New Assistant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    I wonder, since Marshall has been trying to get Jans a head coaching gig for a couple of years, if Marshall already has his replacement on staff.
    Possible. (I assume you're referring to Okon or Smith) I think it was in an article somewhere the past month that Marshall prefers guys who have been head coaches, but obviously that hasn't been a deal-breaker (Grant, Dollar, Ford, Turner).

Comment

Yes, Matt's lack of experience may hold him back for now. He simply hasn't had the time to build up his network.

I believe the following accurately summarizes Matt's resume:

Wichita State - HC Gregg Marshall: Graduate assistant - 2 years. No recruiting and probably no real significant coaching experience but obviously knows how Coach Marshall operates.

Midland College - Assistant Coach - 1 year. Midland went 33-4 and reached the NJCAA Division I national championship game.

Maryland - HC Mark Turgeon - 2 years. Video Coordinator responsible for assisting with scouting, game preparation and video analysis of Maryland practices and games.
      Again no recruiting responsibilities.

Sam Houston State - HC Jason Hooten - 1 year. Assistant Coach.

So yeah, Matt, is pretty light on actual recruiting experience.

Comment

It was talked about briefly on the Coach's show last night. It doesn't seem like it is anything 3G is overly concerned with and that the biggest problem Coach Marshall will is the abundance of candidates he has and/or will have to sort through.

Comment

I believe Jans was an assistant coach for 2 or 3 years before being named the Associate Head Coach. I believe all the current assistant coaches and the new hire will all be Assistant Coaches until 3G decides down the road could be a year or two, who will be named Associate Head Coach. Maybe a major recruit's daddy or coach or something of that sort :rolleyes:

Comment

I heard that Steve Eck was interested.

Comment

Danny Ainge or Dofo
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Chris Jans completed his 22nd year as a collegiate basketball coach and 7th with Wichita State this year. He was promoted to Associate Head Coach in 2011-12. So he was on 3G's staff for 4 years before being promoted to Associate Head Coach.

Talk about a guy who has paid his dues. He has earned his shot at a D-1 head coaching job.

Steve Forbes has been in collegiate coaching game for 25 years. A very, very experienced and seasoned assistant.

I think Greg Heiar has at least 11 seasons of experience including 5 years as HC at Chipola Junior College. He was 164-15 as HC of Chipola.

Comment

If things don't pan out for Barry Hinson at SIU and he's looking for a nice gig that pays more than his HC position, it would be awesome to have him as associate head coach in a couple years.
                  ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                    If things don't pan out for Barry Hinson at SIU and he's looking for a nice gig that pays more than his HC position, it would be awesome to have him as associate head coach in a couple years.
                    Do you think 3G would have him do WSU post-game interviews? :excitement:

Comment

That would be terrific. He a Marshall would make a great duo.
                      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
                        That would be a requirement in his contract!
                        The Assman

Comment

I don't know about that but, hopefully, his wife is available to show our bigs how to pump fake.

Comment

No....

... He would do ALL interviews.
                            You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Unlikely. If Barry takes another assistant Coaching gig it won't be in the valley.

That's just a personal opinion of mine and I could be wronger than a doornail
                              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                                That would be terrific. He a Marshall would make a great duo.
                                This would be awesome. Constant entertainment.
                                "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

Working...
                                X