrance to the MWC. It is debatable which current B12 member is the weakest, and least representative of P5 membership, but ISU makes the case possibly louder than either K-State or Tech. They're really P5 wanna-bes, and arguably the weakest sister of the B12.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
      I just had a KSU fan in my store declaring definitively that WSUover the last three years, never would have finished in the top half of the Big12. (This coming from a guy whose team is coached by a blue haired old lady)
      You're stuck out in western Kansas aren't you? Man, I wouldn't last long out there if your typical western Kansas WT K-State fan strolled up to me in his muddy ****-kickers, after hopping out of his rusted-out no muffler '78 F-150, and proceeded to trash the Shocks. I might be in danger of arrest fairly quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        So, how do you, as proprietor, handle an idiot customer? Delicately l assume.
        You let him rant while flaunting your Shocker gear (which he secretly covets).
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• I did something like this a couple of weeks ago to contrast another team, but I thought I'd apply it again to WSU vs Iowa State. I'm a numbers guy, and numbers make the best arguments.

Feel free to cut and paste this for any ISU Cytard arguments that might present themselves. Should shut them down in a hurry. The differences in our programs are mostly either a wash, or are canted in WSU's favor. Look for ISUFan to stick his fingers in his ears and run away from you screaming something associated with conferences, because that about all he can pull out of his quiver.

2013 MBB Expenses:
          WSU - $5.4M
          Iowa State - $5.3M

AP Poll Top 25 Appearances All-Time:
          WSU - 122
          Iowa State - 120

AP Poll Top 25 Appearances 2005-current (10 years):
          WSU - 49
          Iowa State - 34

AP Poll Top 10 Appearances All-Time:
          WSU - 60
          Iowa State - 34

AP Poll Top 10 Appearances 2005-current (10 years):
          WSU - 18
          Iowa State - 5

NCAA Tourney Performance 2005-end 2014 (10 seasons):
          WSU - 4 appearances; 7 wins; seeded #7, #5, #9, #1; 1 F4, 2 S16
          Iowa State - 4 appearances; 5 wins; seeded #9, #8, #10, #3; 1 S16

NCAA Tourney Performance All-Time:
          WSU - 11 appearances; 13-12 overall record; 2 F4, 4 E8, 5 S16
          Iowa State - 16 appearances; 16-16 overall record; 1 F4, 2 E8, 4 S16

Total Program Wins 2005-current (10 years):
          WSU - 236
          Iowa State - 182

Median Final NCAA RPI 2005-end 2014 (10 years):
          WSU - 37
          Iowa State - 111 (ISU has had a better final RPI than WSU only 1 out of those 10 years.)

Median Home Attendance 2005-end 2014 (10 years):
          WSU - 10,410 in a 10,506 capacity arena
          Iowa State - 12,490 in a 14,384 capacity arena

Head Coach Salary:
          WSU - $1.75M with $500K-$750K of performance incentives, many of such earned in any decent year
          Iowa State - $2.2M (?)

Sources available for all of the above. I didn't pull them out of the air.

Comment

• Outstanding work @SHOCKvalue:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
              Honestly, I might prefer WSU being a 6 seed over a 5. I think there are 3 or 4 elite teams and then a lot of really good teams. I'd rather play a 3 seed (
              Iowa State, Utah, Louisville, UNC) and then a 2 seed (KU, Arizona, Villanova, Wisconsin) than playing a 4 seed (UNI, Baylor, Oklahoma, Notre Dame) and then a 1 seed (UK, Virginia, Gonzaga, Duke). We have to play well, but I think we could beat most the 2 and 3 seeds. I'm not sure even if we play well that we have much of a chance to beat most of the 1 seeds. Obviously this is assuming we win our first round game. I used Lunardi's latest bracket for seed projections.
              Thank you for leading into my long-dead-horse-beating approach: it doesn't really matter the ranking, or the seed; if you want to go to the FF, you have to beat the best, whether it's UK, Duke, Az, or Wisconsin. The number in front of them (or us) doesn't matter. Unless you're just happy with a Sweet 16 finish. I personally don't take that approach.

Comment

• My bold prediction is that this is the year we finally get placed in the same region with KU (maybe not so bold?). It's bound to happen sooner or later. Whether we both win enough to get matched up is another story.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Not to defend Iowa St. fans but I've never thought of them as cocky but more as extremely loyal. As stated above they really haven't had an overwhelmingly amount of success but they still attend & follow their sports teams regardless because they want nothing more but for them to explode onto the scene. They enjoy not being Hawkeyes and kind of relish being the underdog in their state and even their conference to an extent. I've offended thought their fans deserved better then they end up getting.
                  If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• A few posts from an Ioway State sausage board.

Re: ISU falls to 14th. UNI 13 in AP
                    Serious question because I haven't paid any attention to them this year. Who, other than WSU (most overrated team in CBB) did the pantherhoks beat?

Meh let UNI enjoy their ranking. I would much rather have it be them then Wichita State or Iowa Hawkeyes.

People asking why UNI or WSU should be top 15 teams aren't haters but practicing common sense. WSU has zero impressive wins, 0-3 vs the best 3 teams they played, they are fringe top 25 material. UNI has wins over that WSU team at home, Iowa in a neutral game that had a home UNI atmosphere, anda not great road loss. These are simple facts.

uni should definitely be ranked but stop moving up by beating nobodies, they should have stayed around 15-20 unless they nab a road win @wsu. WSU should have been 20-30 range all season.

Why are we talking about a team that will lose in the 1st round of the tourney?

The media needs the one or two mid-major darlings to drool over each year. This year:

Gonzaga is 2-1 vs RPI Top 25 and 4-1 vs. Top 50. Not bad at all.
                    Wichita St is 0-2 vs. RPI Top 25 and 1-2 vs. Top 50. Iowa has a better resume by far.
                    UNI is 1-1 vs. RPI Top 25 and 2-1 vs. RPI Top 50.

These mid majors go into the tournament highly ranked and almost always lose early. There is a reason why....they play a mostly crap schedule all year.

To compare UNI and ISU, Iowa State has played 6 games against the RPI Top 25 compared to UNI's 2 and 9 vs. the RPI Top 50 vs. UNI's 3.

Why should we play UNI? There is no benefit. Our conference games provide plenty top 50 RPI win opportunities.

Take Notre Dame this year. That have a 330 Non-Con SOS, but their conference SOS makes up for this. Also, conference play provides them with plenty of top 50 RPI wins. This is why Kansas doesn't play Wichita State, there is no reason for it.

I truly believe there are 7 teams in the big 12 better than UNI. Oh well I'm just going to enjoy our 4th straight NCAA tourney.

Now, as far as UNI goes... congrats to them on a great season, HOWEVER, they shouldn't be anywhere near 13th in the country IMO. That is a complete joke.

The one and only decent team they have beaten is Wichita State, and it's debatable if they are even any good since they haven't beaten anyone themselves. Wichita State was ranked really high to begin the season based off of only what they did last year. And they are 0-3 against anyone with pulse. Oh, and UNI beat them at home, not on the road, as of yet.

IMO, UNI shouldn't have even entered the Top 25 until they beat Wichita State. And without getting any good wins since then, they should still be somewhere between 20-25 IMO.

As someone said, ISU will play more ranked teams this WEEK than UNI will all season. Give UNI ISU's schedule and we'd see where they would be ranked right now. They wouldn't. Playing @WV, @Baylor, KU at home, @KU, @OU, etc, etc, etc each and every week takes a beating on a team. There are hardly any nights where you can get a breather.

Playing Evansville, then Loyola, then Southern Illinois, then Drake, then Missouri State, then Indiana State, etc, etc, etc.... is not even on the same planet as what ISU faces each and every week. Beating teams like that shouldn't even move you up at all in the rankings IMO.

"Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Wow, that is an insane amount of snobbiness. What a bunch of dicks. I hope that their coach gets poached by the NBA and they return to mediocrity.

Comment

• Idiots Out Wandering Around

Comment

• The ISU attention, to me, only confirms their recognition that we are a nationally relevant program. Their words are just typical fan forum BS.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Has Iowa State even been to a Final Four?
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Interestingly, Iowa State got drubbed by nearly 20 to Texas Tech, a team that got drubbed by nearly 20 to a 7th place Valley team named Loyola.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Iowa State is being hammered by Oklahoma as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X