No announcement yet.

Welcome to the Jayhawk Conference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good lord this is his first season as a head coach at WSU. 8) :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

To me, the point of coach making $750,000 as a criticism is moot until he's given adequate time build the program back up. Heck, he could make 7,000,000 and with this year's situation money alone can't turn the proverbial water into wine if you catch my meaning. However, if we were having the same conversation next season at this time with no noticeable improvement in the team's success/record/etc., then it'd be a little different. Steady improvement from season to season is what I'm looking for. That's what Turgeon (love him or hate him) showed every season until his last one and to me set the benchmark in that way.

Though I admit I am purely speculating here, I find it hard to believe that ANY coach could come in with the same players and more importantly same circumstances and come out with a record that is much if any better. So, one bad season a coach's job does not make. I don't think any salary--no matter how large would allow any coach to suddenly find players and heal injuries, etc.

Until adequate time has been given for recruiting and progress to be made, I am reserving any judgments. No doubt the pressure will only get greater from this point on as excuses become less acceptable, but I am quite sure coach is well aware of that. Ultimately Jim Shaus--who I believe to be the best man steering the ship we could have knows far more than any of us do about Coach Marshall's program and it's potential.

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
        To me, the point of coach making $750,000 as a criticism is moot until he's given adequate time build the program back up. Heck, he could make 7,000,000 and with this year's situation money alone can't turn the proverbial water into wine if you catch my meaning. However, if we were having the same conversation next season at this time with no noticeable improvement in the team's success/record/etc., then it'd be a little different. Steady improvement from season to season is what I'm looking for. That's what Turgeon (love him or hate him) showed every season until his last one and to me set the benchmark in that way.

Though I admit I am purely speculating here, I find it hard to believe that ANY coach could come in with the same players and more importantly same circumstances and come out with a record that is much if any better. So, one bad season a coach's job does not make. I don't think any salary--no matter how large would allow any coach to suddenly find players and heal injuries, etc.

Until adequate time has been given for recruiting and progress to be made, I am reserving any judgments. No doubt the pressure will only get greater from this point on as excuses become less acceptable, but I am quite sure coach is well aware of that. Ultimately Jim Shaus--who I believe to be the best man steering the ship we could have knows far more than any of us do about Coach Marshall's program and it's potential.
        Generally I agree with you, however, I do think we need to be careful about setting our expectations to high for next year. We are going to have a very different roster next year with the possiblity of 5 new starters, although I'm betting Ramon will claim one of those starting spots.

We will generally still be pretty young and inexperienced.

Hopefully, the injury bug will be much kinder to us next year. Just the added depth should help some.

I think we will be better, but I think we need a couple more solid recruiting classes and a couple more year's of experience under the new guys' belts and we can then evaluate HCGM's performance.

Have to like this 1st recruiting class though, especially if EO actually makes to Wichita.

Comment

At this point, there ain't nowhere to go but up, so the steady improvments (note--steady, not drastic or major) shouldn't be too difficult.

I agree on the recruiting class. I also agree it will be a young team, but hopefully one that can not be bogged down overly with the bad karma of this year's team.

Comment

Working...
          X