No announcement yet.

Credit is due

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My analogy is that Sexton is like Barry Switzer when he took over Jimmy Johnson's cowboys or if you are a 49rs fan Seifert when he took over for Walsh. Schaus made the best two hires Jody and HCGM in the history of the school. God forbid HCGM leaves and only then will we find out what Sexton is made of. Lets be honest just as long as he keeps the jet fueled and let coach run the program things should take care of themselves for the forseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Wrong board. My bad. Although credit is still due to Garrett for the successful execution of the suicide squeeze.

ADES deserves no credit for that play however.
      Good call on Sexton, 1972. Much more levelheaded than some posters. And although you were certainly off topic, it was by no means the worst deviation I've seen, as telling as that might be.

Comment

Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
        Did Sexton hire Jody Adams? Shockers winning their first and second MVC regular season championships in basketball the last two years and their first ever in softball today are impressive accomplishments for women's sports at WSU.
        Jim Schaus hired Jody Adams, who now is the all-time winningest coach both in number of wins and winning percentage at WSU, although her tenure hasn't been without some controversy. OTOH, Jim also hired Jody's predecessor Jane Albright who has the lowest winning % of any Shocker WBB coach. So Jim kind of owns the bookends on that one. Actually, I thought Jane looked like a decent hire at the time it was made.

Jim also hired Tim Walton for the softball team which was a great hire but only last 3 years before Florida picked Tim off. Jim then replaced Tim Walton with Mike Perniciaro which didn't work out so well.

Just goes to show that hiring coaches, like recruiting, is not an exact science.

I believe Eric Sexton has hired three head coaches in his tenure. A young Colin Foster to take over a successful women's tennis program. In five year's Foster's teams have never lost a MVC match. He also hired Kristi Bredbenner to take over a softball program in serious decline under Pooch. At this point that hire is looking pretty good. Of course, he most recently hired Todd Butler to take over the baseball program from legendary coach Gene Stephenson (who was hired by Ted Bredehoft). The jury is still out on Coach Butler but it's hard not to like the man and root for him to be a success.

At this point I think Eric has done well in the hiring of coaches department although it is a small sample size. And I hope it stays a small sample size for a long time. And yes, he deserves some credit for keeping Coach Marshall happy and in the fold (not to mention Coach Lamb, Coach Rainbolt, etc. etc.)

That's not saying he is perfect. I don't think he is a Jim Schaus, and he wasn't even in the ballpark with Jim when he was hired, but I believe he is growing as an AD and, hopeuflly, will continue to grow over time.

If Eric could engineer getting the Shockers into a stronger conference then his legacy as a successful Shocker AD would pretty much be established.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 6, 2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Isn't it the job of the University President to look at conference affiliations? I would look more to Bardo for this than ADES.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
            Isn't it the job of the University President to look at conference affiliations? I would look more to Bardo for this than ADES.
            I'm sure Dr. Bardo will have to sign off on any move and no move will be made without his approval, however, there is little doubt where the real work to make this happen will occur and that is in the AD's office. At least, that would be my expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I'm sure Dr. Bardo will have to sign off on any move and no move will be made without his approval, however, there is little doubt where the real work to make this happen will occur and that is in the AD's office. At least, that would be my expectation.
              If you look at CU it was their president and read somewhere that their AD was cool to the move. I don't see how you leave this to the athletic department to move through because this type of move is much bigger than just athletic department.

Comment

I believe I agreed it will ultimately by Bardo's call, one way or the other. I simply pointed out a lot of the footwork and grunt work will be done by the athletic department. A collaborative effort I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                X