No announcement yet.

Marshalls Quotes in the Eagle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my manager publicly humilates me, I'm gone. Maybe it's ego but I want no part of any organization that tolerates that.

I think sports may be a bit different but RDR is right on.

Praise in public; criticize in private.

I worked for an arst-hole of a veternarian in Wichita my senior year in high school. I made a small mistake in preparing a dog to be picked up by his owner (I didn't do a complete enough of a job washing him).
    Anyway, the vet scolded me in front of the customer. After the customer left, I told the vet that was may last day and I would come in tomorrow to pick up my last paycheck.

Comment

"a couple more weeks" can also be a preface to , a couple more weeks to buck up and play like men or not. A couple more weeks and we have the opportunity to at least ruin some other teams season in the conference tournament.
      May be GM is hoping for some type of response some sembelance of fire from his team instead of the passivity that they typically display. I attended my first game last weekend, great facility, great crowd, great effort for 33 minutes by a team that was far worse than I had imagined. WSU had no, absolutely no business being ahead of SIU for that whole game. Then as the clock wound down the players seemed to realize that and freeze. As we say in Texas , if most of these guys had been at the Alamo I'd be typing in Spanish right now.
      Coach isn't gonna change and I am grateful for that. By the way when we get some fighters on the team, you won't be reading about his comments akin to the other days because he won't have to make them.
      Unleash Brett Burley, let all tremble before him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
        If my manager publicly humilates me, I'm gone. Maybe it's ego but I want no part of any organization that tolerates that.

I worked for an arst-hole of a veternarian in Wichita my senior year in high school. I made a small mistake in preparing a dog to be picked up by his owner (I didn't do a complete enough of a job washing him).
        Anyway, the vet scolded me in front of the customer. After the customer left, I told the vet that was may last day and I would come in tomorrow to pick up my last paycheck.
        I think it is just different people. I kind of agree with your boss. He is running a business and mistakes of his employees reflect on him and he didn't want his customer thinking that was acceptable. I know you can't beat people up everytime and expect them to come back. But instead of quitting, you could have admitted you made a minor error and never made that mistake again. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES DAILY!!!! The thing is that still today you remember what happened and why it happened. Not trying to beat on you personally ABC, just using your example and turning it to show the difference in styles between MT and HCGM.

Comment

I heard Bill Parcells say one time "You are what your record says you are."

We are 10-17. We are not good. We are not deep. We run out of gas at about the 7 minute mark in every game. While I think our players are giving their all, their all is just not enough. We don't have enough depth to sustain any kind of lead.

We lost to some pretty sorry teams early on (UTA, Monmouth, etc.). CGM has us playing as well as we possibly can. We have been really close in a lot of games only to miss freethrows that would have won the games for us.

The team has improved even thru the injurys. The teams we are taking to overtime now would have blown us out early in the season.

Here is what CGM has to work with now.

We have 1 above average D1 player in Cooz.
          Matty B. plays with a lot of heart but once the D clamps down on him he quits scoring. MB does leave it all on the court & he is my favorite.
          Phil is.....well he's Phil. He is undersized for his position and below average. He would be a backup on a good team.
          Ramon is a good rebounder but not a consistent scorer.
          Gal is two years into American ball and still learning and still making freshmen mistakes.

AE, JT, are freshmen. They have shown flashes of what we will see in the future but on any above average D1 team, they would not be playing at all.

Lance is a walkon and wouldn't be on the court if we had healthy players.
          Wendell is not a good D1 player.

Cooz and MB are the only two who would have a possiblity of starting on a good D1 team at this point in their careers. The rest would be role players.

Some of you don't like what CGM said but what he says is truth. I don't necessarily beleive that he has given up, he just knows that in a couple of weeks it is over. It would be a major miracle (and I do beleive in miracles) for us to make it past Friday in St Louis. An NCAA berth ....well it's just not going to happen.

Just last week he said that he believes that this team has had so many bad breaks that he felt like something good was going to happen before it is all over. It didn't sound like he had given up to any of us then.

I have some bad news for some of you. Next year if we don't get some juco studs in here, you'll be just as frustrated. All of the mistakes that JT makes on defense are freshmen mistakes. Our core next year will be freshmen. You'll see alot of the same mistakes being made. I hope I'm wrong.

One last thing, if CGM or this team were going to quit, it would have happened way before now. Seeing / hearing the last three games has proved that they are not quitters !!! I beleive that they are all giving 110%. There is just not enough in the tank to close the deal.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

RDR, I agree with you, however I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the comments HCGM has made in the media. He has placed blame on himself (in post game interviews with MK) as well as on the players. These comments may seem broad as they apply to the entire team. But FWIW, I get the impression that HCGM is speaking to specific individuals and those individuals know that he is speaking to them.

As players, they need to be accountable for what they bring to the table, or in this case, basketball court. If what is being said in the locker room isn't working, call them out publicly. If he didn't think that they were capable of performing at a certain level, they would sit the bench.

The humiliation is not being called out in the public eye, the humiliation is not giving 100% on the court. It has been said before, we can deal with loosing if they give their all, we wont put up with loosing because they gave up.
            That rug really tied the room together.

Comment

[quote="shockfan89"]
              Originally posted by ABC

That's just being a bad manger. I publicly take responsibility for all of the acitons of my subordinates. I deal with mis-steps privately. Managers who public criticzie lose good people. I wouldn't want someone around who would tolerate public criticism. That tells me that have no self-confidence or pride.
              I think it is just different people. I kind of agree with your boss. He is running a business and mistakes of his employees reflect on him and he didn't want his customer thinking that was acceptable. I know you can't beat people up everytime and expect them to come back. But instead of quitting, you could have admitted you made a minor error and never made that mistake again. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES DAILY!!!! The thing is that still today you remember what happened and why it happened. Not trying to beat on you personally ABC, just using your example and turning it to show the difference in styles between MT and HCGM.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89
                Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                It never pays to trash players publicly. Never.

That kind of talk belongs in the locker room.

There is not a single poster on this fine forum, who would approve of being publicly humiliated in the media by his manager. None.
                I understand what your saying, but different people react differently. If it was my manager publicly humilating me, I would want to do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure it never happened again. Meaning I would work harder and bust my butt to ensure he didn't have anything to say. Maybe that shows my age? But every coach I had from high school through college motivated us using public humiliation. Maybe the majority of kids don't react well to that anymore???
                RDR makes a good point, however IMO sports is a little different animal. :good:
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I haven't heard or read everything that HCGM has said. But I've yet to hear him say anything about an individual player that wasn't already obvious to the general fan.

Most, if not all, of the criticism I have heard has been collective. That is, it is in the context of the team. And again, it hasn't been anything weren't seeing for ourselves.

As for the on-court comment about not giving Mekel the ball, was there a more suitable alternative to communicate the message at the time it was said? I was not able to watch the game so I don't know.

What I do know is that this season has been a debacle. A debacle on a scale Marshall has never experienced. Combine that with the pressure from fans, the admnistration and himself to win, and I will forgive him of these transgressions.

It sounds like there are some among us who would prefer the coach avoid all negativity with regards to the players. If he were to do that, they might as well cut the coach's show to a half-hour or eliminate it altogether. Unless you want to hear questions like:

"Coach, I've missed the last 15 times you've heaped praise on our incoming recruits. Could you do it again please?"

"Coach, what are Gal Mekel's redeeming qualities on the court? I'll hang up and listen."

"Coach, could you expand a little on what the team is doing right on offense? Oh, and defense, too? Thanks."

I know I'm being a little absurd, but I think we're blowing this issue a little out of proportion. Probably due to the frustrations of this season. But until Marshall says something like "I just don't see <insert players' name> having what it takes to play for me next year", maybe we should cut him a little slack.

Comment

I think some are being 'overly sensitive' and thin skinned. If a player can not take direction from the coach, then they don't have the staying power needed to begin with. I think a couple of you need to take off your skirts and put some pants on, and you, obviously, were never in the military.

Do you think there is not criticism in any other sport, private or public. When people make dumb mistakes, or act contrary to what is expected of them, they get told about it .... period.

A company setting is different than sports are. In sports you are in the public's eye, and subject to evaluation by everyone that watches your performance, as is the coaching staff.

A constant calling out might be a problem, an occasional calling out is not. If Gal is going to get highly upset because Coach said not to throw the ball to him, then he doesn't belong on the team to begin with. The coach, obviously, wanted something different, and for his own reasons.

The Coach should not have to hold each of his players' hands throughout the season. This is not Jr. High ball.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                      What can you expect with only 10 healthy players?
                      And over half of those players should be red-shirted or not even be playing at this high of a level of D-1 basketball in the first place. IMO, we only have 4 guys that could contribute to other programs at WSU's level. Matt, PJ, Phil and Ramon.
                      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Perhaps the coach is aware that making public comments may lead to 'resignations'?
                        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                          I think some are being 'overly sensitive' and thin skinned. If a player can not take direction from the coach, then they don't have the staying power needed to begin with. I think a couple of you need to take off your skirts and put some pants on, and you, obviously, were never in the military.

Do you think there is not criticism in any other sport, private or public. When people make dumb mistakes, or act contrary to what is expected of them, they get told about it .... period.

A company setting is different than sports are. In sports you are in the public's eye, and subject to evaluation by everyone that watches your performance, as is the coaching staff.

A constant calling out might be a problem, an occasional calling out is not. If Gal is going to get highly upset because Coach said not to throw the ball to him, then he doesn't belong on the team to begin with. The coach, obviously, wanted something different, and for his own reasons.

The Coach should not have to hold each of his players' hands throughout the season. This is not Jr. High ball.
                          You're right, HCGM is in the public eye and being scrutinized accordingly. Managers like you lose good people. If our coach didn't want Gal to have the ball he would have been better served sitting him down or telling Matt privately, before the play, to not let Gal try to win the game. That would be good coaching and team management.
                          Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Why is public embarrassment such a big deal to everyone? I was publicly and privately embarrassed in front of large crowds and teammates a few times when I played college baseball and I turned out just fine. It made me mad and I wanted to make sure that didn't happen again, so I worked harder and changed my ways. If you play a high level of athletics, you have to be able to take tough criticism or you'll never succeed. And please, everyone, stop comparing high level athletics to the corporate world, they're not even remotely similar. Trust me, I've been apart of both. Coaches of college basketball teams should never act like a manager of a call center at Cox Communications.
                            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

In the corporate world, the heirarchy allows managers to protect an unseen employee from a customer or higher-ups in the organization. But that isn't the case in college basketball, where every member of the organization is exposed and his every move is seen.

As fans, we want answers. And we put it on the media to get those answers. What is the coach then supposed to do when asked in interviews what he thinks or what the problem is? What would be the point if all we're going to get is canned coach-speak?

As long as the coach isn't berating a player publically or making a spectacle of his short-comings, I don't see a problem. Obviously, there's a gray area and we are never going to agree on exactly what is or isn't acceptible.

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
                                Originally posted by rrshock
                                What can you expect with only 10 healthy players?
                                And over half of those players should be red-shirted or not even be playing at this high of a level of D-1 basketball in the first place. IMO, we only have 4 guys that could contribute to other programs at WSU's level. Matt, PJ, Phil and Ramon.
                                And I probably wouldn't even include Phil in that list. So that is really 3 out of 10. That's not good anywhere, let alone in the MVC.

Comment

Working...
                                X