No announcement yet.

Derail Green gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get me wrong, both he and Jake White will forever be Shockers and will hold a special place in shocker history because they both were on very special teams. I think there are better fits out there for what Marshall is building, and if Marshall could trade a long shot that might have a good senior year in three years for immediate contributors that bring more to the table, then that's a change I support. Marshall knows best. I think that the bottom end of the roster will be in constant fluctuation not unlike the rosters of good football teams in the NFL. It's not so much a knock on the players as it is a complement to a staff that is constantly trying to make the team better. If you keep players like Derail who could be a player his senior year, and you refuse to fluctuate the roster, you end up in the mid major holding pattern, like drake and uni and any other MVC teams who build for 4-6 years before they make the tourny. If this is what it takes to be successful than so be it.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I don't believe we should make the assumption that 3G asked Derail to leave. It seems just as likely, to me anyway, that Derail recognized that he perhaps lacked the quicknes and physique to earn many more minutes and that his skill set might enable him to play and contribute greatly somewhere else. Just my take on it.

Maybe a combination of both.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
        Like I said, there were only two choices, either Evan or Derail, and I didn't see Evan leaving, what with his dad and granddad going to WSU.
        I could have seen Evan doing a Clint Normore. Can't see him leaving for another basketball opportunity.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

I hate to say it but Derail might fit into Creighton's style of play. Although he may be a little better defensively than what Creighton is used to having played 2-years under Coach Marshall.

Comment

Evan was never a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
              Illinois State?
              He doesn't have the right women hitting skills that Muller is looking for.

Best of luck to Derail! I hope he finds a system that better suits his style.
              Livin the dream

Comment

I assumed that it was Derail, with an outside chance that one of the incoming freshmen wouldn't make it. Never Evan. He may not be a big scoring threat, but he can play pretty solid D, and guys that play good D will always have a place on Marshall's teams.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Illinois State?
                  Probably Kentucky. ;)
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                    I don't believe we should make the assumption that 3G asked Derail to leave. It seems just as likely, to me anyway, that Derail recognized that he perhaps lacked the quicknes and physique to earn many more minutes and that his skill set might enable him to play and contribute greatly somewhere else. Just my take on it.

Maybe a combination of both.
                    The best call of the bunch, im4. No reason at all to assume Derail was asked to leave.

He probably wants to play; most guys do. He can also shoot it. But he has the wrong combination of size, bulk, and quicks for WSU: too light to be a PF and not able to bulk up enough, not able to keep up defensively on a regular basis with a SF or third guard. And he can see that himself; playing time tells all. A juco year to avoid wasting one, followed by two productive years in the right program, would be a good outcome for all concerned.

Thanks for your contributions, Derail.

Comment

He's going to be an academic junior next year, I doubt JuCo is an option.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                        No. JuCo is his best option.

2 years at WSU, a year at a Juco and 2 years in D1 gives Derail 5 years to get his diploma. That route gives Derail the best chance possible to get his college degree. It appears that's going to be the best result he's going to get from his basketball skills.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                          Maybe he and Zach Bush might like to go to Washburn together?

On the other hand, there's always this:
                          image.jpg

Comment

Dang.
                            Thoughts on who will take his spot?

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                              Dang.
                              Thoughts on who will take his spot?
                              I would guess a JUCO AA PF.

13-14: Carter
                              12-13: Early
                              11-12: Hall
                              10-11: Smith
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Willie
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X